September 18 start date

Tj V

@Mike5858 Oh not at all! This is a personal science experiment for each and every one of us. We are all the same and different, as well. I have no cravings for cookies or cake, like others. This process is about discipline and behavior modification. It's not like I was spraying my throat for a sugar rush :) As a science-minded person though, I understand the importance of total abstaining from certain chemicals through the 30 days to truly reset physiology. But that is only part of the experiment. Why do we eat food? It is a mental shift as it truly is for energy. Thanks for the support, but no way I'm gonna let that spray get in my way!

• Replies 693
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@GavinD Awesome attitude and I agree with Mike5858.  It's no big deal.  Have you tried gargling with warm salt water?  Check out this link.  

http://healthprep.com/conditions/6-home-remedies-for-a-sore-throat/?utm_source=bing-search&utm_medium=referral&utm_term=soothe sore throat naturally&utm_content={creative}&utm_campaign=(HP-DTM-US-DSP-RT)-6-Home-Remedies-For-A-Sore-Throat

I'm sure there are some non-compliant remedies listed there, but the salt water thing works well.

Keep up the good work!

8 hours ago, Tj V said:

@_AJP_ and @Mike5858, I also have a recipe that's similar. I use a couple sweet potatoes (not the ones they try to pass off as sweet potatoes, but which are really yams! Hint: Orange flesh=yams...used to work in produce!) Anyway, I cut them in cubes, put them in a ziploc, sprinkle in some cayenne (to taste and a little goes a long way) and then Garam Masala. It's an Indian spice and it's super yummy. It has multiple spices in it such as cinnamon, cloves, cardamom, black pepper and several others. It's so good! Bake at 400 until they start to turn golden on the edges. I find if I cook them too long, they don't hold up as well. 
Also my sister found a recipe on Pinterest for Pumpkin/Apple breakfast bake and we tried it today. It has no flour or sugar. Pretty tasty as a side for brekkie. 
http://www.wholesomelicious.com/pumpkin-apple-breakfast-bake-paleo-whole30/

@Tj V thank you for all your posts!! I read it while in line to report to jury duty today (got off really fast and at the end of my work day went out to buy the coconut milk and ingredients I didn't have so I can make this as a treat this week or next when it gets tough!! )

What kind of coconut milk did you use? It says get full fat so what I found was "a taste of Thai" coconut milk from Giant  

thats great about your inspiration from your pastor and Thanks for sharing the chris beat cancer website. !! 

I have lots of good recipes I've been trying and plan to make this week too- happy to do a post if anyone needs ideas and variety. 

Also we were super excited to find a list of compliant restaurants in dc. If anyone else is in the mid Atlantic or east coast, Cava Mezze has some compliant options  we ate there on Sunday night as a break from all this cooking and it was so good! 

-

Hi all! 

Im so grateful to you all for sharing your stories - id love to join along if possible?

I posted a message in my log earlier to say I was starting today (basically just a morning commitment that I was going to do this as my inner voice was already making excuses!) and a moderator suggesting checking this out - so glad to see so many people starting today.

I tried whole30 once before and got to day 20 - it was bad timing as it was during the holidays so that really affected my ability to finish it through. I'm starting a little earlier this year and am really nervous - especially as I feel I failed last time.

Like many of you here, I have had some lingering health issues that I'm hoping to clear. But, my main problem is emotional eating where candy and chips is my bae!!! I could be doing ok with food, but then I get upset or worried or stressed and turn for Hershey's or Cadburys. While I know this, I still find it tough to change and that's why I feel committing to this group for 30 days will really help.

I work long days and I know how important prep will be. I'm leaving work early now to stop by the store and load up on healthy veg, meat and some snacks.

My inner voice is already trying to convince me to start next week - I haven't prepped yet and it's been a while since I've read all the rules and the book. I've often started a whole30 and feel so bad in the first few days that I quit too easily - with my long work days, I find it hard to get through work while feeling so bad!! 

Sorry for the long post, but I'm hoping that my sharing my story and committing again, that I'll get through DayOne and set up for success!

Sinead 

No big deal, SineadMon.  I have been doing okay as well, I worked all weekend so that keeps me busy.  Home today, and I'm realizing that one of my big problems is that I graze all day.  Handful of nuts here, deviled egg there...  I'm committing to stick to the three meals a day only.  I've been reading a lot of recipes, but when I cook I just throw things together.  That is how I cook anyway.  I've been very happy with the variety of things we can eat, so I've made an Italian chicken in the Instant Pot last night, roasted a turkey one night (found it when I cleaned out freezer) and then made turkey salad with celery, onions and Primal Kitchen mayo.  Tonight is grilled salmon and some sauteed Brussels sprouts.  I'm enjoying the challenge of the cooking.  I've had some "digestive issues" also, but those seem to be getting better this afternoon.  Sleeping already so much better, and I thought I would be an insomniac my whole life.  The one thing I've missed is a glass of wine while cooking dinner.  Cooking relaxes me at the end of the day, and I'm used to watching the news and cooking dinner with a glass.  I've found a fruit flavored sparkling water at Costco, pretty much just like La Croix, and I have been putting one or the other in a wine glass with a slice of lime, and that is satisfying.  I've almost decided it is the glass, the sipping and the ritual that soothes me, more than the wine.  It actually gives me heartburn and messes up my sleep!  So, looking forward to week 2, although I'm thinking it may be hard.  I want Tiger Blood!

