August 7th Start Date

MarieC1978

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 8/1/2017 at 10:37 AM, MelissaSue said:

Super excited! (And honestly super scared) but it looks like there is a tribe of people here to go through the journey with me and I cannot be more grateful for that. I've had a REALLY unsuccessful past 3.5 years trying to get my life back on track. I'm crazy tired of the destructive cycle and I know this is what I need to break it. Cheers to Aug 7th.. (of course I'm mentall clinking a glass of La Croix. Promise.) 

I almost made it through my first W30 without a single slip and I gotta say that the one thing that helped the most was this forum.  There are so many experienced W30 members who can walk you off a ledge or get you through with great ideas and encouragement.  I suggest going through the forum in depth a little a day and read some of the past posts (especially the ones about illnesses and issues if you have any) because there is some really good stuff!

Okay...so on vacation I was completely out of control!!!  Yesterday (Day 1) was super hard because I woke up cranky and hangry!  I wanted waffles and hash browns so badly because my system was in vacation overload.  I unpacked and got my house in order, but I swear there was a little, evil Tasmanian Devil inside me waiting to devour anything in my path.  Got through the day and when I wrote in my journal last night, I had to call myself out for my horrible attitude all day.  Should have jumped on the forum to read how my W30 friends were doing, but I couldn't stop or I was going to crawl out of my skin.

Day 2... woke up in a much better mood, so I am blaming the "vacation foods" for my bad attitude.  I'm going with the excuse that food affects my mood (and I'm sticking to it).  Tonight, I am treating my family to STEAK, baked potatoes, a side salad with olive oil, and roasted asparagus because I can.  I know I'm going to miss putting some sour cream on my baked potato, but ghee, salt, and pepper it is.  Having said this...anyone got a W30 compliant sour cream substitute?  I thought of maybe using a dab of Primal Kitchen's Chipotle Lime Mayo, but hmmm... that sounds weird.  We will see and I'll let you know if I do.

Keep going everyone!  Think of it this way...only 28 days after today!

So I know I just posted, and you are all thinking "get a life," but I did a search on the forum and it says to use homemade mayo with a little lemon/lime juice (for tang) as a substitute for sour cream.  Soooo...I don't have time today to make homemade mayo, but I do have a wonderful jar of Primal Kitchen's Mayo, so mayo it is on my baked potato tonight!  Just gotta double check the label to ensure it is compliant and viola!

• Moderators
11 minutes ago, MarieC1978 said:

So I know I just posted, and you are all thinking "get a life," but I did a search on the forum and it says to use homemade mayo with a little lemon/lime juice (for tang) as a substitute for sour cream.  Soooo...I don't have time today to make homemade mayo, but I do have a wonderful jar of Primal Kitchen's Mayo, so mayo it is on my baked potato tonight!  Just gotta double check the label to ensure it is compliant and viola!

Nice!  Good research!

"It is not hard. Don't you dare tell us this is hard"

"If you're the kind who responds well to tough love (for which the Whole30 is famous), this line was written for you"

I need tough love. No "you didn't know so don't restart". No "its just one bite".

4 hours ago, Sara Cameron-Ragazzo said:

Work friends all gone to Tumbleweed (yuck) for lunch.  Then, there is this! (not pictured . . . a side of spaghetti squash with truffle ghee and W30 tomato sauce!!!)

day 2 lunch.jpg

Just curious. Is the ghee a strong flavor? I haven't bought any yet. 

1 minute ago, SnappySue said:

We're halfway through day 2 when I look at the bacon and see it has honey! I should have looked before we cooked it up. I've seen others saying they had to start completely over?! Is this true?! 

Sorry, didn't see your post before writing mine. If you have the book, check out pg 57. Some will say no. Some will say yes. Only you can decide how you want to interpret what they're saying and what you want to get out of the W30

1 minute ago, Brensuma said:

Sorry, didn't see your post before writing mine. If you have the book, check out pg 57. Some will say no. Some will say yes. Only you can decide how you want to interpret what they're saying and what you want to get out of the W30

Thanks for the quotes. I just hate to have to find a new group. :) My husband cooked up the bacon and it just slipped my attention. 

• Whole30 Certified Coach

Day 2 down! I made my meals a little larger today because I was VERY hungry. I made it through without snacking, but if I'm going to do that every day, I'll need to beef up my meals. Also, it turns out my hubby's schedule has had him not eating the meals so I have way too much. I have decided to stretch out the meals and try to improvise. Tonight for supper I had spaghetti squash and ground elk tomato sauce over spinach with some roasted potatoes, poached egg, avocado, and scallions. Also, epic bacon bits. Y'all... get some, they are amazing. This was one of my favorite meals...of. All. Time. Bring on the next 28 days!IMG_5102.thumb.JPG.9f4f7461ba11b07e01b53b3b0626afcd.JPG

My daughter's boyfriend is having a going away party for her this weekend and is cooking a brisket. I know I can have brisket, but not knowing what he is seasoning it with has me thinking I should take a compliant dish. Thought I'd take either a salad or a veggie tray too. Any suggestions on a main dish to take. Thought about just doing a pork loin in the crockpot. 

