Seriously!?!

aped

I'm seriously struggling. Life after the Whole30 isn't doing well for me. It's like without that "Whole30" title i'm falling apart. I did so freaking well, and I didn't even splurge when I lost my best friend--my 4 legged son.

Now, i'm not so good. It's like all the pent up emotional eating is coming out. I try really hard, and I know that I do better without dairy but the bad days I've had i'm like, "Eh, what the heck." I don't know where it is coming from, and quite frankly it sucks. I don't want it to be like that. I've read and reread the chapter in the book about getting back on and doing a whole7, 14, etc. But, my emotions have just been a wreck. I'm working on getting back on track emotionally (acupuncture).

I'll get back on w/ the guidelines, and I feel better but then another day comes where I give in. It's so weird. I know the flow chart and to be completely honest, I run it through my head. But, I guess, for this time--my body concedes w/ the eating being better somehow. Maybe i'm not scrutinizing it enough.

The things I thought I would struggle with from the beginning of the Whole30 aren't even the problem--i.e., coffee w/ cream or half and half. I don't even like it anymore. It's the comfort foods--ice cream, cupcakes, and only for a time pumpkin spice lattes from my favorite place ever Atwaters. I don't do bread or gluten, well except when I eat a cupcake. To be honest too, the ice cream isn't really that bad, it is the damn cupcakes which is weird. That was the one thing I craved the ENTIRE Whole30. Before the Whole30, ice cream was my passion.

Ok, that's totally more of a rant than asking for guidance, but does anyone have thoughts?

• Moderators

It sounds like you are using food to deal with your emotions. You need to find better ways to deal with your feelings. Acupuncture is not an obvious way to deal with emotions. Talking with a therapist or counselor is a more direct route. I used to be a psychotherapist and worked on myself with a series of psychotherapists over the years, so view talking with a professional in a very positive light.

Awwww...so sorry for you loss. Give yourself a break. It is a difficult time for you. Don't stress over eating. You need time to heal emotionally. Get yourself back into paleo land when you feel a bit better. I think that stressing over what you are eating can just make things worse when you're emotionally exhausted. Get a game plan in mind. When you feel up to it...go grocery shopping for your favorite paleo foods and commit. Remind yourself of how wonderful you'll feel after a few days of good eating. It is a balancing act when it comes to dealing with your emotions and knowing when you are ready to benefit from a whole30. Good for you for spending time reading the book. Maybe researching other sources (such as this blog) and viewing success stories, will help to give you the drive to push past the cupcakes. There's tons of info out there on the negative effects of sugar. Sometimes that helps me to steer clear of those foods. You'll crave sugary things when you are tired. Make sure you're getting enough good sleep and go do some fun things. Again, I'm sorry for your loss. I totally understand how that feels. Take care. :)

I can totally relate. I felt the exact same way about 6 weeks out from my first W30. Like seriously? Am I this f*cked up about food? I gave it some time and started another W30 and am feeling much more sane now.

Sorry about your loss. I know how hard that is and it sounds like you need time to work through some emotions.

Archived