February 22 Start Date

Bethany Stewart

It's day 10!!! Yesterday was a bit rough. The Sugar Dragon reared it's head.  I want some carbs.  I found myself craving things like alcohol, sweets, breads, etc.  Thank God for the TImeline, so that I could see that this is normal, natural and to be expected.  I did it!  Stuck to the program.

I know it's only 1/3 of the way through, but I just have to share.  I'm SO happy that my IBS-D symptoms are clearing up!  For the last two days, I've been able to take the dogs for walks.  I haven't done that in months, because I learned the hard way that I couldn't get that far away from the facilities.  I'm having 'nomal' for the first time in almost a year!  Heck, in all honesty, it's the first time in about 10 years (IBS-C).  So although I'm not 'seeing' any changes, I am seeing improvement.  Woo-Hoo!  

Another thing I appreciate is being freed from the concept of 'breakfast foods'.  

Today's food so far has been the last of the spaghetti squash and pasta sauce with meat for breakfast  (I tell you, add a bunch of sauteed veggies to the tomato sauce and puree them and that stuff is completely yummy!  I'd be happy with just that on squash!)  Lunch today is a new chicken salad over a bunch of spinach with the creamy balsamic vinaigrette.   If I need a snack, it's going to be carrot sticks with baba ganoush.  Dinner is either going to be hamburger patty wrapped in dark green lettuce or a procuitto wrapped pork tenderloin with roasted butternut squash and Brussels sprouts.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@madisonbopbop  Good luck on the business trip!  I'm not sure I could handle that right now myself.  But I agree that planning is going to be the only way to stay on track,  You can do it!  That said, I'm going to have to try that coconut La Croix . . . . 

@CKM I'm craving candy, which is so bizarre because I don't have much of a sweet tooth and eat candy MAYBE once a year. I work for a movie theater chain, so I'm surrounded by candy, and I'm not usually tempted but today. . . hoo boy. Re-reading "It Starts With Food" to keep me on track.

It's over halfway through day 11 for me, and overall I'm still feeling pretty good, other than extra fatigue and brain fog off-and-on over the past few days, especially during my workouts. I'm getting better at finding quick protein sources for a post-workout snack--I'll cook up a bunch of extra chicken breast, chop it up into bite-sized pieces, and put it in a baggie, and that works really well. 

According to the timeline, days 10 and 11 are the days that we're most likely to throw in the towel because the novelty has worn off and we just want our comfort foods back. I can attest to that...I'm not going to quit, but the temptation is a little stronger today. 

Day 11, being Saturday, has been something of a challenge.  Anyone else like that?  The week is relatively easy to plan for, but the weekends always have hiccups.  That and the fact that i get hungry, but have NO interest in eating anything.  i did eat my planned meals, but feel 'blah' about it.

Today i had a compliant beef sausage and some spinach.  Baseball practice went over, so I had some mixed nuts before going to a restaurant to eat.  I had a hamburger patty with lettuce, pickles, and tomatoes plus grilled asparagus.  I was surprised to discover that asparagus can taste sweet.

Dinner tonight is going to be grilled sirloin with kale/swiss chard. (I'm using the receipt on pg 268 of The Whole30 but omitting the Butternut squash.  I have other plans for that. :-D )

Bethany Stewart and CKM - You can do this! I'm saying that myself constantly as well. Thanks for the heads up about "other people" giving up at this point. We will NOT do that. We are strong and focused.

I've got some non scale victories (NSV) to report. I'm on day 11. My face is clear (I used to always have a blemish no matter how much I kept my face clean), I've got lots of energy, my life doesn't revolve around food (I'm not constantly thinking about my next "fix"), I'm sleeping the whole night through  (I usually woke for 2-3 hours during the night). That is just to name some of my NSV. I'm sure there would be a ton more if I really thought about it. It's thinking about how good this feeling is that makes me make good choices. Could some of my choices be better? Sure. That just gives me something to work toward. 

