A fresh start on July 31st

rileyspeep

• Moderators
30 minutes ago, CaseyLee said:

Question: what is whole30 compliant 'deli meat?' I've seen that it is a form of protein. Is it the meat they sell at the deli counter at the grocery store? Like Boar's head?

Thanks in advance!

Yes, the stuff you might use on a sandwich, either from the deli counter or the pre-sliced packaged stuff. It's very difficult to find any that doesn't have carrageenan or sweeteners or other off-plan stuff, but if you can find it, it can be a time saver occasionally for a meal. If you go to the deli counter, they should be able to show you the labels for anything you want to buy so you can check ingredients -- don't just take the employee's word for it that it's what you're looking for. For pre-packaged, try brands like Applegate Farms or some of the other organic/natural type brands, but again, even then, it's very difficult to find any that is Whole30 compliant. 

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks so much @ShannonM816 !

Another question if I may -- I stopped caffeine also on 8/1 and am wondering if that is a good idea. I am feeling headachy again today and assume that might be it? I would have about 16 to 32 oz of unsweetened ice tea daily. Any thoughts on giving up caffeine at the same time as W30? 

Hi, everyone! Yesterday (Day 3) was tough. I was confronted with lots of offers of snacks at work including party mix, leftover falafel, hummus and other things from a corporate lunch. I resisted, however, and managed to make it through to lunch by having a couple cups of chai tea with a little almond milk. For lunch I brought lettuce wraps made with leftover Kahlua pork and mango salsa, and I also sipped on some leftover chicken pho broth that I made the night before.  Dinner was salmon topped with avocado mayo and scallions and roasted, as well as the last of my roasted sweet potato wedges with some Tessamae's ketchup. I was surprised at how salty the ketchup tasted, but I think my palate is so used to how sweet the regular stuff is! I also made my fiancé's lunch, which was pulled pork mac and cheese and was proud of myself for not tasting any of it for seasoning - I had him come and help me with that part instead :) I did find myself wanting sweets after dinner, and getting frustrated with myself for feeling that way. I ended up pouring myself a tall glass of lemon water and climbing into bed early to read and relax, which did help signal to my brain that eating was done for the day.

Looking forward to hitting the gym again today after work!

• Moderators
1 hour ago, CaseyLee said:

Thanks so much @ShannonM816 !

Another question if I may -- I stopped caffeine also on 8/1 and am wondering if that is a good idea. I am feeling headachy again today and assume that might be it? I would have about 16 to 32 oz of unsweetened ice tea daily. Any thoughts on giving up caffeine at the same time as W30? 

Caffeine withdrawal can definitely cause a headache. It's really up to you how you want to go forward -- if it's just the caffeine withdrawal causing it, it should only last a few days, so you could just wait it out. Drink lots of water, take some Tylenol or something if you really need it, and know that in a few more days, you'll be past it. If it's really bad and you don't want to just wait it out, you could go back to having tea and try cutting back on the amount gradually over time, if your goal is to ultimately give up caffeine. Do remember that Whole30 doesn't say you can't have caffeine, so it's really up to you.

I'd guess that there are quite a few people who end up giving up caffeine during Whole30 because all of their favorite sources of it involve sweeteners and/or dairy, so if they can't get used to unsweetened tea or coffee without milk or creamer, they just stop having them. I did that my first time around, I just couldn't get into coffee with coconut milk. It was a miserable few days, but then my energy picked back up and the headaches stopped and it was fine.

56 minutes ago, ShannonM816 said:

Caffeine withdrawal can definitely cause a headache. It's really up to you how you want to go forward -- if it's just the caffeine withdrawal causing it, it should only last a few days, so you could just wait it out. Drink lots of water, take some Tylenol or something if you really need it, and know that in a few more days, you'll be past it. If it's really bad and you don't want to just wait it out, you could go back to having tea and try cutting back on the amount gradually over time, if your goal is to ultimately give up caffeine. Do remember that Whole30 doesn't say you can't have caffeine, so it's really up to you.

