May 15 Start

MrsZimm13

Day 23

So here I am at 9:30 p.m. prepping eggs and potatoes so I can make a big batch of potato salad tomorrow.  What is especially nostalgic is that I make it just like my mom did... with the exception of using the W30 mayo recipe.   I'm also coating an 11 pound beef brisket that will go in the smoker tomorrow morning and stay there all day.  Hoping Wednesday's dinner is fabulous. 

B:  salmon on mixed greens with a splash of vinegar, coffee with coconut oil.

L:  egg, mushroom, onion, burnt ends, egg scrambo with mango salsa and guac.

D:  chicken, potato salad, celery.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 21... sort of anticlimactic after day 20!  Haha 

Anywho...

2 eggs, ham, 6 oz blueberries 

1 bite of banana, chicken soup, 1/4 cup-ish of tuna salad, 3 large green olives

spaghetti squash with marinara with ground venison, kale chips- the best kale chips I've made so far.  More to come tomorrow.

Jodi- your mention of potato salad has me making a batch for this weekend. :)  thanks for the idea.  

Business trip coming up next week.  I feel ready for it.  I don't feel challenged by it.  I know I am going to bring oil and vinegar for my lunch salad, I will have to eat breakfast in the hotel dining room, and dinner the night before is at a seafood restaurant.  I've been day dreaming about shrimp cocktail with a squeeze of lemon.  '"m also packing some olives I bought specifically for this trip.  If I need a nosh on the plane, olives it will be. I am not going to rely on nuts to travel- I can't stop eating nuts...so I no longer have them in my presence. 

Day 24

So it was a picnic kind of day.  Everything I made and ate felt "picnic-y."  It was also fun to eat lunch sitting in my hammock chair in our new screened-in deck, listening to the birds and the water fountain in the pond.  I put the brisket in the smoker at 11:30 this morning.  The smaller half was ready by 8:00 p.m. and I pulled the larger portion out at 9:00.  Holy cannoli was it good!  My sweet husband is in meat heaven.  First time making a brisket and it looks like there will be quite a few more in our future. :P

B:  smoked pork loin, sliced cucumbers, coffee with coconut oil.

L:  beef hot dogs with mustard, celery, potato salad.

D:  smoked brisket, green beans, potato salad. 

Day 22.... 8 days and counting! 

2 eggs, ham, banana

4 moroccan meatballs, carrots in ghee, beets & greens, kale chips

2 fish cakes, spinach salad, tartar sauce, roasted veggies with coconut oil

lots of water

steps 8686

Day 25

Woohooo!!!

B:  beef hot dogs, potato salad, celery, coffee with coconut oil.

L:  salmon with chipotle lime mayo over mixed greens.

D:  chicken fried in olive oil and garlic, potato salad, cucumber and tomato salad with b/evoo.

11 hours ago, Jager07 said:

L:  salmon with chipotle lime mayo over mixed greens.

Hey Lady- Congrats!! Only 4 days to go!! 

How do you make your chipotle lime mayo?  Is it just mayo, powdered chipotle, and lime juice?  It sounds YUMMMY! 

Day 26

Wow has time flown by!  Today was simple eating, working around the house, a bit of shopping for outdoor stuff and then a great grilled steak.  Ahhh....

B:  egg and veggie scrambo, coffee with coconut oil.

L:  fried chicken with guac, celery.

D:  grilled steak, grilled green beans and zucchini with b/evoo.

Day 24

Woke up and did an hour of yoga.

2 eggs, 3 bacon, banana- lots of errands and running around today. 

Very difficult meal- ate at my in-laws house.  They are 81 and 82... she cooked a ton of food and most of it I could not eat.  I had a small piece of beef, a cup of green beans, and a small piece of cauliflower, a small piece of sweet potato.  I did not eat enough at lunch and I was not satisfied.  

Spaghetti squash and meat sauce, rotisserie crock pot chicken, broccoli cooked in bacon fat

Today I feel out of joint. I have not been sleeping enough and this has been ongoing since I began this W30.  I wake up early and within 6 hours, I am very tired.  During the week I have been cat napping while I work.  You may ask how the heck do I do that?  I work from home and when I can no longer keep mum eyes open, I recline in a chair and nap until my phone rings.  For 2 days I've not been wearing my Fitbit so that's why I've not posted my steps.  I've been wanting a beer today.  It was such a nice day, it felt like a good day to have a beer or 2.  Yesterday, it was a good day to go to a winery and have a glass of wine.... not sure why I am having these thoughts or desires at day 24! 

6 days until my W 30 ends.  It's been a good 3 weeks, so far.  I know I've lost weight, which I didn't in my first W30.  For that, I am thankful.  

