Starting Jan. 16th!

ChristinR

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi dears!
Can't believe we are already in the home stretch!!

I wasn't feeling any NSVs until this past weekend..... But first, let's talk about the PATRIOTS! New England gal at heart right here and I am so pumped! And speaking of the super bowl, I made complaint buffalo wings/dump ranch, guacamole with veggies to dip, and paleo potato skins that were a big hit! It was difficult being around so much non-complaint foods but I did it!! NSV #1 ....Sippping on my La Croix with an orange slice wasn't too bad either!

Also, yesterday I ran a 5k race in the morning and felt awesome despite the bitter cold, I finished strong, 2 minutes faster than 2 weeks ago, passing my friend who has recently been beating me (..even though I was the one to teach her and inspire her love for running!) NSV #2 (Maybe I am experiencing this "tiger blood" they talk about.)

I am feeling more confident and am excited what this program has done for me so far.

Cheers to another great week! xo

I was having major cravings all weekend, but it also was the end of that time of the month, and I always get cravings then haha. I am feeling pretty good, though! My stomach has been feeling much better and I have been having easier times in the bathroom (sorry TMI) definitely a NSV because I had so many problems before. I do not know if I am feeling the Tiger Blood though. I was extremely tired all weekend long and ended up with a major headache Sunday while I was driving home from Buffalo, 3 hours in the car with a migraine..not fun. So not sure if it was a weather related headache or if had something to do with my hormones due to the time of the month. 

I have found that I really do not need to snack anymore (another NSV). Usually, at work, I always am reaching for something to munch on throughout the day, but I do not even feel the need! I will be reintroducing things slowly after we are done, and will most likely continue to follow the Whole30 during the week as much as I can. 

I've also been feeling really good lately, I'm one day behind most of you, but I'm pretty happy I've made it to day 21! I've noticed that my food cravings have really gone down. In fact, yesterday during the Super Bowl my husband had potato chips, and I didn't feel interested at all... I remember how they make me feel, and it just didn't seem worth it. THAT's a big improvement for me, and if I don't have any other improvements, that still makes me happy!

I have ulcerative colitis, and have been eating fodmaps... so I'm wondering about a slow and gradual reintroduction of foods at day 31, and then starting up another Whole30 in a few weeks, but this time without the fodmap foods. It just seemed too hard to eliminate them for this first Whole30. Does this make sense? or should I simply extend whole eating beyond the 30 days? Thoughts anyone?

Thanks

One week left, y'all! 

So I have a bit of a conundrum, and I'm hoping a moderator can help. Yesterday and today I have been hungry about 1 - 1.5 hrs after eating lunch! I feel satisfied after eating lunch, but then get actual hunger pains (yes I would eat chicken and broccoli). I tried drinking water and today I tried adding more healthy fats to breakfast and lunch, but still, hungry. 

Heres what I ate: 

m1: egg bake that has potatoes, prosciutto, spinach, broccoli, tomatoes, and red pepper sauce, with fruit (today I added bulletproof coffee made with ghee and coconut cream); m2: 2 curry chicken tenderloins (approximately 2oz each, so 4oz total), 1/2 cup riced cauliflower with grilled peppers/onions/zucchini, and fruit (today was 1 cup each of Brussels sprouts and asparagus, and I added almond butter with apple, plus a clementine)

I get a little hungry before lunch time, but usually drink and power through... thinking I may need to add more protein to breakfast but not sure about lunch. Any input is appreciated!

Newbie & first time posting.  I also started Jan 16th and am kicking myself for not getting in on the forum sooner!  I was living on sugar and decided at the end of December that I'd had enough and fell upon the Whole30.  Typically, I keep diet/food plans to myself but this time I told people what I was doing so I'd feel compelled to follow through.  I can hardly believe it's week 3...leaving the sugar behind has been more manageable than expected!  My head feels SO much clearer.  Bloating has eased quite a bit - I seem to notice it resurface some when I have large amounts of raw veggies. 

I'm seriously considering a Whole60.  I'm wondering if it's advisable to just keep on the same routine straight through or whether some re-introduction should be done first?   I still felt tired and sluggish late last week (carb flu, still?) but that seems to be easing this week. I just feel like my body could use a bit longer break. 

13 hours ago, ChristinR said:

So I have a bit of a conundrum, and I'm hoping a moderator can help. Yesterday and today I have been hungry about 1 - 1.5 hrs after eating lunch! I feel satisfied after eating lunch, but then get actual hunger pains (yes I would eat chicken and broccoli). I tried drinking water and today I tried adding more healthy fats to breakfast and lunch, but still, hungry. 