I'd guess that there are quite a few people who end up giving up caffeine during Whole30 because all of their favorite sources of it involve sweeteners and/or dairy, so if they can't get used to unsweetened tea or coffee without milk or creamer, they just stop having them. I did that my first time around, I just couldn't get into coffee with coconut milk. It was a miserable few days, but then my energy picked back up and the headaches stopped and it was fine.

Thanks! Perfect answer. I will wait it out. :)

• Moderators
1 hour ago, pearlgirl2017 said:

I get so tired of eating such huge meals.  Right now all I can think about is how nice a simple apple with some almond butter and a few grapes would be for a light supper.   

What kinds of meals are you usually eating? Could you come up with things that feel a little lighter but still meet the template? 

For me, this happens a lot in the summer, when it's hot and sticky and I don't want to cook and nothing sounds good. At those times I want things that are cool and crisp and light. So something like this Gado Gado (especially if you've precooked a bunch of chicken already, so you don't have to cook again), or tuna salad on a bed of leafy greens, or deviled eggs with carrots, celery, jicama, and other vegetables with some guac or ranch dressing for dipping. For other vegetable options, you could do salads like these, or chilled soups

I hope I'm less tired tomorrow! I'm happy I did not "want to kill all things".

meal 1: shredded pork, Green beans, baked potato with ghee

meal 2: wonton in a bowl

meal 3: not hungry at all. I think too tired. I ate two eggs and a baked potato with ghee. Sorry, no veggies. I just couldn't make myself.

Good night:)

Good morning! I'm feeling pretty good less puffy and can tell my gut is healing. I have been SO thirsty and only sparkling water has be staisfiying. Is there a limit on the amount of carbonated water one should drink a day? I only drink plain... opinions? 

Morning all!  how did everyone make out on Day 4?  @NerdyGirl did you try the omelet?  I didn't even pretend today that I needed to halve the recipe and made the full batch and ate the heck out of it.....it is my new obsessions so ridiculously good.  Who knew blueberries and eggs were supposed to go together??

Had a good day for the most part yesterday, although someone in the office made toast.....toast....no big deal right?  except it smelled like the most heavenly thing I have ever smelled in my life and I just wanted to tract it down :(

Persevered and came home to find my husband had made me a lovely Whole30 compliant meal of steak, roasted brussel sprouts, mushrooms and cauliflower - he is a total keeper.

I taught Zumba last night and seriously felt like I had been hit by a freight train thereafter!  hope to get to the high energy levels super soon!

Good luck to us all conquering Day 5!  Going the weekend with no alcohol is going to be a serious challenge for this wine lover!

Happy Friday and Day 5 (or 4) to everyone! You've all made it to the end of the work week, Hooray! 

@Mariama No, I have not tried the omlet yet, but it is on the list.  I had mashed sweet potatoes and shredded chicken for breakfast this morning instead. I have a farm share and this week we received so much fruit! Luckily I split my share with a coworker, but I have watermelon, canary melon, canteloupe, and peaches!  I went to farmers market this morning to buy some veggies to balance it out.  I too had steak for dinner last night and it was delicious! 

15 hours ago, ShannonM816 said:

What kinds of meals are you usually eating? Could you come up with things that feel a little lighter but still meet the template? 

It has been so hot, it drains the energy right out of me.  Yesterday just seemed to be a bad day.  Breakfast was awful, lunch was tolerable, and dinner was whatever I felt I could handle.

I know we are supposed to eat fruit sparingly, and I try to adhere to it.  I know it's just "natures candy".  I simply wasn't hungry, but I did eat what I could.  2 hard boiled eggs, olives, and a bunch of grapes.  Not the best meal but some days are like that.

Today should be better.

3 hours ago, Waltz.T said:

Good morning! I'm feeling pretty good less puffy and can tell my gut is healing. I have been SO thirsty and only sparkling water has be staisfiying. Is there a limit on the amount of carbonated water one should drink a day? I only drink plain... opinions? 

