SWYPO - Now I Get It

kb0426

I finished my Whole30 almost a week ago Sunday. On Thursday I had some cheese with my lunch (at a restaurant). Other than the cheese, I have not done any reintroductions because I just don't want to yet.

(I felt like a bloated toad after the cheese.)

Today, I decided that since I was no longer official Whole30, I could make a pancake. You know the kind; eggs mixed with mashed banana, or in my case mashed pumpkin. The foods themselves make the cut, but the method of preparation wouldn't during the whole30.

As I sat there eating my creation, all I could think was This would be good if...and all sorts of ideas came to me. It would be good if I had maple syrup on it, or maybe some drippy peanut butter, or maybe some candied pecans, or maybe if I just had a little brown sugar in there...

I did not do any of the above. I dutifully choked down the totally unsatisfying breakfast.

Why didn't I make an omelet?

I can finally understand why it is NOT recommended to make a paleofied version of compliant foods. Sex with your pants on just ain't sex. It is not satisfying. It is not worth it!

I so know what you mean. However, that would not be a memory of a pancake to me so it wouldn't be SWYPO. Now, if you used almond flower etc. etc...then yes, but I know what you mean. It's completely unsatisfying. When I am not on Whole 30, I will occasionally (as in rarely) have the real thing of whatever it is that I find special, but it has to be worth it because I am never going to eat Paleo Bread. :)

I know there are no stupid questions but... Why don't you add maple syrup?

I know it's liquid sugar, and it might trigger a huge craving for baked goods... But I'm talking about the real deal, high-quality maple syrup, not the high-fructose-corn-syrup kind... Since you're all done with Whole30, why not have paleo pancakes with a bit of maple syrup occasionally?

I know I'm biased, as I live in Quebec, and we love our maple syrup as much as the French love their bread! But why avoid maple syrup at all cost?

Maple syrup releases that sugar dragon. I wouldn't say I made the mistake of re-introducing it, but I introduced maple syrup and it released that locked up sugar dragon. I enjoyed every moment of eating it with my coconut flour pancakes (oh they were so good) but what came to follow? I didn't like that so much. Talk about certain parts of my brain throwing a sugar tantrum afterwards when I went back to whole 30ish type eating. Hence why my day 1 (Round 2) starts tomorrow......

Maple syrup releases that sugar dragon. I wouldn't say I made the mistake of re-introducing it, but I introduced maple syrup and it released that locked up sugar dragon. I enjoyed every moment of eating it with my coconut flour pancakes (oh they were so good) but what came to follow? I didn't like that so much. Talk about certain parts of my brain throwing a sugar tantrum afterwards when I went back to whole 30ish type eating. Hence why my day 1 (Round 2) starts tomorrow......

I so can relate to this. If I had a meal like that (sounds more than heavenly), it would totally be a no brakes meal. I would want ten pancakes and then later, I'd want ten more.

I'm from Quebec, too, and Canadian candies and maple syrup are THE products that will throw off my entire eating plan. I have some maple sugar cream candies sitting in my cupboard right now, and I can't touch them or I'm sunk. I save them to offer as special treats to friends.

I wouldn't say the pancakes+the maple syrup was really the keey that set me off (after all I could only manage to eat 2 - super filling) but it started some "oh what the heck" I'm off the whole 30 moments that I didn't care for. I really noticed it last Sunday where my brain threw a fit and I was not in the mood of eating anything else for breakfast other than pancakes. And I gave in. THAT was the part I didn't like. Especially since I eat mostly compliant, about 90% of the time.

I have 8 quarts of real maple syrup in my pantry right now. Yes, 8 quarts. I clearly love the stuff. But, I am really trying to keep an eye on my added sugars. Even if I am done with my whole30, I just don't want to mess with the feeling great part! If I can make it thru the day without craving sugar, and the subsequent crash, that is a very good thing to me.

I don't think maple syrup could have even salvaged that experiment.

Archived