Eat chicken and broccoli (or whatever mini meal food you have available) and move on.  If you are hungry...eat! 

It could be hormonal....There seems to be 1-2 days a month where I feel the need to add in another meal.

I don't know how some of you stopped being hungry. I feel like I want to eat all the time, and like my body is craving something, but I can't quite figure out what. I also don't feel full of  energy, the upside of which is that I naturally made my bedtime a better one

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, huliganjetta said:

I don't know how some of you stopped being hungry. I feel like I want to eat all the time, and like my body is craving something, but I can't quite figure out what. I also don't feel full of  energy, the upside of which is that I naturally made my bedtime a better one

Could you list a couple of days' worth of meals, including approximate portion sizes? If we knew what you were eating, we might be able to offer suggestions.

Do try to make each meal match the meal template. That means 1-2 palm-sized portions of protein, the length, width, and height of your palm, or if eggs are your only protein, have as many whole eggs as you can hold in your hand; 1-2 thumb-size servings of fat, or 1/2 to a whole avocado, or a heaping handful or two of olives or coconut flakes, or 3-7 oz of full fat canned coconut milk, or a small handful of nuts or seeds -- and you should have at least one of these in addition to any fat you cook in, as much of the cooking fat stays in the pan; and then fill the plate with vegetables -- lots of vegetables. Occasionally, have some fruit if you want to, but focus on the vegetables.

Most people feel best if they have a fist-sized serving of starchy vegetables each day, some do fine with less. Some people, especially those who are active, who are prone to depression or anxiety, or women who are nursing, pregnant, or in the week or leading up to their period need more.

Also be sure you're drinking plenty of water -- aim for 1/2 oz per pound of body weight, so a 120-lb person needs at least 60 oz. And don't forget to salt your food.

• Moderators
16 hours ago, honeybuzz said:

Newbie & first time posting.  I also started Jan 16th and am kicking myself for not getting in on the forum sooner!  I was living on sugar and decided at the end of December that I'd had enough and fell upon the Whole30.  Typically, I keep diet/food plans to myself but this time I told people what I was doing so I'd feel compelled to follow through.  I can hardly believe it's week 3...leaving the sugar behind has been more manageable than expected!  My head feels SO much clearer.  Bloating has eased quite a bit - I seem to notice it resurface some when I have large amounts of raw veggies. 

I'm seriously considering a Whole60.  I'm wondering if it's advisable to just keep on the same routine straight through or whether some re-introduction should be done first?   I still felt tired and sluggish late last week (carb flu, still?) but that seems to be easing this week. I just feel like my body could use a bit longer break. 

Whether you decide to go for a Whole30 or a Whole60, I'd definitely plan your reintroduction at some point. That part is just as important as the Whole30 itself, so look at your calendar and figure out if you can do 60 days and still have time for reintroductions, or if you need to schedule them earlier than that to be sure you have time for them. You can find more information about what to do after your Whole30 here.

• Moderators
21 hours ago, ChristinR said:

One week left, y'all! 

Heres what I ate: 

m1: egg bake that has potatoes, prosciutto, spinach, broccoli, tomatoes, and red pepper sauce, with fruit (today I added bulletproof coffee made with ghee and coconut cream); m2: 2 curry chicken tenderloins (approximately 2oz each, so 4oz total), 1/2 cup riced cauliflower with grilled peppers/onions/zucchini, and fruit (today was 1 cup each of Brussels sprouts and asparagus, and I added almond butter with apple, plus a clementine)

I get a little hungry before lunch time, but usually drink and power through... thinking I may need to add more protein to breakfast but not sure about lunch. Any input is appreciated!

How many eggs are in your egg bake? When eggs are your only protein, aim for as many eggs as you can hold in one hand, so probably 3-4, and your prosciutto probably didn't add a lot of protein to that.  Also keep in mind that the meal template lists a range of serving sizes, so if two chicken tenderloins is about the size of the palm of your hand (length, width, and height), it's still okay to add more than that if you need to -- you might need 3-4 instead. And definitely don't be afraid to add fat to your meals. It helps to keep you full longer.

@ShannonM816 Thanks for the message!

yesterday: Breakfast: Matcha with coconut oil, banana, 2 fried eggs. Lunch: steamed broccoli and green beans with 1 egg, a couple of dates. A little later baked small sweet potato. Dinner: Chicken soup, more sweet potato. More chicken soup liquid.

Today: Chicken for breakfast +matcha with coconut oil. Lunch again broccoli and green beans with 2 eggs. More chicken after +some salad greens. Almonds as I'm typing. 