W30, although it is an elimination diet, I did not do this W30 to see what foods bother my system.  I did it to gain control over what I was eating and I have managed to accomplish that goal.   There is something about committing to do something for 30 days that helps reign in out of control behavior.  That and I also committed to Jodi to stay the course with her.  

2 hours ago, MrsZimm13 said:

Day 24

Woke up and did an hour of yoga.

2 eggs, 3 bacon, banana- lots of errands and running around today. 

Very difficult meal- ate at my in-laws house.  They are 81 and 82... she cooked a ton of food and most of it I could not eat.  I had a small piece of beef, a cup of green beans, and a small piece of cauliflower, a small piece of sweet potato.  I did not eat enough at lunch and I was not satisfied.  

Spaghetti squash and meat sauce, rotisserie crock pot chicken, broccoli cooked in bacon fat

Today I feel out of joint. I have not been sleeping enough and this has been ongoing since I began this W30.  I wake up early and within 6 hours, I am very tired.  During the week I have been cat napping while I work.  You may ask how the heck do I do that?  I work from home and when I can no longer keep mum eyes open, I recline in a chair and nap until my phone rings.  For 2 days I've not been wearing my Fitbit so that's why I've not posted my steps.  I've been wanting a beer today.  It was such a nice day, it felt like a good day to have a beer or 2.  Yesterday, it was a good day to go to a winery and have a glass of wine.... not sure why I am having these thoughts or desires at day 24! 

6 days until my W 30 ends.  It's been a good 3 weeks, so far.  I know I've lost weight, which I didn't in my first W30.  For that, I am thankful.  

W30, although it is an elimination diet, I did not do this W30 to see what foods bother my system.  I did it to gain control over what I was eating and I have managed to accomplish that goal.   There is something about committing to do something for 30 days that helps reign in out of control behavior.  That and I also committed to Jodi to stay the course with her.  

Oh Susan!  You are wonderful!  I am so proud of you for everything you've accomplished and how hard you've worked.  The disconnect and out of sorts feelings completely bite, but you didn't give in.  You are my hero.  hugs.

Day 27

Today I was sad and irritated....almost to the point of my former go-to of not eating, but I didn't go that route.  Other people and stuff don't have the right to control me.  Much like what Susan said, W30 has helped me have control over what I'm eating (or not eating) and WHY.  That was hugely important today.

B:  boiled eggs, celery, coffee with coconut oil.

L:  lettuce wrapped hamburger with guac.

D:  fried chicken, cabbage slaw with b/evoo.

6 hours ago, Jager07 said:

Oh Susan!  You are wonderful!  I am so proud of you for everything you've accomplished and how hard you've worked.  The disconnect and out of sorts feelings completely bite, but you didn't give in.  You are my hero.  hugs.

Oh, I'm not in danger of giving up.  I can make it to Friday! LOL

Big hugs to you, my friend.  You're rockin your W30 just like I knew you would. 

6 hours ago, Jager07 said:

Day 27

Today I was sad and irritated....almost to the point of my former go-to of not eating, but I didn't go that route.  Other people and stuff don't have the right to control me.  Much like what Susan said, W30 has helped me have control over what I'm eating (or not eating) and WHY.  That was hugely important today.

B:  boiled eggs, celery, coffee with coconut oil.

L:  lettuce wrapped hamburger with guac.

D:  fried chicken, cabbage slaw with b/evoo.

I hear you!  yesterday was an OK day until one of my dogs killed one of my new chicks.  It made me very mad and sad.  But, that was towards the end of the day and was the icing on the cake so to speak. 

I hope today is a better day for you (and me!). But, I have been up since 4 am... on a SUNDAY!!  Why??  UGH!!  I"m hoping to read until I get tired enough to fall back asleep.

Howdy all-

Well, I did fall back to sleep this morning and didn't get out of bed until 10 am.  I may have gotten a 7-8 hours of sleep overall.  I have not felt sleepy all day- thankfully. 

I have to travel tomorrow for business.  I have already packed lunch for the plane....as long as I remember to grab it before I go, all will be well.  Grilled chicken breast, Belly dance beet salad, potato salad.  That's a repeat of my lunch today.  I know now that nuts are a binge food for me, so unless they are in a prepared meal, I am not eating them. Nuts used to be my "go to" travel food- I am trying to break that addiction.  

Day 28

Found a way to use some of the leftover over brisket - chop it up, chop baked potatoes, put both in mini muffin tins and pour eggs and s/p over the top.  Super yummy.

B:  brisket, potato and egg "muffins," coffee with coconut oil.

