Starting Jan. 16th!

ChristinR

9 minutes ago, huliganjetta said:

I'm not feeling any lightness in my stomach, and feel bloated. When will it end? :'(

Bloating can be caused by a number of foods - likely culprits are things like garlic, onion, avocado, sprouts, broccoli & cauliflower - or nuts & nut butters too. If you'd like anyone to take a look at you food to see if anything jumps out please  feel free to post a few days worth of your meals, giving specifics on veg types etc, and perhaps we can suggest some tweaks...

6 minutes ago, alikoala65 said:

I am not feeling the tiger blood.  More like major heart burn. I did have a yummy breakfast,  twice baked sweet potato with egg baked in the middle, sprinkled with some bacon. It was a good mix up.

Major heart burn..... could be a lack of stomach acid meaning your stomach has to work a lot harder to pump what IS available around causing a back flow, or could be not enough. Could also be coffee, or a number of foods - again, post a few days worth of your meals and we can take a look and hopefully help you out. In terms of Tiger Blood, not everyone experiences a HUGE surge in energy. Often it can be just a steady energy throughout the day/evening, a kind of a nesting instinct like during the final stages of pregnancy, a calm & steady mood..... Are you eating any oily fish?

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, huliganjetta said:

Will try to cut down

I'd cut them out completely for a few days to let the gut settle. We don't recommend anymore than a closed handful (or equivalent) every other day, max.

Yes they contain anti-inflammatory omega 3 fatty acids, but they also contain a higher level of inflammatory omega 6 fatty acids which can be very hard on the gut.

Hello,

This is my first time posting, just joined the forum, nice to know that others also made the decision to start up Whole30 beyond Jan 1st!

I am on day 15 of my first W30, and it's been going pretty well, I've even got my husband to join me for suppers (he still has cereal for breakfast) but at least I have his support when we're together!

What I've been experiencing the last couple of days is that the amount of food I was eating earlier in the program now seems like too much. I'm feeling really full for most of the day, and today I just didn't get around to eating lunch. Forced myself to have a snack at ~4pm, but now I'm not feeling particularly hungry for supper either. Has anyone else experienced this? Normally I am very happy to eat a whole plate full of food! And I'm not feeling sick either... Thoughts anyone? And thanks in advance :)

4 hours ago, Lesley J said:

Hello,

This is my first time posting, just joined the forum, nice to know that others also made the decision to start up Whole30 beyond Jan 1st!

I am on day 15 of my first W30, and it's been going pretty well, I've even got my husband to join me for suppers (he still has cereal for breakfast) but at least I have his support when we're together!

What I've been experiencing the last couple of days is that the amount of food I was eating earlier in the program now seems like too much. I'm feeling really full for most of the day, and today I just didn't get around to eating lunch. Forced myself to have a snack at ~4pm, but now I'm not feeling particularly hungry for supper either. Has anyone else experienced this? Normally I am very happy to eat a whole plate full of food! And I'm not feeling sick either... Thoughts anyone? And thanks in advance :)

Yes. I've noticed the same and I actually changed my lunch to lighter fare, still with a protein and vegi. But once I eat breakfast, I'm just really not hungry for six hours now. If I eat lunch that late, it becomes too late for dinner. 

Meal 1: left over chili, guacamole, vegetable juice. Coffee with coconut milk. I was in a hurry this morning and didn't cook the egg whites.

meal 2: ground turkey, kale and leak soup, grapes

meal 3: buffalo chili, guacamole& crab salad with jicama and carrots; dessert of pecans, coconut chips, banana 

trying to finish up these left overs before I cook a salmon.

a: good thing I love the chili

b: thank god I didn't double the recipe and use TWO sweet potatoes in it! Lol!

i too am waiting for my belly to get smaller (and my jeans to feel looser). My only consolation is it took much longer than two weeks for it to get bigger in the first place! And I didn't do myself any favors in the way I ate from Thanksgiving to New Years,  "Patience Grasshopper"--Kung Foo (if anyone else remembers that!). I'm going to cut back on the nuts and see if that helps. Still exercising daily, so I really don't think I'm consuming excessive daily intake, so let's see if the nuts are causing my tummy to feel bloated. After tomorrow, Salmon for the rest of this week..can't wait.