I do salt my food, but not a lot. I generally barely ever use salt, because I don't like it nor how it makes me feel. Hydration is not a problem, I drink a lot.

18 hours ago, honeybuzz said:

Welcome! Glad to have you here. You may have some company on that Whole60...

@ShannonM816 The egg bake has a dozen eggs, and makes six servings, so about 2 eggs/serving. Definitely think the prosciutto was not adding enough extra protein. This morning I had 1.5 slices, plus some blueberries with coconut cream and drizzle of almond butter, and I didn't get hungry before lunch.

I increased what I had for lunch today, and I still got a little hungry around that 3:30pm mark, but not as bad as the last two days. I had a baked potato with about 2 cups of the chicken cacciatore, green beans, and an orange.

thanks for all the input!

• Moderators
3 hours ago, huliganjetta said:

@ShannonM816 Thanks for the message!

yesterday: Breakfast: Matcha with coconut oil, banana, 2 fried eggs. Lunch: steamed broccoli and green beans with 1 egg, a couple of dates. A little later baked small sweet potato. Dinner: Chicken soup, more sweet potato. More chicken soup liquid.

Today: Chicken for breakfast +matcha with coconut oil. Lunch again broccoli and green beans with 2 eggs. More chicken after +some salad greens. Almonds as I'm typing. 

I do salt my food, but not a lot. I generally barely ever use salt, because I don't like it nor how it makes me feel. Hydration is not a problem, I drink a lot.

I think you're probably hungry because your meals are a little on the small side. Ideally, each meal will keep you comfortably satisfied for 4-5 hours at a time, Definitely take another look at the meal template.

Work on getting vegetables in every meal, including breakfast. 

When eggs are your only protein, have as many whole eggs as you can hold in your hand, which is probably 3-4. If you don't want that many eggs, you can have some other protein with them instead.

Your lunches and dinners need more fat, and lunch for sure needs more protein. For fats, you can make sauces or dips -- mayo is great for dipping vegetables or meats in, or you can make sauces like chimichurri or other sauces to go over your foods -- these help get your healthy fats, and they're an easy way to change up the flavors in a meal to help prevent food boredom. Or you can have a heaping handful or two of olives or coconut flakes, or half to a whole avocado.

Soup can be hard to judge how much protein and vegetables you're getting, so really pay attention and make sure you're getting at least a palm-sized portion of chicken and lots of vegetables in your soup. It's okay to eat more than one bowl of soup if you need to in order to get enough food.

I've just been lurking on this thread for the last couple of days as I've been flat put at work and home. I had such a rubbish lunch and dinner yesterday... compliant but was definitely not soul food. I was parent helper on a daycare trip to the zoo and forgot to pack anything to eat... had some fruit that was being handed round, and a coffee which helped stave off hunger but man I was shutting down... I guess I'm more fat adapted so wasn't like shaky but more just like slow and foggy, like my batteries were going flat. Had some fruit-and-nut balls (I guess the equivalent of what I think a Lara bar is?) and felt better and got some deli meat and fruit from the supermarket by my work once I got back. And I was home late from work so had to knock back a pretty similar dinner before going out again. Not trying to raise the banner for a pity party here, because you know, it got the job done. Wasn't exciting but it wasn't takeout or instant noodles either. Onwards and upwards after today! 

@ShannonM816 Thanks so much for the feedback - I wasn't certain from what I read if I should do reintroduction after Whole30 and before continuing to a Whole60 (but the more I think about it, the sillier that sounds).  :)

Things I never thought I'd do before Whole30: eat 2 eggs and veggies for breakfast for more than a week in a row; eating chili for breakfast; eating pork chops and sauerkraut for breakfast; enjoying sweet potato toast; enjoying black coffee.  Not a big breakfast person, but it's been so worth taking the time for it!  I love that I'm finally able to eat 3 meals without really looking to snack in between anymore.  But, I do have to say, thank goodness for my -no sugar added- dry fruit for saving me on occasion (tho I don't need to do it as often as I feared I would). 

Ready to stay here for another 30 and keep you company if you choose to @vozelle.  So thankful to Whole30 for helping to change my relationship with food.

2 hours ago, honeybuzz said:

Ready to stay here for another 30 and keep you company if you choose to @vozelle.  So thankful to Whole30 for helping to change my relationship with food.

Thanks @honeybuzz, I was actually thinking of a few others on this thread who have mentioned continuing! I want to do a few specific reintroductions this time around, but will probably see you on future threads.  : )

I am feeling pretty great to have made it to Day 26! Definitely still having a few sugary yearnings, I guess there will always be willpower required here. 

Starting to think about reintroduction, I am going to do the every two days version (think its the fast one).