1 hour ago, CorgiLover said:

No big deal, SineadMon.  I have been doing okay as well, I worked all weekend so that keeps me busy.  Home today, and I'm realizing that one of my big problems is that I graze all day.  Handful of nuts here, deviled egg there...  I'm committing to stick to the three meals a day only.  I've been reading a lot of recipes, but when I cook I just throw things together.  That is how I cook anyway.  I've been very happy with the variety of things we can eat, so I've made an Italian chicken in the Instant Pot last night, roasted a turkey one night (found it when I cleaned out freezer) and then made turkey salad with celery, onions and Primal Kitchen mayo.  Tonight is grilled salmon and some sauteed Brussels sprouts.  I'm enjoying the challenge of the cooking.  I've had some "digestive issues" also, but those seem to be getting better this afternoon.  Sleeping already so much better, and I thought I would be an insomniac my whole life.  The one thing I've missed is a glass of wine while cooking dinner.  Cooking relaxes me at the end of the day, and I'm used to watching the news and cooking dinner with a glass.  I've found a fruit flavored sparkling water at Costco, pretty much just like La Croix, and I have been putting one or the other in a wine glass with a slice of lime, and that is satisfying.  I've almost decided it is the glass, the sipping and the ritual that soothes me, more than the wine.  It actually gives me heartburn and messes up my sleep!  So, looking forward to week 2, although I'm thinking it may be hard.  I want Tiger Blood!

1 hour ago, CorgiLover said:

@CorgiLover la croix is compliant right?? I've been drinking it everyday bc I thought it was! Couldn't tell by your mentioning of it. Thanks!

Big wins today! 

Ate conpliantly and really enjoyed my food and although i will say after work I felt thirsty I still worked out and had so much more energy than Saturday running. I actually ran almost 3.5 miles and felt faster and my left knee didn't hurt at all, not even up hill. One thing I have also noticed so far if we are being real... I have had No has at all. I used to be quite gassy before whole 30. 

Good luck tomorrow everyone and tonight! Hot tea and going to bed definitely helps curb those late night sweet cravings 

Hello all! I started round 2 on 9/17/17. This has been a rough one for me. First time was in May and it went well. For me round 1 was a Whole 27 by choice. But I felt so awesome that all summer I ate mostly compliant. 

The month before I started this one was not a good eating month. There are certain things I don’t compromise on...gluten and dairy. But I was eating rice and corn and drinking wine and other libations. As I mentioned, this round has been HARD!! Lots of cravings, tired beyond words and headaches more days than not. In fact today my head hurt so bad it brought me to tears! 

I’ve been eating enough and well. However I have been drinking La Croix everyday. Could that be the headache culprit? Anyway...I hope you don’t mind me tagging onto you for support to get me through the next 3 weeks. 

:)

9 minutes ago, Amb_Bomer said:

Hello all! I started round 2 on 9/17/17. This has been a rough one for me. First time was in May and it went well. For me round 1 was a Whole 27 by choice. But I felt so awesome that all summer I ate mostly compliant. 

The month before I started this one was not a good eating month. There are certain things I don’t compromise on...gluten and dairy. But I was eating rice and corn and drinking wine and other libations. As I mentioned, this round has been HARD!! Lots of cravings, tired beyond words and headaches more days than not. In fact today my head hurt so bad it brought me to tears! 

I’ve been eating enough and well. However I have been drinking La Croix everyday. Could that be the headache culprit? Anyway...I hope you don’t mind me tagging onto you for support to get me through the next 3 weeks. 

:)

You're more than welcome! I bought some La Croix too, but haven't tried it yet. I've had a headache since Day 1, some big, some small. I almost don't notice the small ones now, but I'm praying they all go away completely. Have had some digestive issues and my sinus' are whacky, so it's been no cake walk. 

Had a big win today..thought I had the big 3...bloating/gained weight, kill all the things and eat all the things! I was at the store looking for some fruit and wanted everything, but most especially a Venti Iced Mocha! I wanted to say screw it! I'm done. I want that coffee! But I found an Rx Bar and ate it and I felt much better. I was able to avoid all the other temptations and not kill anyone! 
I did overeat at dinner though and now my stomach feels full and hard. I hate when I do that! Gotta get better with that. 
Have a great night everyone and welcome to the new members!

