JenHZ Feb 2017

JenHZ

Carmen WTG on packing Lots of food

day 4 Wednesday 2/8/17

meal 1 has again, will see if a busier morning makes me less hungry by lunch (11:00)

did not get eating within 1 hour of getting up, more like 1 hour 20 minutes

really focusing on NSVs because last time I gained 8 pounds before I realized I needed another w30.  I need a better indicator for when my eating is negatively effecting me

stronger finger nails, that is a NSV I retained from last w30 had strong nails all my life till started flaking in 50's , not back to young strength but no longer flaking.  had manicure last Friday 2/3, 1 broken corner that day and one Monday 2/6

thicker stronger hair?  did have some loss with menopause.  will see if hair loss happens again.  doubt I would notice thicker unless it was extreme texture change.  I do color it so some damage is from that

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Meal 2 pushed back to 12:10 by  grocery shopping.  I had a few sips of black coffee while I was doing that

chicken and shrimp stir fry based on W30 recipe with leftover shrimp 2 oz. and chicken 3 oz. and frozen veg.  my lime was really wimpy on juice but still think this would be under seasoned.  I used whole package of frozen veg - said it was 4 cups but not after defrosting!  added sesame oil for fat and coconut aminos for  Asian flavor.  next time will try ginger juice for grated ginger which I skimped on because of grating time

I had one carrot and spaghetti squash casserole for lunch today. It didn't seem like a lot of food but it held me through until after my meeting. I'm currently snacking on celery, almond butter and a little bit of chicken to push me through until I get home. I'm going to try to finish off the shepherd's pie tonight with my boyfriend's help and cook some chicken or sausages for tomorrow. I'm eating too much of the same thing and it's driving me crazy. I think next week I'm going to alternate breakfasts, keep the same lunch, and do something a little different for dinner each night so I don't get bored. 

My stomach feels so much better but my energy level is really low. I can't tell if it's because I'm overworked. I haven't been sleeping well for months so that could be a contributing cause. I'm hoping eating better will help me sleep through the night. Right now I can't even remember the last time I slept a solid six hours without waking up at least once or twice. 

Good for you with the NSVs. After this I think I'm just going to have to weigh myself each week. I have too much of a hard time telling when I gain or lose weight and then all of sudden I'm ten or fifteen pounds heavier. I'm about fifteen pounds heavier than the last time I started whole30. The rest of my health is pretty good, except for my digestion. That will probably be my only NSV. Every day I don't get a stomache ache or have issues digesting food will be a little victory :)

not tummy ache would be an awesome NSV Carmen

for me when I have a NSV of "being Normal" it is hard for me to remember to count it if I don't keep some kind of journal

thought from kombucha thread

Pick something you think will work to relieve stress and brings you comfort. For me, it’d be hitting up a yoga class, a walk in the park, or a sushi roll or two at the counter of my favorite restaurant. For you, it may be something else; something you love, but feel like you can’t really indulge in as often as you’d like. (Or something rather routine that simply brings you joy, like chopping vegetables. It’s very stress-relieving. Try this.)

my time is after supper before I help my disabled kid get ready for bed.  so the habit has to fit into 15-30 minutes and take place in my home.  the idea of connecting to people then is  enough to make me swear, not even my kid or my spouse.  physical activity is unlikely. kitchen stuff is unrewarding on my own.  I do help dspouse if he is cleaning then. I read all the time so it is not special.  it is also hard to stop. 

1 just keep the kombucha

2 tea instead,  I often have tea after so maybe

3 clear off the floor in my room and meditate there?  just creeping into meditation and having a hard time thinking of a consistent time so could work

Meal 3 4:30, made it home at a reasonable time

2 eggs with mushrooms  ( forgot the prosciutto), chard, sweet potato with ghee

did not get to finish my veggies at lunch so left here hungry, ate an epic pulled pork bar and half a lara bar in the car and drank a lot of fizzy water and some coffee

Oh I love that. I think for me it would be a piano lesson. I've tried to teach myself and I can memorize songs and love playing but I lack fundamental skills. I love learning songs and chords and think a class would be refreshing and rewarding.