I usually add lemon or lime but the possibilities are endless.  Cucumber, watermelon, orange, raspberries etc...

@Mariama the omelet was awesome.  I didn't have fresh blueberries so I used the frozen ones I had on hand.  We can all guess how that went, but it was still a very flavorful change.  I had 1/2 the omelet, I added a strip of bacon and a spinach / strawberry salad.  The other half and more of the salad are in the fridge for lunch.

I find that if I try to eat 3 eggs and 2 cups of veggies in the morning I don't get hungry until after 2 in the afternoon.  If I ever feel that I need to snack before 12:30 I'll start increasing the size of my breakfast.  As it is, it's more than I used to eat (which was nothing).

Days 1-3 weren't too bad for me and I was beginning to wonder if I was doing this right lol!  But yesterday and today I woke up dead tired which made me feel better oddly enough ... if that makes sense.

My husband made cookies yesterday and claimed they may be the best he's EVER made.  He tried to convince me to eat just one but I explained I would have to start my Whole 30 over and would just take his word for it :-) 

Despite having lower energy the past two days, I do feel like I'm starting to see some benefits of being more diligent in my food choices.  I tried to stay away from processed food before I started the Whole 30 so this program hasn't been as difficult for me as I initially expected.  I feel like my allergies are starting to get better and I'm definitely feeling less bloated. 

I'm not starting an IG based around my Whole 30 progress, but I do have an account under @Kungfu_Pamda.

Happy Friday all!

@Kungfu_Pamda aren't men the greatest?  My guy kept trying to convince me to have some of his french fries. "Come on, one isn't gonna hurt you."  I told him probably not, but I'll wait the full 30 days before I have any.

I haven't had the symptoms of the timeline so bad that I noticed any changes either.  I've been keeping a journal of what I've been eating so I can visually see what I'm doing.  "Oh, I left the fat off that meal", or, "I haven't had any starchy veggie yet today".  Sometimes my meal plans don't happen the way they are supposed to.

It should help me get better each day so that I won't have to think about every little detail.

Hope you have a great experience and determine what is causing your issues. My wife and I started the same day as you. I'm really enjoying the program because of what it's done for me so far. I had a lot of "unhealthy" habits that needed to go, and this program was my ticket. 

Good luck on your journey. I'll be right there with you.

• Moderators
5 hours ago, Waltz.T said:

No, there's no limit but bubbles can make people extremely bloated so just watch that... :)

Hi, all! Hope your days are going well!

I am on Day 4 and noticing that I have strong leg cramps and some dizziness when standing quickly (I do have low blood pressure.).

I haven't changed much else other than starting W30 (I am working out the same as before with three days/week of HIIT for 55 minutes) - any ideas? I do take a lot of magnesium. I also have added more water - now I drink about 50 - 60 oz per day. (I weight 106 and live in southern CA).

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

On 8/2/2017 at 7:41 AM, Ejanecek83 said:

Is anyone making an IG for their Whole30 experience? 

Mine is: Emilysfitnessfun

i want to follow you and see all of your pics!

My IG isn't Whole30 specific , but you can find it at windyridgepottery and christyhamiltoncole. 

Just saw this thread- I also started on Monday. I've been feeling very lethargic and meh since Tuesday which I'm assuming is down to the lack of sugar and cutting down of caffeine (I'd rather not drink black tea at all than have it with no milk). Despite the lethargy I'm feeling otherwise pretty well today, I made spicy chicken and mexican style cauli rice last night and just had the leftovers for lunch- so good! I stocked up on whole30 friendly ingredients in Costco at the weekend and rearranged my tiny kitchen. I've been enjoying the cooking part of this so much, I invested in a cast iron pan today and I'm looking forward to trying out frittatas or shaksuka at the weekend.

I am also completely obsessed with the homemade mayo- I was never a big mayo person before but the homemade stuff is just so good. I'm hoping to experiment with making different variations this weekend. 

Archived