Yesterday was a challenge for me as well! My husband's cousin is visiting from out of town, so we took her out to dinner. I took a look at the menu in advance and was sure I would be able to scrape something together to eat, and stick to sparkling water. It was much harder than I predicted! Everything had sugar or a sugar substitute already in it, or was made with peanut oil, or something like that. I went through nearly the entire menu with the poor server. And there was wine flowing all around me. I had oysters with lemon juice - even the mignonette had champagne in it! :-( - and sparkling water. It was unsatisfying and did not fill me up. I was sitting between my husband and his cousin, who both had lamb burgers with comte cheese and french fries with truffle aioli and I was miserable. Not to mention my husband's cousin is annoying as hell and I generally rely on wine to help me deal with her. So: annoyed, hangry, and surrounded by things I can't have! Closest I've come to throwing in the towel, by a mile. But I gritted my teeth and stuck it out, and made myself chicken sausage and brussels sprouts hash with a fried egg when we got home. Proud of myself for resisting temptation, particularly because eating for reasons other than hunger - stress, a bad day, depression, because it looks yummy and everyone else is eating, etc - is the main reason I am doing the Whole30. 

So that's my NSV! Happy day 12 everybody!

Ok this is the 2nd time I write this post because it was deleated when I checked my text for a second.  If not this message wouldve posted the day before.  Now its not as detailed as the 1st sorry.    Anyhow the last few days have been a struggle emotionally.  Though Im energetic, and less hungry for sweets, Ive been cranky and tired.  I had alot on my plate this weekend so I had less sleep. In one of my energetic modes, I mustve done something so my knee is giving me a hard time.   Friday to Saturday I must say I slept all night which had been the 1st time kin a while but havent slept well again.  Trying to improve my sleeping habits ie..eat light before going to bed, nothing strenuose etc.  I also went on a date night with hubby.  I knew exactly what i was going to order and how but then reality hit.  The wait was rediculously long (almost an hour if we waited).  So we ended up leaving.  Unfortunatley we went to a less romantic spot Starbucks...lolll and caught a movie.  I tried again the kale chips with coffee along with fruit, and egg.  Not appetizing and was sooo hungry.  I was so keen on the prior that I didnt prep for the what if... my mistake!  The weekend Ive had very little appetite.  As recommended, Im trying to eat less fruit and more veggie and protein.  Today I had a slight pinch of a headache.  I wasnt hungry but I did have plaintains with steamed chicken and veggies.  At night my husband (the chef of the family)  took the steamed veggies and chicken and converted it to a delicious soup for both me and my daughter.  Overall looking forward to day 13.  Thanks for sharing your days.  I appreciate the honesty and the suggestions.  Keep up the good work.  Im not giving up either....Weve come this far... were almost at the halfway point.  Yay!

Good morning everyone one!  It's day 13 (lucky 13!!) and I'm feeling less . . . deprived?  Weekends are a struggle for me, due to the lack of schedule and being surrounded by things I can't have.  But I'm not feeling the sugar cravings like I did before, so that' good.  I'm feeling relief about that.  It was also a relief to cook a batch of shepard's pie.  One thing about this program is that I really do depend on leftovers when I'm busy.  I think I need to cook a big batch of something for the weekend, so that it takes care off the busy schedule.   Knowing that I have something easy available in the fridge helps me avoid temptation.

So yesterday, breakfast was a hash made with potatoes, compliant sausage, and mushrooms ; lunch was baba gagnoush and lamb ; dinner was shepard's pie. (which was so yummy, my son even ate two servings!).  I'm trying to avoid snacking.

Today, breakfast was leftover shepard's pie.  Lunch is loose green lettuce with chicken salad, dinner is going to be Moroccan chicken skewers with butternut squash 'rice'. 

Day 13:

This has by far been the worse day for me. I have a bit of a headache. I'm feeling so discouraged. I do not want to cook, I do not want to go to the grocery store, nothing sounds very good. I ate a can of pumpkin for lunch with a couple of pieces of shrimp and a little jar of baby food. I'm so bored of everything.  

Sticking to it..I have not found that my experience has followed the timeline at all though. 

50 minutes ago, madisonbopbop said:

Day 13:

This has by far been the worse day for me. I have a bit of a headache. I'm feeling so discouraged. I do not want to cook, I do not want to go to the grocery store, nothing sounds very good. I ate a can of pumpkin for lunch with a couple of pieces of shrimp and a little jar of baby food. I'm so bored of everything.  