6 hours ago, Lesley J said:

Hello,

A lack of appetite isn't uncommon at some point during the 30 days. NOT eating will only perpetuate the problem so we'd recommend you still plate up a template meal, eat from it what you can ensuring you get a little from each food group, then wrap up the remainder to eat as soon as you feel able - don't wait for the next meal. Your appetite will soon come around again. You could also try finding a new recipe, or opt for strong flavours, or a dish you know you'll love... If it's just that your TOO FULL try tweaking the amount of protein/fat in your earlier meal.

1 hour ago, Cher1 said:

Meal 1: left over chili, guacamole, vegetable juice. Coffee with coconut milk. I was in a hurry this morning and didn't cook the egg whites.

meal 2: ground turkey, kale and leak soup, grapes

meal 3: buffalo chili, guacamole& crab salad with jicama and carrots; dessert of pecans, coconut chips, banana 

trying to finish up these left overs before I cook a salmon.

a: good thing I love the chili

b: thank god I didn't double the recipe and use TWO sweet potatoes in it! Lol!

i too am waiting for my belly to get smaller (and my jeans to feel looser). My only consolation is it took much longer than two weeks for it to get bigger in the first place! And I didn't do myself any favors in the way I ate from Thanksgiving to New Years,  "Patience Grasshopper"--Kung Foo (if anyone else remembers that!). I'm going to cut back on the nuts and see if that helps. Still exercising daily, so I really don't think I'm consuming excessive daily intake, so let's see if the nuts are causing my tummy to feel bloated. After tomorrow, Salmon for the rest of this week..can't wait.

Is this a day when you've not been hungry for dinner? If so then the same would apply as lunch doesn't look particularly big....

Re the dessert...... I'd suggest you take the time to really re-think this. If you feel you need something to finish off a meal try some olives or pickles - something at the opposite end of the scale will cleanse the pallet equally as well, and will keep that sugar dragon deep in his cave.

Excited to try the chicken tenders recipe--I thought the almond meal was crazy expensive esp if I wasn't going to be using it so often, I was afraid it would maybe get rancid or old--so I been grinding my own nuts for 'crusts' with my ninja prep :) Works great!

Thanks for all your posts-I don't get on here so regularly, but I love catching up!  Day 18 for me--its been so much easier than I anticipated. No crazy cravings and feeling very satisfied.

Does anyone have any experience with cooking plantains? I just recently starting liking them and would like to add them to a meal..any suggestions/hints would be great!

Yesterday was a complete mess at work with meetings on meetings all day long. 

However, I was not hungry at all when I finally had time for lunch, which was at 3:30 (yikes!). I ate a little bit of the soup that I brought to tide me over until I could get home which at that point I was exhausted.

Meal 1: Roasted sweet potatoes & brussels sprouts, hard boiled eggs and guacamole

Meal 2: little bit of White chicken chili

Meal 3: Ok so here where I was lazy...Chipotle Salad bowl - Chorizo (mine said it was not cooked with the rice oil), tomato salsa, green salsa and guacamole, and a side of frozen grapes

I've noticed that I am not overly hungry anymore at all, I am starting to feel way better and I do believe that my pants are starting to fit a little better! I am having some crazy cravings right now (time of the month), all I want are some peanut butter cups! ahhh.  

I also had odd food dreams over the weekend, I dreamt that I was stocking boxes of candy bars (snickers to be exact) and pop in a giant warehouse for some reason. I didn't eat any though but damn did I want one when I woke up! haha

Lol to the food dreams! This is the point in my Whole 30s where my brain comes up with all sorts of creative and interesting versions of "yeah, you're good now. You got this. You don't need to do the rest of it. Just have the cake/wine/chips and it'll totally work out." So my version of food dreams have been vivid variations of that - reasons not to finish the program because something exciting and special happens... to which I say, sod off, brain! 

