Period Problems

KCole

I am on day 7 of the whole30 and so far things are going great.  However, I started my period today (7 days early!!).  I am on hormonal birth control and my cycle is very regular.  

In the past when doing a high protein diet, my period lasted much longer than normal (this was with probably too much cheese/dairy, which is now obviously cut out).  Though I never stuck with the high protein diet long enough to get through another cycle.

Has anyone else had (or have any insight into) this kind of problem?

I am having the same issue even though I am on the pill!  I finished my period the week before I started Whole30 and now I am menstrating again and heavy than usual.  It is nice to know that I am not the only one with this issue, as it seems most people skip a period not have another one a week later.  This also happened the first time I did whole30.  I find it very strange.    

I'm going through the same thing. My period is very early. However, I got the birth control implant in December, which can cause spotting and irregularity. It's hard for me to know what is causing this. Luckily, this period is very light and I have no symptoms (cramping, etc), so it's more of an annoyance than anything. 

Do we think it could be soy related? I didn't eat much of it consciously, but you know that stuff sneaks into everything. It also mimics estrogen, and my instinct is that menstrual changes can be influenced by the presence of soy. 

29 minutes ago, dc221104 said:

Do we think it could be soy related? I didn't eat much of it consciously, but you know that stuff sneaks into everything. It also mimics estrogen, and my instinct is that menstrual changes can be influenced by the presence of soy. 

Absolutely. It mimics eostrogen but inhibits the body's natural production of it. Then there are all the other hormones at play which W30 is working to realign. Add to that you're using a hormonal birth control...... It stands to reason the cycle would be effected.

That makes sense.  I had no idea about Soy!!  I wonder too if this has anything to do with our bodies burning more fat (I'm assuming since estrogen is stored in fat that burning or losing it Is releasing  more estrogen).  While I am of course tempted to weigh myself, I have not and will not.

I am continuing to take my pill daily.  If my period continues for too long I will likely see a Dr (but that means I'll have to step on a scale!!).  It is heavier than usual but there is no cramping, like dc22 said, its more of an annoyance.  

Im assuming it just differs from one person to the next for how long it takes for hormones to realign.

@KCole  Just a quick comment on having to step on scale if you see the doctor.  You don't have to.  You have the right to decline being weighed.  I do it all the time and it's never a big deal.  It's one of three measurements that they typically take so if you skip that they'll likely do pulse or temperature.

• 2 months later...

Hi all!  Overall, my Whole30 is going pretty close to the timeline.  However, here it is Day 12, my period is 4 days late and the pre-Whole30 fatigue has returned, big time.  I'm not pregnant (47, no partner so if I were, we should get the Pope on the phone) and fairly sure I am in some serious PMS.  I'm accepting the possibility that my hormones are getting back on track and if that is happening, maybe 9-10 hours of sleep and a day of rest isn't a bad idea.  I hope this is the right attitude.  

• Moderators
26 minutes ago, Barbiegurrl said:

Hi all!  Overall, my Whole30 is going pretty close to the timeline.  However, here it is Day 12, my period is 4 days late and the pre-Whole30 fatigue has returned, big time.  I'm not pregnant (47, no partner so if I were, we should get the Pope on the phone) and fairly sure I am in some serious PMS.  I'm accepting the possibility that my hormones are getting back on track and if that is happening, maybe 9-10 hours of sleep and a day of rest isn't a bad idea.  I hope this is the right attitude.  

sounds about right for the first period of a Whole30... add some starch to your meals, eat as much as you need because you're probably more hungry now than during non period times and you'll be okay!  I also am laughing at your Pope comment... :)

Archived