Pants are tighter?!?

This used to happen to me when I was overtraining. The only way I'd get rid of the "puff" was when I'd run for miles and sweat out the water retention. The problem is, if you continue to pound your body into the ground, it will continue to react that way (among other things). No one can know for certain what exactly is going on, but I would suggest taking at least a few days to a week off to let your body try to balance; it needs times to repair - let it repair - the tight pants are most likely a direct result of this. Do you have any edema?

Sorry, I was trying to post from my phone again. I do have edema. Mostly in my feet and ankles. My hands are always puffy in the morning, along with my eyelids. In the summer, at the height of my training, I gained 9 lbs of fluid in about a week. My dr gave me a diuretic, which I took for a few days and then stopped. It's not that bad now, but seems to be getting worse on Whole30 instead of better. Thank you all for the advice and support. I really appreciate it!

To start, I recommend getting your electrolytes checked (visit to the doctor). Diuretics are dangerous – but you'll only get a handful of doctors to admit that, in my experience. They should be used as a last resort. Treating the problem is where they need to start, but most doctors are lost when it comes to this (for some reason).

Were you restricting before Whole30? If I'm getting too personal, no need to answer...

Restricting my food intake? I was eating a primal diet. No grains, but the sugar intake started creeping up on me. Hence the Whole30. And I did have my electrolytes checked in the summer time, and everything was "normal" but I honestly do think that "normal" by lab standards and normal for an individual are often two very different things. One thing that kind of worries me is that I am always thirsty and have a high volume of urine output. Maybe it is related to adrenal fatigue as someone else mentioned? I'm researching the idea of building an aerobic base with less intense exercise in order to have a proper aerobic base before attempting more anaerobic workouts. I can say with certainty that about 90% of my workouts are anaerobic for at least a good portion of the workout. Maybe that's what needs to change?

Yes, restricting food intake...hmmmm....sugar did that to me within minutes of consumption and I still get a reaction, to this day.

I attributed it to my adrenals, as well, but that didn't point me in any particular direction, personally. I was also always thirsty, got up 5-10 x a night to urinate, which is just now starting to subside, after 5 months of grain free and whole foods. Of the million things that I researched, one I didn't get to confirm was the cellular level of repair requiring fluids. You may want to look that up to see what that's about. What that told me, is that I was destroying my body – I was placing demands on it that it simply could not keep up with. The whole foods may contribute to the repair process (again, assuming this is what's going on here).

A quick history to support my posts: I had to pluck myself out of anorexia athletica, which is why I asked about restricting. I had identical symptoms (and maybe more?), but ultimately had to flush my system to make the edema and water retention subside. I was addicted to zero cal, fake food and fake sugar. It took a long time and I had to significantly scale back on planned exercise. I attempted to shift to anaerobic during what they call a "refeeding" and would swell within an hour of the routine. I have no explanation other than my body was clearly asking me to mellow out, relax and allow it to catch up and heal. So, finally I am without edema, no water retention, no chronic muscle soreness, etc. I had to start over as if I had never trained before. It was difficult, but worth it.

Of course, I'm not saying you're in that situation, but because the body is so complex and unique, the absolute best, yet simple advice is to listen to your body and intuition. That's a giant challenge, but it's the only way you'll balance. Also, as you well know, it's the rest period where your body yields the results you're looking for – it's a win-win.

If I recall anything else – I'll let you know.

Thanks so much. I was not really restricting withe zero cal sweeteners, etc., but I know my caloric intake was not matching my output. On days when I would run 20 milers, I would only eat about 1600-1900 calories, which wasn't even close to the 2300+ calories I was burning. I really appreciate what you said about listening to your body, and I am happy that the Whole30 has brought me to this point, because otherwise, I may have never really given it a second thought. I never thought I would say that it was good thing my pants have been getting tighter, but maybe it was a wake up call that I needed? It's so hard because the attitude we all have is that more is better, including exercise. My friends always say they admire how committed I am to exercising. The owner of my gym encourages people to workout for 3, 4, even 5 hours per day, which I have realized over the past few months is just absurd. The more research I do, the more I learn that less is more. And thanks for the info. about cellular repair. I will look into that as well.

