Bit discouraged...

Desmonema

Alright... here I am in the middle of my second whole30. I finished the first one with no probs at all, but as I didn't feel like reaping all the benefits, I thought it might be great to just go on with it.

A bit about my history: Last year around this time I was at my total happy weight of about 56 to 57 kgs with about 20% bodyfat. I was exercising a lot, but feeling great, and without knowing I was eating kind of paleo-ish but very one-sided and pretty low-fat. Beginning of this year I slowly started to gain a bit of weight in-spite of an unchanged training regimen. Looked into nutrition a bit more and started to find out about paleo lifestyle and eating (Marks Daily Apple, Robb Wolff and so on). Started to eat paleo/primal and with more fat, less carbs. Still kept gaining though. Very slowly, but gaining. On top of that, I broke my foot in July and couldn't exercise in any way for more than six weeks. Cut down my daily intake as I was afraid of not even fitting into my most forgiving clothes anymore. Eating was very clean, no major slips, paleo everyday. Still, I came out of the cast and had gained 5 kgs, so at 5'4'' I was at 60.5 kgs with 25% then.

Now, I am in recovery, but have started exercising a while back already (everything I can do... walk to and from work, am allowed to use the elliptical, so do that 3x week, a spinning session now and then, some pilates, stretching, some resistance training if poss).

Despite all my efforts though and sticking to the whole30 program for so long now, I do not feel totally energized and my clothes are still sooo tight! I don't care about the scale, haven't weighed myself during this time, but the fit is still miserable and I can't wear my former favorite pieces!

Sleep-wise I am totally fine, most days 8 hours and wake up before my alarm.

Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong?

I have a food and exercise log on myfitnesspal to keep track of my nutrients & macros.

Here's the link:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/Desmonema

I would appreciate any hints towards my exercise regimen and food. I would just love to feel so energetic and happy in my body and see some positive change!

Thanks in advance!

Tbh, at your age, there are probably hormonal things that are impacting the rest of your stuff. The W30 will help, but it can't fix everything. Consulting with M&D or a local naturopath/doc to run some tests and check in on your hormone panel is probably a good start

I was thinking of hormones as well... I have been taking the pill for quite a long time by now and it NEVER EVER happened that I didn't get my period. After the first 30 days of whole30, I didn't get it and was totally shocked! So you may be right that something's going on with the hormones. I was only wondering so much about my situation, because end of last year I was loosing kinda easily, but on lower fat (which I do not support anymore now!).

• Moderators

When you don't eat enough, your body goes into conservation mode and burns less energy. When you eat enough, your body burns more energy and makes losing weight easier. I am afraid that what you have been doing with food is backfiring on you. Your myfitnesspal log suggests you are not eating enough. Now stop using myfitnesspal and stop counting calories. It makes you nuts, stresses you out, and does nothing to improve your health.

You seem to be doing a lot with supplements, but not enough with real, whole foods. I would say cut out nuts, increase eggs, meats, and all veggies. And don't be afraid of salt. Follow the Whole9 meal template - at least 3 meals per day with a serving of meat as big as the palm of your hand and filling the rest of your plate with veggies. Cook your veggies with a measure of fat as big as your thumb.

Thanks for the advice, Tom!!!

I'll try to eat more, but I already did and had a hard time doing so.... I cannot seem to eat bigger meals if I eat three square meals a day. Especially if I increase the protein content (tried that). Feeling so stuffed then! This is why I tried to get more fuel using nuts, olives and so on. Is an increase in cooking fat the solution then probably? And maybe having snacks? Question is then, what kind of snacks are best during whole30? Deer jerky? Eggs? Or Fruit?

On another note: I supplement quite a bit at the moment due to the bone healing, as I want to make sure I don't have any problems there. Salt I am probably taking in more than my food log says, don't really measure it. Most importantly I was looking at my carbs and trying to not have them too high (over 100).

Thanks for helping me tweak things!

• Moderators

I had not thought about your bone healing needs. Of course, I prefer bone broth to supplements, but that's me.

If you feel stuffed, I wonder if your food is digesting properly. You might want to try a digestive enzyme like Now Foods Super Enzymes to help you with breaking down the protein in a timely fashion.

You can get plenty of fat through eating whole eggs and choosing some fatty cuts of meat, but I am generous in my own cooking with coconut oil, ghee, and olive oil.

I'm not a big fan of snacking and would recommend adding one or more meals if you are eating all you can at the first three and are still feeling hungry. When I first began the Whole30, I ate 5 to 6 meals per day and took more than a year to work down to three meals per day.

If you are trying to lose weight, it is okay to eat carbs sparingly, as long as your energy levels are good. If you find yourself feeling sluggish, I would make sure to eat some sweet potato every day. I never eat half of anything, but you might be okay with half a sweet potato.

Great advice Tom!

I will manage half a sweet potato or some butternut squash a day easily I think and will try it without adding another meal first. I should be able to just be more generous with my cooking fats then. I will report back after two weeks or so! Thanks a lot!

Archived