Introducing myself (R1D13) + a few questions

WholeWallet30

Hi all!  I have posted before and also responded, but never introduced myself!  I am currently on day 13 and can honestly say I have only had one really terrible day (day 11, working in the field...boss forgot to order me lunch and I was in a private business club where I could not order anything...there's a longer story to that, but I eventually ate something compliant about 7 hours after my breakfast!).

Today is my birthday and it was odd to celebrate without being surrounded by food!  I got together with my family last night and we did surf & turf - lobster tails with ghee, organic sirloin, roasted brussels sprouts and roasted garlic cauliflower mash.  It was great!  They have all been very supportive and my live in boyfriend has committed to the 30 days as well.  He had it much harder than me with the sugar as he loved drinking soda, but he's now feeling great!

I saw a rise in my anxiety at first, but it's leveled off as I get used to the program.  If I'm being totally honest, I NEVER thought I would make it this far.  I can commit to things, but I am a binge eater and thought this would be impossible for me.  I made a very concerted effort to make different meals every day, which involved spending entire Sundays in the kitchen, but it has been absolutely worth it.

While I know W30 is not for weight loss, I wanted to get some opinions from those who have walked this path already.  I have a significant amount of weight to lose.  I have lost before with Weight Watchers (not ever interested again...I wouldn't eat all day then eat junk, but stay within "points" so it was OK).  I do need to lose the weight, as well as testing out this helping an autoimmune disease I have, and I'm wondering how W30 will play in to this.  I plan to do a W60 and incorporate AIP after that if I don't see changes with my autoimmune issue.  I really do not want to count calories again...can I do W30 as a sustainable and realistic way to loose this excess weight (FYI - I'm talking 90 lbs, not 20).

Thanks and I look forward to chatting with you all!

14 hours ago, WholeWallet30 said:

Hi all!  I have posted before and also responded, but never introduced myself!  I am currently on day 13 and can honestly say I have only had one really terrible day (day 11, working in the field...boss forgot to order me lunch and I was in a private business club where I could not order anything...there's a longer story to that, but I eventually ate something compliant about 7 hours after my breakfast!).

Today is my birthday and it was odd to celebrate without being surrounded by food!  I got together with my family last night and we did surf & turf - lobster tails with ghee, organic sirloin, roasted brussels sprouts and roasted garlic cauliflower mash.  It was great!  They have all been very supportive and my live in boyfriend has committed to the 30 days as well.  He had it much harder than me with the sugar as he loved drinking soda, but he's now feeling great!

I saw a rise in my anxiety at first, but it's leveled off as I get used to the program.  If I'm being totally honest, I NEVER thought I would make it this far.  I can commit to things, but I am a binge eater and thought this would be impossible for me.  I made a very concerted effort to make different meals every day, which involved spending entire Sundays in the kitchen, but it has been absolutely worth it.

While I know W30 is not for weight loss, I wanted to get some opinions from those who have walked this path already.  I have a significant amount of weight to lose.  I have lost before with Weight Watchers (not ever interested again...I wouldn't eat all day then eat junk, but stay within "points" so it was OK).  I do need to lose the weight, as well as testing out this helping an autoimmune disease I have, and I'm wondering how W30 will play in to this.  I plan to do a W60 and incorporate AIP after that if I don't see changes with my autoimmune issue.  I really do not want to count calories again...can I do W30 as a sustainable and realistic way to loose this excess weight (FYI - I'm talking 90 lbs, not 20).

Thanks and I look forward to chatting with you all!

The only way to have sustainable weight loss is to do it slowly, while nourishing your body. Whole30 is ideally suited for this.

I used a cognitive approach to banish the diet mentality and to end decades of yo-yo dieting. Now, I focus on nourishing myself and fueling my activities and SLOW weight loss. Whole30 is not a weight loss program, but this way of eating does support weight loss (and can help with autoimmune issues, so that's a bonus).

If you want encouragement, look up moderator Tom Denham's posts. He lost a TON of weight eating Whole30--at the rate of a pound or so a month.

I pay homage to my forebears and that includes Tom Denham. 

I wondered what in the world would I do after  30 days were over. I looked around for the most solid advice and if you follow his posts, they'll lead you to weight stability and so much more.

Suffice it to say, his posts are weighty with wisdom and truth.  The kind of truth that sets you free.  

Thank you to everyone for your thoughtful replies!

@Nat.M I have hidradenitis suppurativa which you either have and know well, or have never heard of most likely!  I noticed no new lesions/boils, etc. after starting W30 and I was attributing it to dairy as I have cut that out of my diet before and had seen a reduction in symptoms.  I actually just had a flare up yesterday and was surprised.  I will be transitioning to the AIP after a W60 as I want to continue the program rules of the W30 for a solid 60 days before I work myself up to the stricter AIP (I love peppers...).

@ArtFossil @MeadowLily thank you both so much for the recommendation re Tom!  I have read a lot of his story and posts as I was a bit of a lurker on here before finally getting the courage to start posting.  I am going to delve deeper in to his stories for inspiration as I continue my new journey.

Archived