Starting Jan. 16th!

ChristinR

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ooo..so does the chicken tangine, if the lemons aren't made with sugar.

i think, following our thread, I just feel much better after I eat-- not bloated down with the carbs. And there is no afternoon crash with the desire to have something sweet or caffeinated ( hello diet dr. Pepper).  I definitely feel my inflammation is decreasing - joints feel better. I don't know about tiger blood, but I'm walking everyday and really enjoying it. Am I thinking clearer? I may be. If I can get rid of grain brain fog hallelujah!

5 hours ago, alikoala65 said:

So I made the mayo last night and everything was going well, I was using my immersion blender. I guess I got to excited at the end and pored the last of the oil to fast and just like that it was not mayo. I will try it again tonight. Definitely going to make the white chicken chili. thanks @kpenrod1  @Cher1 I too am confused on the template. I sometimes wonder if I am doing my portions right.

When we use the immersion blender for the mayo, everything just goes in the container and then you blend the heck out of it! No need to "drizzle" the oil in slowly (which is why we prefer the immersion blender). At the end you'll want to pump the blender a few times to get some air into the mayo for that fluffiness.

Definitely recommend utilizing a cylinder shaped container like a mason jar. Our immersion blender came with a tall container an the blender fits down with a little room to spare.

Good luck on your next try!

So I made the mayo last night and everything was going well, I was using my immersion blender. I guess I got to excited at the end and pored the last of the oil to fast and just like that it was not mayo. I will try it again tonight. Definitely going to make the white chicken chili. thanks @kpenrod1  @Cher1 I too am confused on the template. I sometimes wonder if I am doing my portions right.

When we use the immersion blender for the mayo, everything just goes in the container and then you blend the heck out of it! No need to "drizzle" the oil in slowly (which is why we prefer the immersion blender). At the end you'll want to pump the blender a few times to get some air into the mayo for that fluffiness.

Definitely recommend utilizing a cylinder shaped container like a mason jar. Our immersion blender came with a tall container an the blender fits down with a little room to spare.

(Sorry about the triple post above! My tablet was being weird, and I can't figure out how to delete them)

I finally went to a workout class tonight. My grand plans to start working out daily this week, got sidelined thanks to the hormone hell of the first few days of the week. It felt good to get back to something fun like Zumba, and I definitely need to get exercise back in my routine, even if I just follow a video at home.

Some of my NSVs are less bloating, clearer skin, and eating smaller portions yet feeling completely satisfied.

16 hours ago, leap75 said:

Also wondering if anyone else is taking probiotic supplements.  I've read from some people on here that they've had  constipation, but I've been the opposite the last few days (sorry for the overshare) and curious if the lack of dairy/probiotics in my diet might be affecting this?

You could try kombucha or fermented veg like sauerkraut or kimchi as well as a compliant probiotic.

Certain foods can play havoc with the digestive tract & bowel though so if you'd like to list out a few days worth of your food intake we can take a look and see if there are any glaringly obvious culprits...

9 hours ago, jmcbn said:

You could try kombucha or fermented veg like sauerkraut or kimchi as well as a compliant probiotic.

Certain foods can play havoc with the digestive tract & bowel though so if you'd like to list out a few days worth of your food intake we can take a look and see if there are any glaringly obvious culprits...

Tuesday night: Ground pork sausage (compliant) sauteed with kale and garlic (this meal seemed to upset my stomach a bit)

Wednesday:

Bfast: Coffee w/ nutpod creamer, Sweet potato toasts with avocado, EVOO, pepitas; cashew butter, bananas, cinammon

Lunch: Mixed green salad with smoked trout, apples, pepitas, tomatoes, avocado, shallots, homemade balsamic vinaigrette dressing. 

Dinner: Pork shoulder carnitas using this recipe (https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1012463-tacos-de-carnitas) with a homemade butternut squash "tortilla" (This meal was very rich and also seemed to upset my stomach a bit)

Thursday:

Bfast: Coffee w/nutpod creamer, Smoothie with coconut milk, cashew butter, spinach, kale, banana, avocado, cinnamon

Lunch: Leftover homemade chicken soup (didn't eat enough so snacked on some jicama a few hours later)

Dinner: Baked salmon, sauteed kale w/ garlic, roasted cauliflower (this meal also upset my stomach)

I've had bloating/upset tummy the last 3 nights and looking through this, garlic seems to be the consistent ingredient when that happens. Outside of that, I have noticed looser BMs for the last week or so. I started using nutpod creamer about a week ago.  Before that was using straight coconut milk. Not sure if that would be the culprit.  Or just more healthy fats than i ever have in the past? 

Anyway, thanks for taking a look. Appreciate your help!