1 hour ago, Tj V said:

Had a big win today..thought I had the big 3...bloating/gained weight, kill all the things and eat all the things! I was at the store looking for some fruit and wanted everything, but most especially a Venti Iced Mocha! I wanted to say screw it! I'm done. I want that coffee! But I found an Rx Bar and ate it and I felt much better. I was able to avoid all the other temptations and not kill anyone! 
I did overeat at dinner though and now my stomach feels full and hard. I hate when I do that! Gotta get better with that. 
Have a great night everyone and welcome to the new members!

Good job for saying no to the coffee drink, @Tj V! I used to get huge cravings for Carmel light frappacinos. You've been a huge support to everyone in this group so hang in there!!!. It will get better for you and you can do it 30 days. 

Just as a note to clarify, I didn't feel "great and energetic" immediately after work. I was full quickly from my lunch at 1230pm and then by 4 or 5pm I was really starting to get hungry and thirsty but I knew I had it in me to work out I just needed to suit up and do it. I had the pre- work out protein and fat, and got to it. Started off foggy but then my energy and blood got flowing and bam, that haze was gone. So if anyone else feels that way and still isn't working out yet, (as I barely did last week) maybe just give it a try. Might eliminate the headache/low energy. Just a thought. I know we are all on different courses so to speak but wanted to share 

@Lauraloveskale great job powering through! Yes, I have felt a bit weaker but exercise is essential. Even if it means you need to dial it down a couple notches. 

Not like I was exercising before I started the 30 LOL, but I am now. Mostly just the exercise bike and dynamic resistance yoga, but it is a start. I had a long list of lifestyle changes I wanted to tackle during the whole 30. 

Stay strong!

8 hours ago, Lauraloveskale said:

Good job for saying no to the coffee drink, @Tj V! I used to get huge cravings for Carmel light frappacinos. You've been a huge support to everyone in this group so hang in there!!!. It will get better for you and you can do it 30 days. 

Just as a note to clarify, I didn't feel "great and energetic" immediately after work. I was full quickly from my lunch at 1230pm and then by 4 or 5pm I was really starting to get hungry and thirsty but I knew I had it in me to work out I just needed to suit up and do it. I had the pre- work out protein and fat, and got to it. Started off foggy but then my energy and blood got flowing and bam, that haze was gone. So if anyone else feels that way and still isn't working out yet, (as I barely did last week) maybe just give it a try. Might eliminate the headache/low energy. Just a thought. I know we are all on different courses so to speak but wanted to share 

Thanks @Lauraloveskale! I appreciate it and your support. You know I was just thinking this morning that I need to start working out. I've been a couch potato for so long that I have to go slow. Found Tai Chi, via DVD and I like it. I have chronic back problems, so I'm hoping this will help and will also help with balance which actually does get wonky when you don't exercise! So, thanks for the inspiration confirmation on exercising!

Happy Day 9 everyone!  It's interesting to see folks talking about working out.  That was my plan for this week, to add a light workout of some kind to my new eating style. It's been awhile since I've worked out, so I'm walking this week.  Yesterday I did a three mile, fairly brisk walk.  Lots of hills on the route I was on, and it was 91 degrees out, so I worked up a good sweat.  I'm shooting for 3.5 miles today, and want to get to 5 by Sunday and keep that up.  I'll add a basic weight training curcuit next week or the week after.  I really want to drastically improve my health.  I was an athlete in my early years, and then spent 8 years in the US Army, where I was in terrific shape.  Since then, it's been a roller coaster of working out for 4-6 months, followed by doing nothing for 1-2 years, rinse/repeat.  Time to change all that for good.  My goal is not to become the first over 55 male underwear model (you can all thank me for that later :lol:), but I do want to lead an active life as I prepare for and eventually retire in a few years.  I need to eat better and get moving.  It's actually very simple when you think about it.

Have a great day 9 everyone!

Mike

25 minutes ago, Mike5858 said:

Happy Day 9 everyone!  It's interesting to see folks talking about working out.  That was my plan for this week, to add a light workout of some kind to my new eating style. It's been awhile since I've worked out, so I'm walking this week.  Yesterday I did a three mile, fairly brisk walk.  Lots of hills on the route I was on, and it was 91 degrees out, so I worked up a good sweat.  I'm shooting for 3.5 miles today, and want to get to 5 by Sunday and keep that up.  I'll add a basic weight training curcuit next week or the week after.  I really want to drastically improve my health.  I was an athlete in my early years, and then spent 8 years in the US Army, where I was in terrific shape.  Since then, it's been a roller coaster of working out for 4-6 months, followed by doing nothing for 1-2 years, rinse/repeat.  Time to change all that for good.  My goal is not to become the first over 55 male underwear model (you can all thank me for that later :lol:), but I do want to lead an active life as I prepare for and eventually retire in a few years.  I need to eat better and get moving.  It's actually very simple when you think about it.

Have a great day 9 everyone!

Mike

Good plan, @Mike5858!! Keep up the good work!

Archived