I snacked on hardboiled eggs, celery, almond butter and chicken before the thing I went to. I'm gonna have more shepherds pie tonight for dinner. I could barely stomach my banana egg omelet things  (I don't know what to call the concoction). I thought they would be delicious but they weren't great and I'm considering throwing out the rest. I don't like throwing away food but I never want to eat them again.

For breakfast tomorrow it's gonna be hardboiled eggs, maybe an apple and avocado.

I think you gave the banana things a fair trial.  they failed.  they probably wouldn't keep many more days anyway.

meal 4 last night wasn't until 8:30

burger topped with half and avocado and 1 slice compliant bacon, garlic sweet potato oven fries

I wasn't' really hungry but ate all burger and half fries, plus kombucha

at night I was burping and had a knot in my stomach.  I didn't drink enough water last evening.  I think I also ate too many sweet potatoes yesterday

Day 5 Thursday 2/9/17

got up at 6:14 ate at 7:20, meal 1 hash again

hope I do no get the kill all the things effect today as I have a meeting with kid's school

Did not get breakfast this morning at all. I had planned to eat when I got into the classroom but I ended up making it to work much later than I had hoped due to a road closure. I had a very long meeting then a class, but I managed to wolf down a hard-boiled egg during they very short brunch we have this week due to the testing schedule. During the second test period I managed to eat another hard-boiled egg and an apple so I feel much better though I will definitely be hungry for lunch.

I am also hoping I don't get the "Kill all the things effect." I work in Special Education so a long line of patience is needed every day, especially during testing weeks with block schedules. This week has certainly been rough. 

Bless you Carmen, my meeting today is to plan my kid's transition program after high school.  I bought clementine's, baby carrots, compliant tahini dip, and ( not fo w30 gluten free chocolate cookies) to take along.  I know 1 teacher is gluten free and usually not eating sugar but kid will need a snack too.

not really kill all the things, ended up more eat all the things

took car to get oil changed, which ended up taking over an hour.  I though I was prepared but I had left my big bag of snacks in my kitchen!  went to an international market nearby car place and got lots of good things but most were not immediately edible.  got a bag of baby carrots and an orange.

meal2 12:45  Way late

2 handfuls baby carrots, 1/2 orange, epic bar that I fortunately had in my purse ( restocked!) , 3 slices salmon sashimi which msut of still ahda litte wasabi on it cause I could taste it.  who needs wasabi with sorbitol????

really wish I had been able to find some compliant nuts but everything was roasted with non-compliant oils

home at 2 and starving

meal 3 2;15 beef burger, sweet potato with double ghee, leftover stir fry veggies, ( baked apple?)

Try getting Pistachios. Those are easier to find without any additives. I had the same problem when I wanted salted almonds. Everything had a million ingredients.

Lunch was spaghetti squash casserole, an avocado, half an apple and some chicken slices.

For dinner tonight I'm going to eat some hot sausages and a vegetable medly with squash, broccoli, onion, bell pepper and carrots. I added some ghee, garlic, red pepper flakes, and lemon to flavor it up. Hope it turns out well. I'm feeling less hungry between meals which is awesome and my boyfriend said I look skinnier and tomorrow is friday!! Woo-hoo! 

meal 4 W30 steak with garlic shallot puree, frozen broccoli, so delicious and  just what was needed after a long day

and we managed to get it together and cook it!  would normally have been a day that ended up  with dinner out  

NSVs?  brighter eyes I doubt I would notice but I do have photo

whiter teeth , not with the amount of coffee I drink

fresher breath  again I doubt I would notice, and no one would tell me

flatter stomach I measured so can check

leaner appearance - possible but  I think my body image is off

clothes fit better yeah that one works

Wow, sugar in pistachios? That honestly sounds pretty gross. I'm sorry you couldn't find anything.

