A good substitute for cornstarch?

tapioca's both paleo and w30 compliant, however it is almost 100% pure starch, with very little nutritional value. If you're a underweight male (or female) that really wants to gain weight while on the W30, it's a good inclusion...otherwise it usually doesn't have a good application for regular use.

That being said, thickening soups/gravies is a good one!

Thanks Renee. Yes, it is pure starch which is why I thought it would make a great substitute for cornstarch. But i hadn't come across whether it was a yeah or neah with whole30. When I read "the paleo diet" by loren cordain they said to avoid tapioca without really explaining their reasoning but one can assume it is because of the high starch content since it is gluten free. My girls love homemade tapioca pudding but I have been avoiding making it since we are trying to decrease milk in their diet. I found a recipe at www.grassfedgirl.com that I will have to try sometime that uses coconut milk.

...NO! not sarcasm at all. I LOVE tapioca pudding but always table it because of the dairy...using coconut milk instead scared me (didn't want to waste either ingredient.)

VERY excited for Thanksgiving/Christmas, let me tell you Carrie! Thanks!

...NO! not sarcasm at all. I LOVE tapioca pudding but always table it because of the dairy...using coconut milk instead scared me (didn't want to waste either ingredient.)

VERY excited for Thanksgiving/Christmas, let me tell you Carrie! Thanks!

Great to hear. I have not tried it with coconut milk yet and it will be interesting. When it comes to puddings though, using a higher fat milk gets the best consistency so it would make sense in theory that the coconut milk will get good results. I did make a custard a few weeks ago with egg, banana, and coconut milk. Not quite the same smooth texture as normal custard but it is was still really good. I am making a gluten/grain free Thanksgiving which should be interesting. I still have requests to make pumpkin and pecan pie. I plan to make a paleo pumpkin custard but I have a feeling that family members may revolt and bring a store bought pie if I don't provide one. I would rather them eat a homemade scratch pie than what they would get from the freezer section at the store. Choose your battles.

I sense a touch of sarcasm. Yes, I use coconut milk instead of dairy in many recipes already. I guess I may be stupid for stating the obvious, but thought others may be interested in the recipe if they come across this post.

Oh my gosh...I think everyone almost passed out at the thought of coconut milk tapioca. Seriously, it just sounds like the best thing in the world. I wonder how it would be with some pumpkin mixed in. Sigh...

Oh my gosh...I think everyone almost passed out at the thought of coconut milk tapioca. Seriously, it just sounds like the best thing in the world. I wonder how it would be with some pumpkin mixed in. Sigh...

It is s treat for sure...and used only in a controlled environment :) Meaning I lick the spoon while the rest of the family takes control of consuming the rest.

It is s treat for sure...and used only in a controlled environment :) Meaning I lick the spoon while the rest of the family takes control of consuming the rest.

I would need to be out of the area TOTALLY!! The spoon would be dipping in and out of the bowl. :)

Archived