L:  fried chicken, a sliced cucumber in apple cider vinegar, almond butter.

D:  fried salmon, big salad with b/evoo.

1 hour ago, Jager07 said:

Day 28

Found a way to use some of the leftover over brisket - chop it up, chop baked potatoes, put both in mini muffin tins and pour eggs and s/p over the top.  Super yummy.

B:  brisket, potato and egg "muffins," coffee with coconut oil.

L:  fried chicken, a sliced cucumber in apple cider vinegar, almond butter.

D:  fried salmon, big salad with b/evoo.

LOVE the inventive recipe you devised to use brisket!  It sounds SO good! 

Day 25... 5 days and counting Whoop!! 

Woke up early... blah blah blah,,,, already wrote about all that.

Spinach, cucumber, chicken breast, avocado oil, B vinegar spices

Chicken breast, belly dance beet salad (a keeper!), potato salad

pork rinds, 2 T blueberries

Went to the pool today for a few hours- that was SO relaxing.  And, I didn't think about beer once!  For me, usually, the pool and beer go together like peas and carrots.  

Packed to head to Boston.  

Day 26...4 days and counting. 

2 eggs, ghee

beet salad, chicken breast, guacamole, potato salad, 1 apple, 1 small cucumber

2 colossal shrimp with lemon

Pan seared scallops in olive oil, broccoli, green beans sautéed in olive oil, mixed greens salad with olive oil and balsamic

i almost ordered a baked potato then thought better of it and asked for broccoli.  I'm glad I did, because I don't need to eat potatoes twice in one day. 

Today was a very successful day.  I traveled and didn't feel the pull of bad foods, I ate out for a business dinner and didn't have a hard time not drinking.  I ordered sparkling water with lime and no one at the table made any comments or tried to get me to drink alcohol.  There was a basket of fresh hot bread, crusty and delicious looking.... I didn't even have the desire to have a piece.  

Jodi- THANK YOU! You're the best accountability partner anyone could hope for!  Today is your day 29....tomorrow is the big day!  

Commitment

Undertaking a Whole30 is a huge commitment.  The commitment aspect, is what, in my opinion, kept me in line, in check, not willing to waiver.  I think it's important to make a commitment like this to ourselves, to challenge what we are able to do without. 

I can say with 100% certainty, that had I not started this W30 when I did, I would have continued to be out of control with what I was eating.  The commitment has helped bring control back to my life and I am very thankful.  

26 minutes ago, MrsZimm13 said:

Commitment

Undertaking a Whole30 is a huge commitment.  The commitment aspect, is what, in my opinion, kept me in line, in check, not willing to waiver.  I think it's important to make a commitment like this to ourselves, to challenge what we are able to do without. 

I can say with 100% certainty, that had I not started this W30 when I did, I would have continued to be out of control with what I was eating.  The commitment has helped bring control back to my life and I am very thankful.  

You have continued to amaze me with your persistence, positivity and energy.  I am beyond grateful for what you've helped teach all of us.  ;-)

Day 29

Is it really ONE day away from 30????  So tomorrow I meet with my endocrinologist to go over labs for my thyroid.  The last couple of visits have been great and she's told me to keep doing what I'm doing.  I will not look at the scale for the weighing, but it will be on my online chart when I log in for specs.  I love that the scale only mildly interests me any more.

B:  turkey hot dogs, celery, coffee with coconut oil.

L:  a hamburger with pickles, onions and mustard, a sliced cucumber, almond butter.

D:  brisket/potato/egg bits, green beans with b/evoo.

p.s. at almost 10:00 p.m. I'm craving potato salad.  Guess I'll be making another batch tomorrow.  ;-)

I read this article while eating breakfast today. I wonder if napping adds to a daily sleep total??  Does anyone know?

I rarely ever get 8 or 9 hours of sleep.  I stir in bed, my mind activates (chickens need to be let out) and thats it. No more sleep for me. 

If anyone knows if a nap adds to 'total hours of sleep' please let me know  

http://whole9life.com/2011/09/whole9-health-equation/

The person next to me at the breakfast restaurant ( I could not help but overhear the order and see it because they were so close to me on the same bench) ordered:

oatmeal, rye toast dry, a chocolate chip muffin, 1 banana, 1 apple, 1 orange 

WOW what a heavy carb load, I thought.  No protein in sight.  No fat in sight.  On any other day I might have been envious of the toast, or muffin....I could never be envious of oatmeal  lol.  Today I felt bad for this person.  I bet they thought they were doing everything right with no fat.... 

I'm thankful for W30 in my life!  Too bad there are not W30 business cards converts could hand out to people who could use some guidance. 

Archived