No problem at all. So, yes, you were definitely under consuming and you probably know that your body may have started utilizing muscle for energy, if not supplied through anticipated means. A whole cascade of imbalances occurs with the combination of undernourishment, inadequate energy input and excess physical exertion. Luckily, puffing up like the Pillsbury doughboy gives us a visual warning, since we can't see our organs (heart/kidneys/liver/stomach) and brain. That's why the best things we can do for is kick our ego out of the story (sorry; I can't think of any other reason we do this) and focus on the messages from our body. Don't second guess it - just do what you KNOW is right. Many of us turn a blind eye in hopes that we can override the crucial mechanism of our system. It's nuts how we take this for granted, until something goes wrong. So, I guess what I'm hoping you did is lay off expecting your body to keep up with unhealthy expectations sooner than later. It really did take me almost a year to get back to normal - and the slightest attempt at my old behavior and my body would send signals 100-fold; it became impossible to try to fight it.

The owner of the gym has to encourage you to need his product – and the more the better! :huh: Unfortunately, he's not looking out for anyone else; pretty typical in most cases. It sounds like he may have the same “issue†– either that or $$ is driving his advice, because it sounds like awful advice to me (sorry gym-owner). I used to get comments about how I was so disciplined with food….yeah; you mean I'm good at starving myself? Thanks, I guess. Although I should have returned the compliment by telling them I admire how well they listen to their body! Pay attention to your wakeup calls – you may be at risk for more. :unsure: Trying to lighten up the message with emoticons!

• Moderators

You can get great results from a few, brief, intense workouts per week. I followed the 3 month program in Geoff Neupert's Kettlebell Muscle program and learned that you really can get very strong and fit with 3 short workouts per week. Before I tried Geoff's program, I was training for 90 minutes 4 or 5 times per week. I spent more time warming up for his workouts than I did completing them. The workouts were limited to 3 per week - Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. They started at 3 or 4 sets and never rose above 6 sets per workout - double kettlebell swings, double kettlebell snatches, cleans, presses, double kettlebell squats with very brief rest periods between sets. The actual work periods totaled between 5 and 12 minutes. The program asks you to avoid all other training - no running, lifting, calisthenics, etc. I cheated by doing 10 pullups after each kettlebell session because I was afraid of losing my pullup strength. I got meaningfully stronger over the 3 month period and was able to do hill sprints at about the same level I could before. I was shocked that so little work allowed me to make meaningful progress.

The experience changed how I approach training. I now consider 30 minutes an appropriate length of time for me to warmup and complete whatever training I am going to do. And I am not interested in training with weights more than 3 times per week. I sometimes do yoga 7 days per week, but my yoga practice is typically gentle.

I think you have to train more to rank in competitions, but I am afraid that training more reduces your health.

You asked about CrossFit. I got injured repeatedly when I did CrossFit. Making a competition out of training is exciting, fun, motivating, etc., but competitions should be limited to a few times per year, not something you do 3 to 5 times per week. The concept of a workout of the day for everybody is cool, but 20 year old women and 55 year old men have different strengths and weakness that "scaling" workouts does not address. I still visit my old CrossFit gym to use the barbells for deadlifts and squats and to see some of my old friends, but I've had it with the WODs.

Heather, thank you, thank you, thank you! Seems we have a lot in common!

Tom, thanks so much for your post. I will most definitely look into the kettlebell workouts. Sounds right up my alley; I love kettlebells!

I got some mint leaves and my Sassy Water is sitting in the fridge for tomorrow. So long, Smartwater! Besides, after a little research, I discovered that Glaceau (the company that makes Smartwater) is owned by Coca Cola. Coca Cola helped to defeat Prop 37 in CA, so I'd actually rather not give them any money anyway!

You said you gave yourself an extra rest day, which means you went from working out 6 days a week to working out 5 days a week? THAT IS STILL TOO MUCH!

