Brine Recipe?

roseann0461

• Moderators

I could just make one up for you.... 1 tablespoon of salt, 1 cup of apple juice, water sufficient to cover whatever you are brining. Add more salt for every 10 pounds over 5 pounds of bird you are brining. Soak for 4 hours. If you are brining overnight, reduce the salt a bit.

I like Melissa's brine from her Well Fed cookbook (and website). I had some chicken breasts in the freezer that needed cooking, and this saved them! I'm still trying to figure out how that boring meat got in my freezer in the first place. LOL

http://www.theclothesmakethegirl.com/2009/06/09/the-best-chicken-you-will-ever-eat-ever/

• 1 year later...

I could just make one up for you.... 1 tablespoon of salt, 1 cup of apple juice, water sufficient to cover whatever you are brining. Add more salt for every 10 pounds over 5 pounds of bird you are brining. Soak for 4 hours. If you are brining overnight, reduce the salt a bit.

Hey Tom,

Do you happen to have any recommendations for curing pastured hams.  Ours come fresh.  We have seven of them and will be getting more in about 10 days!  We've done a wet cure with apple juice, salt, and water, but I had the impression the apple juice may have toughened/cooked the meat.  I'd love any suggestions.

(A may consider adding a different sugar for non-W30 option, but would rather not have those ingredients around.)

Thanks,

Nico

• Moderators

I've never worked with ham, so I hesitate to make anything up. My first thought when you said that apple juice might have a negative effect was to wonder if coconut water would work as a source of sweetness. I might enjoy coconut flavor in ham, but it could be strange.

Coconut water may work.  I'm a girl who loves apples and pork, but I saw the effect on the liquid with the pork chops I brined last night and I do think I need to experiment with a different approach.  I often do pineapple as part of my cooking liquid, but I figure it would do more of that cooking than the apple.

Coconut and cherry may be good leads.  I'll report back every three weeks or so.

Also, if anyone has any other tips for cooking fresh hams (straight from the pasture), I'll take those.

Archived