The sausage and mixed veggies for dinner last night were amazing. Definitely a meal I will repeat. Last night I almost slept through the entire night. I woke up very briefly at one point, but then slept right until my alarm went off, which NEVER happens. I always wake up before it goes off. Hurray!!!

For breakfast this morning I had avocado, hard-boiled eggs, and an apple. I am going to skip the apple tomorrow. I am still full and lunch has passed. I might eat a little bit during my prep period or just wait until after school today.

My best friend came home from Israel last night and hugged me and commented that I had lost weight! Another victory! My boyfriend also commented that I looked thinner, which seems crazy to me since it's been only four days but I will take it! 

I did get super angry at a student today, but to be fair, he was getting out of hand and acting like a clown when he knows better. I am still tired every day so I am looking forward to that promised boundless energy.

hope the energy comes by next work week Carmen

Meal 2 Shepard's pie, chard, baked apple

Nia class 1 hour

didn't have post work out food prepped so home for a little chicken and a dab of sweet potato.  the sweet potato was  premade so had fat

Meal 3 omelet with prosciutto mushrooms and roasted garlic, acorn squash, kombucha, salted dry roasted almonds

about half real meal half snacky,  sort of reward for annoying paperwork and sort of celebration of not having to go out tonight

So, I have heard of kombucha before but I have no idea what it is. What is it? I'm curious.

Ate meal two at like four o'clock. Wasn't even hungry until then. I had more spaghetti squash casserole which I am officially over. I was still hungry after that so I treated myself to a drive-through burger joint that has W30 compliant meat. I ordered a couple of burgers wrapped in lettuce with mustard and they were delicious. Tomorrow is a full day of prepping. I am going to try some new recipes which I am excited about. I found this interesting one for plantain cups filled with mango avocado salad and whipped coconut cream. I'm debating making them tomorrow.

Interesting  recipe, if it keeps you interested that would be good.

Kombucha is a drink.  it is actually mildly alcoholic  but it is fermented like sauerkraut.  if you have ever had a vinegar shrub drink it is sort of like that.  most have some fruit for flavor.  it is pretty sour in w30 compliant form and fizzy to some degree.    some use it as a wine  /cocktail sub.  it is also the only fermented type  thing I really like so I am hoping it is helping my gut bacteria

I ate too many almonds at meal 3.   probably more than 1/4 of a cup.made my stomach hurt.

so since spouse wasn't home and kid wanted  her own food I just skipped my usual meal 4 in favor of a cup of tea.  I don't have to do anything but get kid to be tonight

Kombucha sure sounds interesting. I'm not sure that I would like it.

Got hungry again a little after my usual dinner time. I blame skipping lunch. I ended up eating eggs, avocado and a lara bar. I found a recipe for a breakfast pizza quiche that looks interesting to make next week. It's a delicious looking egg casserole with pizza toppings and tomato sauce basically. It looks great. We will see how it turns out.

1 hour ago, Carmen Azcona said:

I found a recipe for a breakfast pizza quiche that looks interesting to make next week. It's a delicious looking egg casserole with pizza toppings and tomato sauce basically. It looks great. We will see how it turns out.

If you're thinking about putting pepperoni on it, watch out - I have yet to find a pepperoni that doesn't contain some form of sugar - usually dextrose. (If you do find compliant pepperoni, share the details!)

DId not find whole30 approved pepperoni at the store but I did find Paleo Bacon which is made by Wellshire brand at Whole Foods and it is also W30 approved. I also found W30 approved prosciutto. The brand is Fiorucci. 

I had eggs with spinach, kale, onions, bell peppers and leftover sausage for breakfast this morning which was delicious. I did all my shopping for the week and am now going to spend the day relaxing with family and cooking intermittently so I am not overwhelmed with food preparations tomorrow.

That Wellshire bacon is terrific.  I am planning it for tomorrow morning.

Day 7 Saturday 2/11/17

Meal 1  3 eggs with mushrooms sautéed in olive oil, sweet potato with coconut oil, green beans 8:30

Meal 2 chicken with tahini sauce, autumn fruit salad, grapes  noon

this was a ToP potluck, went well

Archived