Sticking to it..I have not found that my experience has followed the timeline at all though. 

my timeline is off as well!  at least by 3 days.  maybe 4.  and i was feeling a little like that today (only my day 12) and i came home and forced myself to cook the stuffed peppers.....OMG!!! They were AWESOME.  renewed my strength and excitement for this food!  i went through the entire book yesterday, because i was feeling sooooo bored and didn't want to shop or cook or anything.  I picked the things that looked the best for me and went to the store- forced myself actually-hadn't cooked since thursday....cuz i was over it

then last night for something super easy, i grilled some chicken with rosemary and thyme and cut sweet potatoes into 1/4 inch slices or so and coated them w/olive oil and salt and pepper (kinda like home fries) and it felt like the best thing i had ever tasted! 

sorry you had a rough day...just some things that helped me the last couple days - take it for what its worth. hope it helps a tad.  At least to know your not alone.

Yes. The stuffed peppers are a lovely meal. I tried them last week. I also made a crock pot full of minestrone soup. That really helped me get through the weekend. It's definitely hard when the food boredom sets in. Please try to force your way past this because it will come to an end. Like someone else said, try to take comfort in knowing that you are not alone.

You have come so far. I think when this stage passes a new one will appear. Sometimes it's two steps forward and one step back (or so it seems). But always moving forward.

You can do it! We all can do it!

15 days in--halfway through! It's dinnertime here and I'm about to cook up some of "The Best Chicken You Will Ever Eat" (http://meljoulwan.com/2009/06/09/the-best-chicken-you-will-ever-eat-ever/). It's my first time cooking it so I can't attest to whether the title is true or not, but I'm excited to try it. I do go through food prep fatigue from time to time, but overall I'm loving the new recipes and flavors I'm discovering. Several people gave me heads of cabbage recently (I live on a small island called Kinmen, off the coast of China, and there's definitely a small town mentality; if you have an overflow of vegetables, you find someone to give them to), so I've been trying to find new ways to cook cabbage. Here's my new favorite cabbage recipe: http://thestayathomechef.com/tikel-gomen-ethiopian-cabbage-dish/. It's such a unique flavor!

@LookyLoo I'm so sorry to hear about your rotten day. I agree--it's definitely WAY harder when everyone around you is eating their less-than-healthy-food. Great job sticking to it--this is going to be worth it!

Good morning everyone!

The last two days have been . . . interesting.  As you may remember, I started the Whole30 at the suggestions of the nutritionist in my doctor's office.  This was to help me with my IBS and GERD.  Well, Monday I got the results back from a biopsy they took of my esophagus.  Because of the GERD, I have pre-cancerous cells just below the ulcers in my esophagus.  Luckily, it's a type that - if it turns into cancer - would be slow growing.  However, it is also a type that doesn't respond to Chemo or radiation.  The only treatment would be to cut out the cells.  So I'll have to have an endoscopy next year and every two years after that. 

Then yesterday, I go to the dentist to discover that two of my crowns - one over 20 years old, need to be replaced because food is getting under them.  *sigh*

I will admit,  I was very tempted to comfort eat or drink.  But I also realized that would be counter-productive.  Looks like this Whole30 will - at the end - have to morph into a complete change of eating habits.  If the IBS wasn't a wake-up call, Monday's appointment definitely was!

So, yesterday's food was breakfast - leftover Shepard's pie (it really does make a nice breakfast - easy and yummy), lunch was left over Moroccan chicken skewer with sweet potato rice, and dinner was sirloin steak with kale, Swiss chard and roasted butternut squash.

Today's food is: breakfast, Shepard's pie ; lunch - Kale/Swiss chard and roasted butternut squash plus chicken salad ; dinner - pork chops with roasted brussell sprouts and butternut squash.

I appreciate everyone in this forum for their support and for sharing their experiences. You all are an inspiration!

@CKM I'm so sorry to hear that you had some pretty big hurdles at the doctor and dentist to cope with. You are so right though, there's no time like now to take charge of your health. What is incredible is that there have been so many people that have seen absolute miracles from changing their diet and from excercise! I'm right there with you on these new food habits needing to stick to overcome health issues, I've got quite a few of my own. Also, totally proud of you for sticking with this even through such a stressful day! 