I've been having headaches the last couple of days, and have had nuts 2 days in a row. Reading about others' experiences, I will do an n=1 experiment and cut them for a couple of days and see if that helps.

Yesterday breakfast: green chicken, tomato walnut salad. Lunch: pork belly, potatoes, kale chips. Dinner: stir fry veg, roast pork. And I emotionally ate mango and coconut cream after a rough evening of badly behaved kids. Ugh...

19 hours ago, jmcbn said:
On 2017-01-31 at 5:15 PM, Lesley J said:

Hello,

A lack of appetite isn't uncommon at some point during the 30 days. NOT eating will only perpetuate the problem so we'd recommend you still plate up a template meal, eat from it what you can ensuring you get a little from each food group, then wrap up the remainder to eat as soon as you feel able - don't wait for the next meal. Your appetite will soon come around again. You could also try finding a new recipe, or opt for strong flavours, or a dish you know you'll love... If it's just that your TOO FULL try tweaking the amount of protein/fat in your earlier meal.

Thank you, that is helpful. Today I managed to eat the main part of my lunch (skipped the fruit, but I gather that's not a big deal!). Had 1/3 of a 7 egg spinach frittata and 1/2 avocado for Meal 1, then a good size serving of cabbage coleslaw topped with tuna protein salad (equivalent to one tin), so I think I'm eating enough. Still felt full all afternoon, but I was sitting & reading for 3-4 hours (something I'm not used to) and I DIDN'T FEEL SLEEPY! So I think I'm on the right track :) Thanks again!

@jmcbn thanks for the advice. I'll switch to olives. I think the garlic in the chili may have been bothering me. No garlic today, no mad tummy tonight.

I do have questions though. I am maybe mixed up. The chart I see on this site says to eat one closed handful of nuts and seeds, one serving of coconut, and one of avocado at each meal. That's why I was eating the pecan, coconut mixture. ( I added a banana, my only fruit of the day to get the potassium benefit because I'm still on a steroid). I can definitely forego fruit and take a potassium supplement instead. But there's no way I'm meeting the nuts and seeds, coconut, and avacado each meal.

Am I just reading this wrong?

Meal 1: 2 egg whites, a slice of  johnsons no sugar bacon, 1/2 sliced tomatoes & basil, vegetable juice. Decaf Coffee w coconut milk.

meal 2: left over chicken, sweet potato, cauliflower rice

meal 3: salad; romaine, hearts of palm, kalamari olives, artichokes, carrots, tomatoes, jicama and mixture of crab, anchovy, procuttio for the proteins 

off to the farmers market tomorrow. 

10 hours ago, Cher1 said:

The chart I see on this site says to eat one closed handful of nuts and seeds, one serving of coconut, and one of avocado at each meal.

These are some of the available options to choose from - you just need to choose one or sometimes two of them, depending on what you're eating and how it's been cooked.

Hi there my fellow Whole30ers!

I've lost count on what day we are on.... 18? I really am not feeling this "tiger blood" that they are talking about..... Maybe its because of my intense OTF workouts? People around me see a difference in my appearance but I really don't feel it. I guess my jeans feel a little more comfortable but I am just so worried that after all this work, I wont lose a single pound. And I know its not about weight loss but lets be honest, who gives up cheese, bread, pasta, and sugar without wanting to lose some weight?! ;)

I now have the hang of prepping, eating compliant and following the guidelines. I do always worry about my portion sizes.

Costa Rica is calling my name February 27th.... and that's my ultimate motivation!

You're all doing amazing and I am lucky to follow your story alongside mine!

xo

10 hours ago, Cher1 said:

I do have questions though. I am maybe mixed up. The chart I see on this site says to eat one closed handful of nuts and seeds, one serving of coconut, and one of avocado at each meal.

Am I just reading this wrong?

