Fat-bottomed girls will be riding today

Kirsteen

In the words of the late, great Freddie Mercury "I want to ride my bicycle, I want to ride my bike". It's now day 60 of my W30 and I've realised, at some point, I have to go it on my own, even if I still need training wheels :).

I've decided that, for a few days anyway, I won't reintroduce any new foods but will ease up on my eating schedule. I've struggled lots of times in the last 60 days to eat 3 meals a day. My normal routine was always two. I think this is directly related to the M.E. Because I'm so much less active than anyone else, I reckon I probably need less calories, though not less nutrition (so no rubbish) than others. Plus, when I'm tired, the mere act of digesting food makes me worse. So I'm going to try listening to my body and not forcing it to eat when it doesn't feel like it and possibly add more fruit as I've only been having it once or twice a week.

When it comes to reintroducing food, well I've been gluten free for 12 years and dairy free for over a year so they ain't ever coming back. Having read the Hartwigs, Rob Wolfe and Mike Sissons I'm convinced that grains and legumes aren't good for us whether I react to them or not so, other than 'maybe' trying them once to see how I react, they're off the menu.

I also try to keep sugar to a minimum anyway because of all the evidence that it feeds cancer and I loathe (on health grounds) all artificial sweeteners. However, previously I have found Manuka honey helpful for stomach upsets and sore throats and 2 squares of 85% dark chocolate stop a tickly cough better than any cough medicine, so those may come back in if needed. Fortunately I don't have a sugar dragon, my dragon was called Cheese but he starved to death a long time ago.

My real question is about organic miso made from brown rice and soybeans. I know I can now introduce what I want but I'm really interested in the health implications. I avoid all other forms of soy like the plague and also any wheat based miso. However I've always thought miso soup was good for you and really easy to digest. I'd really like to know peoples' views on this, especially any literature about it. Is there any health reasons I should be wary of reintroducing it?

Sorry for being so long winded.

• Moderators

Many years ago, a friend developed cancer in her early 30s. She sought Asian guidance to improve her diet as part of her fight against the cancer. She ate miso soup and other foods different than our ordinary Birmingham, Alabama diet in an attempt to regain her health. The soup did not save her. She died at age 35. I loved her and, consequently, I feel affectionate towards miso soup to this day. But miso soup is not really special. You say that from your readings you get why grains and legumes don't make you more healthy. Miso is probably not notably bad for you, but it is made with grains and legumes, so it can't rise to the level of something that really makes you more healthy. Bottom line: I would not be especially wary of miso, but I don't see a reason to include it in a healthy diet.

Thanks Tom, I guess I'll leave it as something I may or may not try in the future. As for the 'cough medicine', seriously studies have shown dark chocolate ( 75% and above) does work better than any commercial cough medicine. it takes about 15 minutes to work but is only useful for dry non-productive coughs. If it's a chesty cough where you're coughing up phlegm it's useless :(

Archived