16 hours ago, leap75 said:

Tuesday night: Ground pork sausage (compliant) sauteed with kale and garlic (this meal seemed to upset my stomach a bit)

Wednesday:

Bfast: Coffee w/ nutpod creamer, Sweet potato toasts with avocado, EVOO, pepitas; cashew butter, bananas, cinammon

Lunch: Mixed green salad with smoked trout, apples, pepitas, tomatoes, avocado, shallots, homemade balsamic vinaigrette dressing. 

Dinner: Pork shoulder carnitas using this recipe (https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1012463-tacos-de-carnitas) with a homemade butternut squash "tortilla" (This meal was very rich and also seemed to upset my stomach a bit)

Thursday:

Bfast: Coffee w/nutpod creamer, Smoothie with coconut milk, cashew butter, spinach, kale, banana, avocado, cinnamon

Lunch: Leftover homemade chicken soup (didn't eat enough so snacked on some jicama a few hours later)

Dinner: Baked salmon, sauteed kale w/ garlic, roasted cauliflower (this meal also upset my stomach)

I've had bloating/upset tummy the last 3 nights and looking through this, garlic seems to be the consistent ingredient when that happens. Outside of that, I have noticed looser BMs for the last week or so. I started using nutpod creamer about a week ago.  Before that was using straight coconut milk. Not sure if that would be the culprit.  Or just more healthy fats than i ever have in the past? 

Yes, garlic can be very problematic, as can nuts & their by-products (nut-pods, nut butter etc). I'd  start by removing the garlic (you can use garlic  infused oil for flavour) and the nuts/nut products & see how you go. If there's no improvement come back to me & I'll look again.

As an aside smoothies really are discouraged here. The body processes liquid food differently to solids in that it doesn't produce digestive enzymes to process it (it's the act of chewing which activates the production of the enzymes) and so there's not the same satiety signal meaning you tend to get hungrier sooner, and smoothies tend to be fruit heavy - yours was completely lacking in protein.

Here's the official take on them:

Smoothies: We’d rather you didn’t

This is a very popular question, with a very unpopular answer. Smoothies (generally made using lots of fruit) are technically compliant on your Whole30, but we strongly recommend against it. Food that you drink sends different satiety signals to your brain than food that you chew. So when you drink your meal, your brain isn’t getting the feedback it needs to tell your body that it’s had enough of what it needs. Plus, smoothies are generally really fruit-heavy, and starting your day off with a liquid sugar-bomb sets you up for cravings, hunger, and volatile energy levels throughout the day. In summary, we’d rather you just eat the food, and skip the smoothie.

22 hours ago, leap75 said:

Wednesday:

Thursday:

If you suspect garlic, the cruciferous veggies (kale, cauliflower) could also be playing a role... maybe you are FODMAP sensitive? See this link for info: http://paleoleap.com/fodmaps-and-paleo/  (moderators, any input here?)

When I did my first Whole30 I found I was sensitive to some of the foods that are high in Oligosaccharides (the "O" in FODMAP); artichoke, asparagus, broccoli, brussels sprouts, cabbage, garlic, etc.). I had to adjust serving sizes and/or eliminate some of these altogether. Later I was diagnosed with SIBO (Small Intestine Bacterial Overgrowth) which explained the problem. I pursued treatment to fix the underlying problem, and continued on the Paleo path to support that treatment (https://chriskresser.com/why-diet-alone-is-not-enough-to-treat-sibo/).

If you make dietary adjustments and get through the Whole30, but still have issues like this, I suggest getting comprehensive gut testing from a functional medicine practitioner to see if there is an underlying issue. Good luck!

1 hour ago, vozelle said:

If you suspect garlic, the cruciferous veggies (kale, cauliflower) could also be playing a role... maybe you are FODMAP sensitive? See this link for info: http://paleoleap.com/fodmaps-and-paleo/  (moderators, any input here?)

Garlic isn't a part of the Brassicaceae family. It is high FODMAP though, as are the nuts/nut products, which is why I'd suggested removing those first. That said, I'd wonder why the breakfast and the smoothie didn't cause some digestive stress as they've both got nut butter, avocado & banana (plus the sweet potato in the first breakfast) - all high FODMAP...

The issue could be sulphur - garlic, kale & cauliflower are all high in sulphur... How are you with eggs @leap75?

1 hour ago, jmcbn said:

Garlic isn't a part of the Brassicaceae family. It is high FODMAP though, as are the nuts/nut products, which is why I'd suggested removing those first. That said, I'd wonder why the breakfast and the smoothie didn't cause some digestive stress as they've both got nut butter, avocado & banana (plus the sweet potato in the first breakfast) - all high FODMAP...

The issue could be sulphur - garlic, kale & cauliflower are all high in sulphur... How are you with eggs @leap75?