You have kids, you work 9-10 hours, you don't sleep well...STOP WORKING OUT! Honestly, sleep needs to be a priority over exercise. Crossfit at that level of frequency is going to make your problem worse,

Work out no more than 2x/day, the time that you WOULD be going to the gym, go to a relaxing (read: not intense competitive soccer mom) yoga instead, or lock yourself in a room and do some meditation/relaxation stuff. Spend an hour reading a book, stretching/mobilizing. ANYTHING that isn't working out.

EDIT: Sorry, I was typing quickly and forgot that I didn't mention where I was coming with the alternatives. I totally understand that "gym time" is an escape for a lot of people, an hour or two of "me time." That stuff is IMPORTANT and we don't want you to get rid of your alone time. We just want you to stop working out as much, so that's why I suggested replacing it with something relaxing ;)

Oooh, could also take a bubble bath!

Thanks so much, everyone. I really appreciate all of the support! I think I'm going to try this:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/press/the-primal-blueprint-diagrams/#axzz2CgUXjnFt

I trust Mark Sisson, and I think the results speak for themselves, because he looks fantastic for his age. Anyone every try his PB Fitness program? I hope the link worked! Scroll down for the fitness pyramid.

Thanks so much, everyone. I really appreciate all of the support! I think I'm going to try this:

http://www.marksdail.../#axzz2CgUXjnFt

I trust Mark Sisson, and I think the results speak for themselves, because he looks fantastic for his age. Anyone every try his PB Fitness program? I hope the link worked! Scroll down for the fitness pyramid.

That's where I started, which brought me to this website!

I love sassy water! The sock-dock.com website has some great articles about adrenal fatigue and electrolyte balance and why you drink lots and pee lots but stay thirsty.. I asked sock doc how long it would take to restore and he said depends but could be months before the body fully recovers. I'm okay with that as it also takes months to build an aerobic base when you never really had one and that is what I am prepared to do! ( I have been running anaerobically for three years! )That said, I have noticed a big improvement in only two months of restricting high heart rate running. I still do some interval stuff in short bursts?

On another note, since starting whole30 (day12 now) I am so much more relaxed about exercise. I still try for something everyday, but now I let a yoga or Pilates class or a walk count rather than feeling like I have to do another session on those days. I do my two favorite classes, and if I feel like it a couple of new classes each week plus a couple of runs when I feel like it. I often prioritise sleep now over getting up early to fit in an extra so-so class. And you know why I think I can do this now?

1. I am happier and healthier and not so desperate for exercise "me" time.

2. I am losing lots of weight anyway and showing much more muscle definition so no need to kill myself in the gym or compensate for unhealthy food or too much food I may have eaten

3. I am listening to my body and it says it is tired and needs more rest while it learns to burn fat efficiently!

Keep up the great work listening to your body and looking for changes that will make you healthier, not just fitter

It is so inspiring to hear everyone else's stories! My latest development: itchy flakey scalp and rashy face... Not sure if it's diet related or maybe just a side effect of the cold weather setting in? I just don't want to be eating something that's causing it. Any thoughts?

For me, dairy, sugar and cold weather do undesirable things to my skin. Have you tried using coconut oil as a moisturizer? I started about a month ago and love it - and I have really sensitive skin.

For me, dairy, sugar and cold weather do undesirable things to my skin. Have you tried using coconut oil as a moisturizer? I started about a month ago and love it - and I have really sensitive skin.

Yes, I have used coconut oil, but I am still avoiding it, so I tried olive oil last night, and it seemed to help quite a bit! I'm hoping it's just the weather! :)

I'm happy to report that my pants are finally feeling looser! Pants that I could barely button last week are now fitting comfortably. I'm thrilled!

Ahhhhhh that's GREAT news! That means your body is balancing - phew! Now don't go running a million miles and lifting weights for hours - your body loves you right now ;)

I can not drink Smartwater or Dasini as it uses CORN for the vitamins, at least that is what my research lead me to believe. I have a major corn allergy and do not eat or drink anything with added vitamins/minerals - only get mine the way nature intended. Saw you already gave it up, glad you are feeling better!

Archived