Day 15:

I feel good! I feel like my head is so clear and I feel more sharp then I have..maybe ever. My chronic pain is back again today and the terrible sounds popping in my neck and shoulder and tight chest pain are back, BUT it's more manageable then before. 

Ive been out of town again visiting some family members (they usually stress me out, which can trigger my chronic pain). I've been eating the most boring food because I didn't prepare for this trip as well as my last. But honestly...I don't mind the boring food because I'm feeling pretty good. I had sautéed veggies and hard boiled eggs for breakfast, accidentally skipped lunch, and for dinner went to a really nice steakhouse and had an amazing filet with broccoli and asparagus and half a plain baked potato. The resturant was very accommodating. 

My boyfriend, who is doing this with me, brought up doing a Whole60 the other day and I think I would be down. I was thinking about how in the book it says it takes 66 days to form a new habit (I hope I'm paraphrasing that correctly) and I desperately need this to stick. Also the mention of some people needing to do 60 days if they suffer from chronic pain, to really notice a difference. 

I don't think I mentioned before, but I was recently diagnosed with Hashimotos and I've been doing some research on the medication I'm taking. According to some of the blogs I've read, the medication acts like more of a 'hearing aid for someone who is suffering from hearing loss'...in other words the medicine is doing nothing to fix my Hashimotos and it will still inevitably lead to hypothyroidism. A lot of people have claimed that a completely solid gluten-free diet has decreased their anti-body count (which is good news! The medication can't do that!) My endocrinologist has told me that there is no science proving that a gluten-free diet will do anything for the disease. BUT then again what pharmacuetical company or big business would find it in their best interest to fund that kind of study? I really believe in these people's testimonials and I hope I can obtain the same results!  Also, I've read that having one auto-immune disease can easily lead to others. So I have got to do this! 

We can do it guys! Good job everyone! 

Day 15 for me.

I appreciate hearing all of your trails and accomplishments. It makes me feel normal. I'm not a super woman, and I have to keep telling myself that. It does pain my heart reading about the health issues and struggles of you though. 8(

I had a rough day yesterday. I made sure I ate a hearty breakfast because I knew I would be busy for rhe better part of the day. I was helping prepare a lunch for 50 youth. The food looked and smelled amazing but I wasn't interested in having one little taste. 8) But when I got home at 230. I over indulged in plantain chips and almond butter. And that was after I had something for lunch. Ugh! So frustrated. I'm going to read my whole30 journal for some personal inspiration this morning.

Thank you everyone for keeping this experience real.

My TOM (time of month) is due to start next week and I had typical behaviour for a week before. I just hope I don't ruin my good efforts and completely give in to the food (not cravings).

My DH (dear husband) was so kind to me. He put me in a nice warm bath. I needed that time to recharge. And my DD (dear daughter) did her best effort to help too. She said, "I'm not sure if you can eat this mom. I just want to help." As she proceeded to pass me a Larabar  (cashew flavour.....yum). I totally forgot about it. I hugged her, thanked her, and decided that I might have it on Friday evening. The appreciation and hug made me feel so much better. I guess I need to keep looking for my blessings and love in other places. Food is NOT the answer.

XOXO

Morning everyone.

My day began around 6am.  Its 7am Est right now.  The last few days also have been a challenge.  More health wise as well.  I seem to have caught a cold so Im coughing up a storm.  My chest hurts from so much coughing.  My mom also has been struggling with her health so we ended up at the ER and at numerous drs visits.  My toddler daughter and my husband have been cranky the last two days and i have a headache that is sharp and consistently happening for the last couple of days.  Other than this I have been sleeping better.  Slept the full night the last two days without getting up to using the bathroom.  Much improvement for me.  My knees have been bothering me for the last week on ive had to take tylenol once.  Which also is a much improvement since tylenol was a daily pain med prior to whole30.  So two times since Ive started is healthier. @madisonbopbop  i too have an autoimmune diagnosis which may have contributed to the daily pain I was feeling.  I believe many comfort foods cause inflammation and do not help me.  So I agree with you.  I believe a change of food and added exercise helps to reduce the symptoms of the diagnosis.  I commend you for believing the testimonies as they are and have lived through the same diagnosis.  