Looking at the forum, some people are saying the order in the book is the recommended one in terms of starting with the type least likely to cause issues, so I guess I will follow this much as I would love to have a cappuccino straight away...

3 hours ago, MC100 said:

I am feeling pretty great to have made it to Day 26! Definitely still having a few sugary yearnings, I guess there will always be willpower required here. 

Could be the "extinction burst" they talk about... your brain's last ditch effort to lure you back into old familiar habits. Search the term on these forums for more info!

Been awhile since I have checked in.   I can't believe we have made it so far.  The first week was rough for me but has been pretty manageable since.   I have had a few crazy food dreams but almost no cravings while I've been awake.  I thought it would be hard for me to pass things up but I have manged fine in social eating situations and with my black coffee.  My clothes feel maybe a little looser but could be my imagination.  No one has really mentioned anything about my looking different. 

I have been reflecting on the journey and have a few questions for the group.

I was pretty hungry the first two weeks.  I increased my meal size a bit to help.  Honestly meals seem to be larger than a lot of the meals posted by other people but my body was used to eating every two hours so I think that was a big part of it.  I was definitely not eating as healthy as I should have been before this.  The first week I didn't worry about exercising.  The second week I started walking 30 min 5 X a week.  Also, the second week, I noticed a huge upswing in energy.  It was awesome even though I was hungry!  Got a lot done and had an extremely positive outlook.  Felt like Tigerblood was starting. 

Then last week, I was not hungry except for right before it was time for my next meal.  I pretty consistently eat at 6 AM, noon and 6 PM.  I thought this was great and my body was finally switching over. 

This week though I have been really hungry again.  I have not had much change in what I have eaten or sizes over the weeks but this week I have had to dig into a snack or two most days this week.  This morning I was starving by 9 am.  It is my time of the month this week.  Not sure if that has something to do with it. 

Last week and this week, I have stepped that up my work outs to a combo of running and lifting but still for only 30 min a day because I just don't have time for any more.  Do you think that could be the cause for the hunger coming back?  My mood and energy have been lower this week too.  Don't feel bad but definitely doesn't feel like Tigerblood. 

Overall, I really appreciate only eating 3 times a day.  I used to feel like I had to eat all the time and was self conscious about it because other people didn't.  I appreciate that this has gotten me to focus on being healthier and what I put into my body.  I look forward to occasionally having some of my favorite bad foods in the future but don't want to get to where I was.  For example, I feel like I would be happy to have a small taste of one of the brownies  the kids made instead of grabbing a bite whenever I walked past the kitchen.  I appreciate that this has opened my eyes to what is in some of the things that I thought were healthy.  Realized a lot of the teas that I liked had sugar in them. 

I have also appreciated the support this forum has offered. Not sure I would have done as well if I had been on my own!

How is everyone doing? Still in the game? For those who haven't posted in awhile, can we get a quick check-in?

Ready for reintroductions? Making some kind of plan for yourself? This is the part where people are at risk for crashing and burning, going into Day 31 with no plan and next thing you know, Eating. All. The. Things.

So make a plan... the 10 days (or more) of reintro are invaluable if done properly!! You can do it!! Rah rah, GO TEAM.  : )

I was feeling great today.  Worked late and bypassed the gym - I think that's where it started.  LOL

On my way home, hubs asked me to stop and grab KFC for family.  OK, I can handle this.  Out of curiosity, I check ingredients in Original recipe, knowing full well it would be off-plan but it's actually worse than I thought.  So I stop at the big box store first and grab a rotisserie chicken so I can eat with everyone else instead of prepping something else.  I also grabbed a bag of small potatoes that can be microwaved.  When I got home, I added some salad and fruit.   Well, one of the potatoes in the bag was bad...which I noticed after eating the few I popped onto my plate.  I don't know if it was the supermarket chicken or the questionable potatoes but...UGH!  My stomach feels like a small bomb has gone off.  Should've just had the chorizo that I already had at home. 

Going out with some friends tomorrow.  If I needed the encouragement to be good while I'm out, I certainly got it with the way I'm feeling tonight.  There's no way I'm going to be talked into "cheating" or having "just one".  I like when my body feels good too much to let myself down.  :)

I hope everyone has a great weekend!  So close to the end of 30!

@Jenn1256 Great job beefing up the workouts!  I wonder if your body is readjusting to the extra calorie burn?  I'll be interested to hear what more experienced members think.  I remember reading in It Starts With Food they say something about a post-workout meal but I can't recall whether that's more for hard core athletes or not.

Amazing about the black coffee, isn't it?? Keep up the good work.

Archived