Tea Brands!

Agrimshaw

Hey everyone!

Tomorrow I'm moving onto day 2 of my first whole30. My meals for the week are composed of animal protein, fruits, veggies and water. Lots of water. However, I'm trying to see what other foods/beverages are out there.

what tea brands and "flavors" are compliant? I already have yogi teas but I'm seeing stevia in some of them. These roots and leaves can be tricky!

Best of luck to everyone! Appreciate the guidance 

It's really impossible to give someone a list of brands or flavors of anything since there can be (and are) regional variances in recipes and companies can (and do) change ingredients on a whim without telling anyone except the people who print their packaging. 

Basically, you'll have to read every label. You'll likely have an easier time finding "plain" teas without fruits or flavorings that are compliant. But anything with stevia is out; lots of fruit teas have candied fruit and that's out. I had a vanilla caramel tea with "natural flavorings" which is allowable, except that it also had soy. 

3 minutes ago, laura_juggles said:

It's really impossible to give someone a list of brands or flavors of anything since there can be (and are) regional variances in recipes and companies can (and do) change ingredients on a whim without telling anyone except the people who print their packaging. 

Basically, you'll have to read every label. You'll likely have an easier time finding "plain" teas without fruits or flavorings that are compliant. But anything with stevia is out; lots of fruit teas have candied fruit and that's out. I had a vanilla caramel tea with "natural flavorings" which is allowable, except that it also had soy. 

I had no idea they changed them so frequently! Such a bummer. Thanks for helping!

I just recently discovered that soy lecithin was in most teas that I have in the pantry.  However, there was one brand, Good Earth, that unless I'm reading the ingredients wrong, appears to be compliant.  They are:  rooibos, chicory root, natural flavor, rosehip, cinnamon, lemongrass, peppermint, chamomile, ginger root, anise seed, orange oil, orange peel.  I'm sure a moderator or other member can chime in and verify if the ingredients are in fact compliant.

• Moderators
Just now, CatholicDad said:

I just recently discovered that soy lecithin was in most teas that I have in the pantry.  However, there was one brand, Good Earth, that unless I'm reading the ingredients wrong, appears to be compliant.  They are:  rooibos, chicory root, natural flavor, rosehip, cinnamon, lemongrass, peppermint, chamomile, ginger root, anise seed, orange oil, orange peel.  I'm sure a moderator or other member can chime in and verify if the ingredients are in fact compliant.

Yep, good to go!

I too was surprised that Soy Lechtin was in tea.  What in the world is Soy Lechtin??? I use Good Earth mostly but I literally read the ingredients on all tea packets before I even think of having it.  I am on day 17 and drink mostly water, coconut water (which I didn't even know I liked), and Kombucha.  I also, drink a cup of coffee a day and it took me a week to find one that I could handle without creamer. The liquids was the hardest for me, because I do tire of just plan 'ol water!

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, Anita90 said:

I too was surprised that Soy Lechtin was in tea.  What in the world is Soy Lechtin??? I use Good Earth mostly but I literally read the ingredients on all tea packets before I even think of having it.  I am on day 17 and drink mostly water, coconut water (which I didn't even know I liked), and Kombucha.  I also, drink a cup of coffee a day and it took me a week to find one that I could handle without creamer. The liquids was the hardest for me, because I do tire of just plan 'ol water!

coconut water is not recommended for regular use due to the fact that it's basically light fruit juice and it is loaded DOWN with sugar... it's good for high endurance athletes, people working outside in the scorching sun, people who do something that causes a lot of sweat but not for general water replacement.

2 minutes ago, SugarcubeOD said:

coconut water is not recommended for regular use due to the fact that it's basically light fruit juice and it is loaded DOWN with sugar... it's good for high endurance athletes, people working outside in the scorching sun, people who do something that causes a lot of sweat but not for general water replacement.

Oh maybe I misspoke or am being misunderstood.. I don't drink it daily nor do I use it to replace water. I only have it on occasion when I just want something different than water to drink.  I drink 128 oz of water daily.  The only things I drink daily are water and my one cup of coffee, the coconut water and Kombucha are just when I just need a different taste. Does that make sense? 

• Moderators
14 minutes ago, Anita90 said:

Oh maybe I misspoke or am being misunderstood.. I don't drink it daily nor do I use it to replace water. I only have it on occasion when I just want something different than water to drink.  I drink 128 oz of water daily.  The only things I drink daily are water and my one cup of coffee, the coconut water and Kombucha are just when I just need a different taste. Does that make sense? 

Yep, that's totally fine :)  I think I misunderstood because it just listed water, coconut water and Kombucha... no harm no foul, you're doing great with water consumption it sounds like!

25 minutes ago, SugarcubeOD said:

Yep, that's totally fine :)  I think I misunderstood because it just listed water, coconut water and Kombucha... no harm no foul, you're doing great with water consumption it sounds like!

I definitely am floating everyday :) 

Archived