Not only can you reduce to just 1-2 of those options per meal, you actually don't need ANY of them if you are including some other source of fat in the meal, such as Olives, Ghee, Olive Oil, etc. I like to switch my fats around to keep things interesting. Might have coconut butter or olive oil on a sweet potato one day, and guacamole on it the next.

@JoannaC I've found that my weight might not shift much on a W30 but my body does... if people around you are noticing then there will be changes going on for sure! 

So I've been thinking about some of my non-scale victories so far... my clothes fit better and I'm wearing some stuff that I wouldn't have, a fortnight ago. My energy is great, my skin is clear, I don't have brain fog, my evening bloat is less, I'm having fantastically good sleeps, my mood is more even, I've discovered new comfort foods, and I've felt emotionally good about every meal I've had for the last 2 weeks. So - yay!

Anyone else have any NSVs to share?

I definitely have to say that I'm sleeping better, and maybe even need a little less sleep than usual?  Usually I wake up at 5:45 a.m. and drag myself out of bed.  Now I'm awake by 5:00 or 5:30 a.m. and ready to get up.  Even after staying up a bit later than usual!  I definitely have to say a LOT less brain fog and a LOT more patience too!  

I can also pass the candy bowl without thinking "I'll just have one" or even giving it a 2nd look.  That's a HUGE NSV for this chocoholic girl!  

So I made the mayo last night and everything was going well, I was using my immersion blender. I guess I got to excited at the end and pored the last of the oil to fast and just like that it was not mayo. I will try it again tonight. Definitely going to make the white chicken chili. thanks @kpenrod1  @Cher1 I too am confused on the template. I sometimes wonder if I am doing my portions right.

I've noticed my clothes feel looser, i didn't actually weigh myself before starting but took measurements, but not going to take any more till the end.  I definitely think my energy levels during the day are more constant, and higher overall which is great.  

Generally feel pretty good at the moment, still struggling with meal prep time as I'm really not a great cook but getting better (I hope!)

Going to make a batch of this on the weekend: http://blog.williams-sonoma.com/chicken-tagine-with-olives-and-lemons/ - it appears to be compliant

hello all!

Some NSVs I have had are along the same lines as everyone else.  My clothes fit better, I don't feel so "blah", I have a consistent stream of energy through the day and I don't have my normal mommy brain.  I have been very tempted to weigh myself, but it is easy for me to brush it off.  I would hate to jump on the scale only to find my weight didn't change and feel defeated.  I usually don't care what the scale says and focus on how strong I am or my endurance.  These past two weeks have been stressful outside of my diet and I'm not sure if being on Whole30 has added to or eased the stress.  I have found myself craving "something" for the past day.  I don't want a particular food, I just want to munch.  So I make a small meal and end up sated.  

One way you can cook plantains is compliant but I don't think fits the nature of Whole30.  They are called Tostones, fried squashed circles of yumminess sprinkled with salt.

Hi all, I started on Jan 16th as well. Sorry I'm so late to the party! Had my first food dream last night which was a total surprise, so decided I wanted to get on here for the remainder.  Glad to be with you!  

Overall I feel good.  I haven't noticed many of the physical changes yet, but have had other successes.  Perhaps the biggest is feeling freed from hunger and its side affects (hanger).  For example, I was the person who would get major hanger panic if i wasn't eating every 2 hours or if I was out somewhere without a snack.  Low blood sugar was the end of me and anyone around me.  It has been such an amazing transition to be able to go between meals without feeling like I have to eat or I will crash.  Honestly never thought it was possible.  Of course, if I don't have enough fat at my meals, that changes (snacking on jicama as we speak, which by the way is probably my new favorite food). Even so, it's still a very different feeling than how I used to get. On that note, is it possible to overdo it on fats at meals?

Also wondering if anyone else is taking probiotic supplements.  I've read from some people on here that they've had  constipation, but I've been the opposite the last few days (sorry for the overshare) and curious if the lack of dairy/probiotics in my diet might be affecting this?

Thanks!

Archived