Reintroducing Chia Seed

shelley417

Tomorrow I will have completed my Whole 30. I am feeling so good that I am not inclined to reintroduce anything. However, one of the issues that has not resolved for me is my bathroom habits. Before the whole 30 I had chia seed in my smoothie in the morning. While I do not want to go back to the smoothies-- I love my eggs and butternut squash for breakfast-- I am wondering if I can reintroduce chia seed? If not, please explain. Thanks.

Well after a W30 you can actually try reintroducing anything you want. However you can actually have chia seed on a W30. the following is from a recent post from Melissa in the Can I have forum. Not sure how to link to it so I've just copied it here

The short answer: chia is not encouraged in general, but fine for your Whole30.

The long answer: I'm actually regretting classifying this as a pseudo-cereal in It Starts With Food - we will probably edit this out in the next edition. Mat Lalonde calls it a pseudo-cereal, Robb Wolf says it's not necessarily health food but probably not problematic, and Mark Sisson classifies it as pretty much the same as flax and hemp seed.

We've always taken the Sisson approach - because of the nutrient profile, we believe it falls more into the flax/hemp category than the buckwheat/quinoa category. Those foods - flax, hemp, and chia - are not encouraged because of their particular fatty acid profile, but they are highly unlikely to be problematic in the same way other grains are during your Whole30. Therefore, they're in - not encouraged, but not banned.

Apologies for the confusion - like I said, sometimes even we have to make a judgment call ruling on Whole30 questions like this.M

Melissa

• 1 month later...

- flax, hemp, and chia - are not encouraged because of their particular fatty acid profile,

Kirsteen,

I would be interested in more information about this statement. From http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/nut-and-seed-products/3061/2 it looks like Chia is one of the few plant seeds where omega3 content is greater than omega 6, which is beneficial.

• Moderators

EPA and DHA are long-chain omega-3 fatty acids found to have great benefit for health, lowering cholesterol and decreasing the risk of cardiovascular disease. However, chia seeds, and other plant-based sources, do not contain EPA or DHA. Chia seeds contain the omega-3 fatty acid ALA that your body can convert to EPA and DHA. The conversion process is not reliable, so you don't get much good from the omega3s in chia seeds.

Wow, this is good timing, I have just started experimenting with chia seeds again (since they have been reclassed as fodmap okay at levels less than 1 1/2 tablespoons) for a thickener since I struggle with tapioca and have been known to go overboard with coconut flour and almond meal. I am also going to look at guar gum again. I wasnt quite sure where they fit in so this profile info is really helpful, thanks.

Archived