Super interesting. Eggs don't seem to give me digestive problems I don't think BUT while I've always liked eggs, I never seem to be able to eat very many and sometimes it goes so far as them making me nauseous, and I've noticed this more since starting Whole 30.  Tried to scramble them, and couldn't even eat them.  I usually have to force down hard boiled eggs. And have never been able to eat more than one egg without feeling nauseous! I'm typically the most non-fussy food person (seriously I happily eat everything), so I find this revulsion to eggs interesting.  The other thing I've noticed my whole life is extreme digestive issues after eating very rich foods. I always associated it with dairy and thought it might be a slight lactose intolerance but its happened with other non-dairy rich foods. Have no idea what thats all about and not sure if that helps here.  Would you suggest I try to separate sulfur foods out from FODMAPs and see which give me any sort of reaction?   Appreciate the info everyone! 

9 minutes ago, leap75 said:

Would you suggest I try to separate sulfur foods out from FODMAPs and see which give me any sort of reaction?

There are quite a few high FODMAP foods listed in meals that didn't seem to cause you issue, and since the problems have arisen after specific meals I guess I'd exclude all of the items from those meals, let the symptoms subside for a few days & then reintroduce those foods one at a time paying close attention to how they make you feel. Just because a food falls with a certain food group doesn't necessarily mean you'll have problems with ALL of that food group, although you may find that if you DON'T exclude the problematic foods that your symptoms become more pronounced & more persistent...

@leap75Just going to throw one more possibility out there..how is your gall bladder? Just asking because my daughter always had digestive issues after eating all her life. We thought she was lactose intolerant, turns out her gall bladder was non functioning and it was actually the fats found in proteins that were bothering her each meal. She's 24 and had it removed. I noticed each time you ate meat proteins you seem to not feel well and ALSO noticed you may favor meals without protein.

happy to report that my stomach issues seem to have been related to garlic. I've cut it and now feel really good. I hope you quickly find your "culprit"!

Everything seems to be going really well. I've had a few moments this past week of missing some foods. Chocolate is ranking high in that list..maybe hormones. 

Have been feeling pretty good generally, although tonight about two hours after dinner I got painful bloating in my stomach. I had roast lamb, broccoli and sprouts for dinner so wondering if its the vegetables - been reading the posts about FODMAPs and both are potential problems. Although I haven't had this when eating these before on the W30 so not sure? There is a chance that a bit of vegetable oil got onto the lamb (a pretty tiny amount - I got offered some potatoes but they were cooked in veg oil so had to take them back off the plate), could that have caused anything? 

22 minutes ago, MC100 said:

broccoli and sprouts for dinner

It could well be just the combo of the two in one meal - both are high FODMAP, both are cruciferous, and both are high sulphur foods... I couldn't eat the two in one meal either without some degree of bloating/wind etc. Even if you've had them before without issue we often have a tolerance threshold for certain foods - you may well have reached that threshold and need to cut back on both for a few days.

Same here - I feel so good doing this that I'll reintroduce as slowly as I can. This has reinforced that snacking, even healthy snacks, are not my friend... 

I've stopped eating nuts for a few days and my headaches stopped... Will reintroduce tomorrow and see what happens. I quite like this self-as-guinea-pig stuff!

I'm going to do a careful reintroduction too, much as the temptation to grab a massive piece of cake at the end of it is really strong! I really appreciated being able to identify what was causing the bloating last night, I'd never have been able to work it out if I hadn't been on the diet. 

Have had quite a lot of cravings past few days (time of month) - hoping these will ease off...was struggling with my motivation but feeling better now and definitely motivated to finish the 30 and do reintroduction. And change how I eat generally!

I was doubting how much I'd affected the 'sugar dragon' because of the cravings these past few days but there are still a few days to go so not going to judge it just yet. 

Have a good day 22 everyone :)

15 minutes ago, MC100 said:

Have had quite a lot of cravings past few days (time of month) - hoping these will ease off...

This is actually very normal at this stage in your cycle - increase your starchy veg intake & up your fat, and overall food intake if need be (many women report a HUGE increase in appetite at this time). This too shall pass!

We made it to day 22!  I feel like there should be confetti or cheering or something.  ;)  I feel great!  I took my own Superbowl snacks to a party last night and was very happy NOT eating the Doritos and cheese and crackers.  There was a big crock of chili on the table, but also a smaller one with no beans or sugar just for me.  I took some carbonated water from my Soda Stream at home and it was a good night.  

I feel like I could definitely continue this beyond the 30 days although I will be having a glass of wine on day 31.  :P  I also want to try to reintroduce a little cheese and/or yogurt afterwards because I definitely still miss my plain old greek yogurt with some berries on top.  Other than that I can honestly say I don't miss bread or grains (okay, maybe oatmeal just a little), beans, or even sugar.  I wouldn't mind a little square of dark chocolate but I don't find myself craving it or thinking about it all day.  (Seriously, I used to daydream about chocolate ALL DAY.  LOL)

Archived