So my last few days have been good, food wise.  I have ventured out to experiment with newer foods including restaurants.   Ive also changed my coffee for tea.  Though im beginning to like black coffee, tea has felt so much more soothing.  my favorite dishes the last couple of days are plaintains with roasted chicken with mixed veggies,  brisked beef with roasted potatoed and greenbeans, Asian pho beef soup with mixed vegetables including cabbage no noodles.  Ive tried eating less fruit and more greens.  So i eat possibly 2-3 pieces of fruit a day.  

Looking forward to todays challenges and strides.  On to day 16.  Enjoy your day.  

I hope everyone is having a good day so far. @madisonbopbop Thank you so much for your encouraging words.  It does help, knowing that I'm not going through this alone and that this IS worth it.  Changing things in our lives so often seems to be a solitary and lonely business, but it doesn't have to be!  

I'm also contemplating doing a Whole60, but perhaps lightening up on the added sugar restriction so I can get a salad at a restaurant with their dressing - as the book suggests. I have to admit, though, that the food I'm cooking tastes SO much better than what I can get in a restaurant!  The biggest hurdle is that I keep running out of fresh veggies by the end of the week.  Luckily, tomorrow is a shopping day and next week I'm going to on my own, since my DH and son are going on a road trip for spring break.  I thought I'd use the opportunity to be experimental and try new and different fruits and veggies.  Why not? 

Last night, I got home late and discovered that the pork chops weren't completely thawed, but the pork lion was.  So I used a basic house rub on it, and rolled it in prosciutto and baked it.  It was very good!  I had the leftover veggies (Kale/Swiss chard/butternut squash dish and the butternut rice dish) with it and it was very good!  Then I cleaned the kitchen, turned off the lights and didn't go back there for the rest of the night. MAJOR change from my pre-WHOLE30 days.

Today, leftover's reign.  Breakfast was chicken salad.  Lunch was a bunch of spinach, 1/2 a small avocado, 1/2 a tomato and some of the pork lion, with the cream balsamic dressing drizzled over it. Very good.  Dinner tonight (at work) is the rest of the Shepard's pie.  My lunch is from 4-5, so I plan on a small snack of almonds around 7 or 8. 

Love hearing about everyone's successes and how good people are feeling! I haven't really felt or seen any effects, either positive or negative, which is frustrating. Not that I had any disease or chronic pain that I could really measure, but I was hoping for some burst of energy, clarity, or at least glowing skin! Nothing, and in fact I've got a stuffy cold. I've reached out to my friends who have done Whole30s before for support and they pointed out that I don't really eat sugar anyway, and limit dairy, so I shouldn't expect to see miracles. I'm powering through, but I'm ready to feel a change!

@LookyLoo I am so excited to hear about the changes you do see since you didn't really eat sugar or dairy much before. And I know those changes have got to be coming!  :) Having a cold is THE worst! I was still on meds for a nasty chest cold the first couple of days of Whole30. Maybe your magic will come when this cold goes away! I'm curious to hear about how your body handles the cold. Maybe the new eating habits will help your body fight it off faster? I'm sending positive vibes your way, I hope you feel better soon!

@CKM I'm so with you! I was out of town the last couple of days and while it was a nice break to be out of the kitchen, I could not wait to make my own food tonight! Eating at resturants was super boring. I tried a Paleo place and it was whatever and everywhere else I had the plainest food just to avoid accidental non-complient food. I look forward to hearing about the new veggies you try! I just tried Jicama for the first time the other day, dipped in guac...delicious! I love the mild taste and crunch!

Day 16:

My chronic neck pain is pretty bad today. It feels like my neck is about to lock-up with one wrong move. I'm really starting to see a heavy correlation between stress and pain.

Good news is I felt more energetic today then I usually do. I noticed when I wake up in the morning I don't have to drag myself out of bed. My skin is soft. I feel like my breath has improved. Like my mouth doesnt feel as dirty during the day? lol I'm not sure how else to describe what I mean. I guess I haven't felt a need for mints (not that mints would even be an option) or midday brushing.