10 hours ago, Sara Cameron-Ragazzo said:

Thanks Sara!! The ice cubes were a life saver for me as I'm not a huge water drinker, lol.

As for today I had a rough afternoon. I felt great all morning and around 2pm I became irritable and basically angry with everything. It was an awful feeling. I was stressed and wanted my fix. I would get even more anxious knowing I couldn't smoke, have that glass of wine or eat the things that always made me feel better. Big Mac's were the little birdies circling around my head. I don't know if I would have made it if my husband hadn't called me and said you got this. It'll pass soon enough. You have 2 days in and each day that passes will be better (I hope so, as the whole30 timeline was a bit scary). 

The good news was that I didn't give in and I made it through today. I made a slow cooker brisket in the crock pot so when I got home I kept my mind of those things by cooking up some roasted potatoes and sautéed zucchini. Now I have leftovers for tomorrow and a lovely addition for breakfast.

Thanks you guys as I need to vent and post daily. This is how I keep myself honest and hope for feedback with others who may have the same or similar struggles.

I'll talk to you all tomorrow as we begin the journey to fulfill day 3!!!

Congrats to you all on your amazing journeys and I'm proud of all of us as I know we all have our reasons, food  addictions and just plain old bad habits that we want to overcome.

See you tomorrow!

@Kdog777  congratulations!  Super proud of you. So glad your husband is such a wonderful support for you. I'm pretty sure the irritability is mostly from the nicotine. After three days most of it will be out of your system and it's a mental thing after that.  Your body is getting so cleaned out right now and you're going to feel awesome in just two weeks. Hang in there. It will be so worth it!  

Day 3.......Did you all remember to "hide" the scale? I know for a fact I started out (last time) thinking "I can stay off it, no problem" and then towards the end of the 30 was tempted because I "felt" thinner. But I also know myself enough to know if I had stepped on it and it hadn't gone down I'd have been so bummed out I'd have just thrown in the towel and eaten junk.

Don't forget your water! 

12 hours ago, Cinlynn said:

@anchorageali I was thinking I would try the peppermint essential oil. I keep a bottle sitting on my desk at work. I tried chewing on fresh mint as suggested in the book and about gagged!  It helped to brush my teeth after lunch. 

I have been putting peppermint oil (1 drop only) on my tongue for a gum fix - not because I chewed gum but because my mouth and teeth feel so gross!  I also put it on my temples for that low grade headache that hit me on day 2.  Day 3 here we go!!

11 hours ago, Kdog777 said:

Thanks Sara!! The ice cubes were a life saver for me as I'm not a huge water drinker, lol.

As for today I had a rough afternoon. I felt great all morning and around 2pm I became irritable and basically angry with everything. It was an awful feeling. I was stressed and wanted my fix. I would get even more anxious knowing I couldn't smoke, have that glass of wine or eat the things that always made me feel better. Big Mac's were the little birdies circling around my head. I don't know if I would have made it if my husband hadn't called me and said you got this. It'll pass soon enough. You have 2 days in and each day that passes will be better (I hope so, as the whole30 timeline was a bit scary). 

The good news was that I didn't give in and I made it through today. I made a slow cooker brisket in the crock pot so when I got home I kept my mind of those things by cooking up some roasted potatoes and sautéed zucchini. Now I have leftovers for tomorrow and a lovely addition for breakfast.

Thanks you guys as I need to vent and post daily. This is how I keep myself honest and hope for feedback with others who may have the same or similar struggles.

I'll talk to you all tomorrow as we begin the journey to fulfill day 3!!!

Congrats to you all on your amazing journeys and I'm proud of all of us as I know we all have our reasons, food  addictions and just plain old bad habits that we want to overcome.

See you tomorrow!

How are you today Kdog???  Sent good thoughts your way as you succeed one day at a time!!!  You can do this!

Did you order your ice cubes?

I started mid-day August 7! Had what I believe to be some low blood sugar issues around 3pm yesterday which brought on anxiety. Low blood sugar and electrolytes have always been an issue for me, especially when going to the gym regularly. I'm typically active and eat pretty healthy as it is, but haven't done much physical activity and def haven't been at the gym regularly in months. So starting this and the gym at the same time may take a toll on my electrolytes, I also love salt and salty foods. I have pedialyte, but I'm going to assume that I can't have that? I did see that I can have coconut water.

OK, looking for some good ideas for how you guys are getting your plated fats, especially for breakfast.  I know from feedback that I am hungry because I'm  having a hard time incorporating plated fat.  This morning, I may have found a go-to fat / fruit combo with 1/2 blueberries covered in Native Forest Organic unsweetened coconut milk.  That's gonna get old.  Going to buy some compliant smoked salmon and I am adding olive oil on top of my eggs / arugula.  Other ideas?  I have been using olives on my lunch salad and I have a ton of avocados but, for some reason, they aren't ripening well so I'm struggling with something like that that is easy.  

Ideas when you guys have time!  Thanks - 2 days done folks!!  We've got this.

Archived