Pumpkin seeds and pumpkin seed oil?

befabdaily

I love me some pepitas. And I just made a fantastic salad dressing with Le Tourangelle pumpkin seed oil as the base, which I'd hate to pour any of down the drain when I start my Whole 30.

What's the word on these tasty little bits of goodness? Yes? Only in moderation? I have seen them used in a couple of recipes on Foodee, but then I've also seen pumpkin seed oil referred to as a bad oil on some people's lists.

ETA: Wikipedia says the oil is a German folk remedy for tapeworms. I love Wikipedia...

OMG I just bought a big bag of fresh pumpkin seeds from my safeway. They're insanely tasty! They are on the approved list (make sure they're dry roasted or roasted in approved oil or you roast them yourself) but are high in PUFAs and if you're eating a lot regularly they can throw off your omega 6/3 balance so enjoy them once in a while as a treat but don't go crazy.

• 2 weeks later...

I knew a nutrition advisor (not nec. a dietician) who recommended organic pumpkin seed butter as the best choice of any nut/seed butter, but I never heard her reasoning. It's not bad, but I wouldn't eat lots of it.

• 1 year later...

Just to bring this topic back.... Today I was looking for Sunflower Butter at the local co-op. They only had the kind which also contains sunflower oil. I also saw some pumpkin butter, which includes pumpkin oil....compliant? I would use it as a part of sauces and, in the case of a work lunch "emergency," as a fat.

• 5 months later...

Archived