Dinner. Gave. Me. Life. It was sooooo good!!!! I haven't been to the store since I just got back in town and I had no idea what to make. I quickly found the Chicken Chowder from the Whole 30 book and discovered I had pretty much everything I needed in the fridge already! I used leftover chicken thighs, I subbed the sweet potato for little potato medalians, used a chicken bone broth that was infused with Serrano and beets (I picked up from the farmers market last week) and added carmelized yellow onion instead of red onion. The lime juice gave it the best flavor. Even my 2 year old ate her soup up! I highly recommend this recipe!  Here it is listed online: http://jessgbryan.blogspot.com/2016/11/chicken-chowder-whole-30-approved.html?m=1

We are all halfway or a day over halfway at this point! Good job everyone!

Ok, just HAVE to share this recipe! If anyone is looking for a clean, compliant sauce that mimics some rich cheesiness, here it is! https://www.mynaturalfamily.com/recipes/paleo-recipes/paleo-mac-n-cheese-recipe/

The author calls it "mac'n'cheese," which I disagree with. First because the idea of just trying to recreate something non-compliant with compliant ingredients is against the rules, but mainly because if you eat this expecting mac & cheese, you will be disappointed. Cheese it's not. But, BUT, it is rich, silky, flavorful, and seriously delicious. I made it over cauliflower tonight, which was perfect. It would also be delicious with broccoli or any other sturdy vegetable, over chicken or meat, even mixed in to mashed potatoes as a dairy substitute. Great find!!

@LookyLoothanks for sharing the mac n cheese recipe.  I was looking to do something with Cauliflower and thats a perfect recipe.  I will try it for lunch tomorrow.  

So my day 17 was a bit challenging.  I too caught a cold.  it started with a dry cough the last couple of days and slowly turned into congestion.  Not sure where it came from but i was really bad last month so im not looking forward to getting sick again.  so I feel a bit without energy.  Plus the last 3 days Ive been in and out of the ER with my mom.  So emotionally this week has been heavier than normal due to the many worries.  Ive been keeping to the whole 30 but unfortunately have had to take cough medicines to help me stop my cough and runny nose.  I was trying not to take anything but was getting worse....not sure what i can now do to keep the whole 30 with medicines.  Any ideas?  Todays meals where cut short because I was not feeling well and was not hungry.  Anyhow tomorrow is a new day.  I will research foods to help boost the immune system.  enjoy your day!

For all of you suffering from chronic pain and medical conditions, I feel for you and hope that this month might be a turning point for you!

I have something exciting to report. Ever since I was 3 years old, I've dealt with asthma, and I typically have to use an asthma inhaler at least once every day or two days. But now it's been 6 days since I've last used it! I'm starting to wonder if all this time there was something in my diet that was exacerbating the problem. I'm looking forward to following Whole30's reintroduction protocol to try to nail down which food group might be the issue for me.

Stick with it, everybody!

10 hours ago, Bethany Stewart said:

I'm looking forward to following Whole30's reintroduction protocol to try to nail down which food group might be the issue for me.

Pay close attention when it comes to dairy. A HUGE percentage of asthma sufferers also have issues with dairy. Bear in mind though that dairy often has a 'creeping' effect though so it may not be noticeable until you have a build up of it in your system...

10 hours ago, Bethany Stewart said:

I have something exciting to report. Ever since I was 3 years old, I've dealt with asthma, and I typically have to use an asthma inhaler at least once every day or two days. But now it's been 6 days since I've last used it! I'm starting to wonder if all this time there was something in my diet that was exacerbating the problem. I'm looking forward to following Whole30's reintroduction protocol to try to nail down which food group might be the issue for me.

Breathing easier is absolutely one of the things I'm happiest about where my W30 is concerned. Other than a couple of puffs on my rescue inhaler during the first week or so, I've been fine. I haven't had to use my nebulizer at all! My 30 days are over, but I haven't started reintros yet since I'm going to keep at it for a while longer.

But I truly suspect that dairy was a major factor for me. I might try to test myself with cultured dairy products again in the future, but I'm in no hurry.

Clear breathing is the best! 

Archived