Discomfort regarding the advice

Beth ann e

I'm kind of lodging an official complaint.  There are people who seem to have issues with hypoglycemia/hypovolemia when adjusting to this eating plan.  The advice they are getting feels very dangerous to me.  I had similar issues and got similar advice (which I did not take).  I think the advisors need to be more careful about telling people who are having symptoms of severe hypoglycemia to cut out the approved sugars and carbs. 

Hypovolemia seems to be an issue as well.  It stands to reason that there would be an isotonic imbalance in the body given that you've removed sugar molecules from the bloodstream.  Yet there is little to no advice that I've seen that would rectify that imbalance when people complain of the symptoms.  

What concerns me is that this program was started by a doctor,  yet there appears to be a lack in responsible medical advice  to get people through the transition smoothly.

Besides that, I do truly love the program. I have transitioned into burning fat instead of sugar and I am reaping many of the benefits.  I believe in the program, I just hate to see it fall short.

I apologize if this is not where I am supposed to post this.  I did not see another venue for this.

• Administrators

Hi @Beth ann e - if you are referring to the moderators as the advisers, I'm fairly confident that we haven't told anyone to cut out carbs. In fact we are often advising people that Whole30 is not a low carb plan although people can end up there inadvertently and the result is dizzy, nausea, headache, faintness, bad mood etc. Our advice is for people to ensure that they are including at least a fist sized serving of starchy veggie per day, more if they feel that they need it.

I know the thread you are referring to and my suspicion is that the OP suffered a combo of light eating over 12 days and the hot bath probably didn't help. Unfortunately we don't know what people are doing until/unless they report in at which point we'll try to steer them back onto the right path.

Many times other members chime in and we can't police the internet and erase comments that don't perfectly fit the guidance we like to give. Aaaand we're volunteers with other jobs so we can't always get to and respond to every post. We do rely on other informed and advanced members to help us out. :) 

Finally, this program was absolutely not started by a doctor and at no point do we ever pretend, insinuate or state that we are giving medical advice. If you bump around the forum (especially the medical issues area) you will notice the "no one here is medically trained, if you are concerned please seek out a doctor" statement. 

I get trying to help people through the transition, I do. And we do, it's what we all spend our time here doing. On the other hand, there is so much information on the website and the forum to allow people to have a smoother go of it...............if they would just look. Eating 3 eggs and a chicken finger and some salad greens and brussel sprouts as an entire day's allottment is ridiculous..............but people do. Unfortunately that's not the Whole30. That's a starvation diet using compliant foods. :(

In my opinion, people who have blood sugar issues or other medical conditions should always consult their doctors before changing their diet.  Though there is absolutely nothing unhealthy about eating unprocessed whole foods, even small changes to one's diet can impact an underlying medical condition.  I have seen "no one here is qualified to give medical advice" and "if you are concerned, you should consult your doctor" as the mantra over and over from the moderators and more seasoned forum members.  I didn't see the thread in question, but I am pretty certain the moderators responded appropriately.  Not sure what there is to complain about.  

22 minutes ago, JulieP757 said:

In my opinion, people who have blood sugar issues or other medical conditions should always consult their doctors before changing their diet.  Though there is absolutely nothing unhealthy about eating unprocessed whole foods, even small changes to one's diet can impact an underlying medical condition.  I have seen "no one here is qualified to give medical advice" and "if you are concerned, you should consult your doctor" as the mantra over and over from the moderators and more seasoned forum members.  I didn't see the thread in question, but I am pretty certain the moderators responded appropriately.  Not sure what there is to complain about.  

I have never had blood sugar issues in my life. I am young, 115 pounds and healthy, but wanted to reboot and see if I have an allergy to gluten. 

Moderators on the post did not do anything wrong. The concern is the others who were insisting this medical emergency was caused by taking a bath and that I had "blinders on" for not realizing that. Many people told me to keep going and to not eat things with sugar or glucose like Larabars and potatoes which is the exact opposite of what my doctor told me. I thought this would be a supportive community but I've found folks on the forum to focus on criticizing, shaming and focusing on what they have seen to be true rather than listening and providing thoughtful support. The changes on this diet are drastic and create a possibility for medical issues, so to not have an actual medical moderator seems irresponsible to me. I'm not continuing with the Whole30 due to this experience. 

16 minutes ago, kirkor said:

It's important to always listen to your body and not blindly follow. It's alarming how once I've questioned whether Whole30 is safe for me, you are linking to a philosophical metaphor as if I "just don't get it". This truly has become a bad experience because of people like you. 

Yes, my point was that it is a drastic change for the body.  It would be good to have some sort of medical professional as a part of the team to help guide the moderators and advanced members as a way to keep everyone safe. 

People still look to the forum for knowledgeable advice and they can be seriously led astray.

Also,  I'm pretty sure that I saw credentials for Dallas Hartwig as a functional medicine doctor.  

That being said, I do like that there is a forum and good support for others when it's functioning well.

JwatK. I'm so sorry for the experience you had with Whole30.

Archived