I have endometriosis: Looking for suggestions for food that's easy on the stomach

Hello! Warning: this is gonna be long! 

I have just recently (one month ago) been diagnosed with endometriosis but I suspect that I have had it for 15 years (that's when my symptoms started). I am 28 years old. The end is my main reason for doing the whole 30. I am on day 4 and really loving it so far, the food tastes amazing and I love cooking so that part has been very enjoyable. The issue is, I am currently on my period therefore my endo symptoms are in full force. One of my most annoying symptoms is that I get very severe stomach bloating (I truly look 6 months pregnant) and stomach pain, and it flares up the worst when I eat. I have been having these symptoms for about a year, so way before I started the whole 30. I have been following the meal plan in the whole 30 book for the first week pretty closely but here is exactly what I've eaten: 

- Day 1: (1) 2 scrambled eggs, half and avocado, 2 tablespoons salsa fried in liquid coconut oil (2)protein salad (tuna, grapes, almonds, homemade mayo) and spinach (3) ground chicken with italian seasoning tomato sauce and spaghetti squash.

- Day 2: (1) leftover spaghetti squash, tomato sauce, with a fried egg on top (fried in ghee) (2) Protein salas (as above) with spinach and a few pieces of orange bell pepper (3) seared chicken breast (in ghee), roasted potatoes and tomato (ghee), cabbage slaw, and roasted red pepper mayo.

- Day 3: Was in severe pain that day. Woke up at 6:00am drank water and took pain killers. Slept till 12:30. Ate left over roasted veggies and a small amount of chicken breast with a fried egg on top (ghee) . Ate a nectarine around 5. And then ate dry rub steak, sautéed beat greens with garlic and ghee, mashed sweet potatoes with caramelized onions. 

- Day 4(today): (1) left over mashed sweet potatoes, fried egg (coconut oil) and 1 cup cantaloupe. 

The bloating was awful after dinner on night 2, bad after dinner on night 3 but not as painful. I know cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, can cause bloating and cramping, and they do in me even when I'm not on my period, so I am going to avoid those. 

My question is: Does anyone else on here suffer from endometriosis? What would be some soothing meals for my stomach that can help get me though my periods?

Thanks in advance!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey there,

I know I'm responding late to this, but I suffer from endo too. I've had multiple surgeries and now take bio-identical progesterone in the last half of my cycles and it has made a world of difference.  Several women have a ton of relief from their symptoms when they switch to more of a paleo diet. Keep in mind that hormones take a while to balance out, as does inflammation, so you may not truly see results for a few months. So don't get discouraged! The Whole 30 is a great start to feeding your body nourishing foods.

With that  being said, endo is one of those things that is pretty unpredictable. For me, some months are better than others. I have always found that drinking a ton of water helps keep the bloat down and doing some form of exercise, such as walking or yoga, keeps things from getting too bad.  Anymore I usually suffer for about 24 hours with bad cramps and bloat.  I'm finishing up my second Whole 30, so I'm curious to see if that continues to help things too!

I wish you the best of luck with your pain and bloat!

Oh, and I'm no mod, but looking at your meals, they seem a bit on the light side.  For example, if you are cooking with eggs as your only protein, you usually cook with however many you can fit in your hand. Most women that means at least 3. I have tiny hands and even I cook 3.  If you find yourself low on energy or getting hungry between meals, make sure you re-visit the template and bulk your meals up some, especially while on your period! Nothing is worse than being crampy and hungry!

Archived