kirbz

Kira's Whole30 Log

@TEwhole30 Thank you for the feedback! I''ll definitely look into pairing the hummus with some Paleo crackers or bread in the future. I'm not quite ready to reintroduce those things yet, so I'll wait a bit, but that's a great idea! I did reintroduce hummus last night and I simply dipped my shawarma in it. It was wonderful and I didn't have any ill side effects. 

Also, note that I'm a complete hummus snob and only buy it from family-owned, hole-in-the-wall, Middle Eastern restaurants (preferably Lebanese). I don't buy any of that store bought garbage. So my hummus is pure and delicious! If you haven't tried Middle Eastern hummus, you are most definitely missing out! :-) 

Hi @kirbz I hope all is going well! I'm curious about your watch! I'm on the fence about getting one but I really want to know my distance traveled daily; not just steps since that's so inaccurate, especially with it strapped to your wrist. I noticed when you log your data that you only log steps and not miles. Do you find it to be fairly accurate? I work with someone that said she "walked"  a couple of thousand steps when she was sitting on her sofa watching football, drinking soda and snacking. Since you wear yours all the time, when/how often do you have to charge it? Right now, unless I have my phone on my person (which I rarely do at home) I just get partial information and I'm starting to want more data but (since I am sort of in the data business) bad data is worse than no data so I'm torn.

ROUND 2 REINTRODUCTION Day 5: Thursday, January 10

Foods Reintroduced Today: legumes (peanut butter) + sugar 

How I Felt: I ate several large spoonfuls of Skippy Naturals Extra Crunchy Peanut butter in the morning and several again in the afternoon. Unfortunately, the peanut butter also had some sugar. I didn't feel any discomfort or an negative side effects except that a new pimple appeared on my forehead. Considering I made it through my period and a some significant stress with out any at all, I think it's likely due to the hummus or peanut butter. I also had a hard time controlling how much I ate. I ate way more than I intended to eat (probably a half cup throughout the day). 

Thoughts/Reflections: 

I'm happy I'm doing the structured reintroductions, but my findings so far are about what I expect. I don't think I'm particularly sensitive to food. I think it's more of a cumulative effect that causes me to feel significantly different. However, I'll push forward with grains and non-gluten bread on Sunday! 

@hollysmokes Hmm... that's a good question. As I mentioned, I have the Garmin Fenix 5s, which is a pretty expensive watch. I use it for two things: 

Mostly, I have it to track my workouts. I have the separate heart rate monitor and I really like to have accurate data of my outdoor activities in order to track and gauge my overall fitness. I also I like it because I can track pretty much everything I do, including hiking, snowshoeing, paddleboarding, trail running, biking and even swimming with a ton of different data points. 

Secondarily, I use it to track my day-to-day activity. I like this because I work in an office and it's just too easy to let the whole day go by with hardly any movement. So I like the watch to help me make sure I move throughout the day. But, frankly, I don't care about the accuracy of that data as much. The app does give me an overall mileage for the day but I have no sense of whether it is accurate. 

So yeah, the data is great when you're in activity mode, you're using the GPS, and you have the external heart rate monitor. I'm not sure on the other data, but I don't care about that as much. 

I charge the battery a couple of times week. If I'm not doing anything in activity mode with GPS, it'll last about a week. And the most common times I find that it inaccurately counts step is when I'm chopping vegetables (because I wear my watch on my dominant hand, unlike most people) and when we're driving on bumpy, dirt roads. 

That was long but I hope it helps. I absolutely love the watch (bonus that it's actually a very beautiful watch), but it sounds like I use it for a bit of a different purpose. Let me know if you have any other questions! 

Does chopping vegetables count as an "activity"? ^_^That helps a lot; thanks. It sounds like the app converts the number of steps into miles? What about when you're backpacking? I assume you just don't use it in GPS mode so it keeps a charge? There are so many options that I don't know how I'll ever decide! 

Yeah, I think it does some sort of conversion from steps to miles. As I said, I'm not sure how that works and for me, I don't really care. Perhaps some Googling will help! 

I use the watch in GPS mode and with an external Garmin heart rate monitor for almost all of my outdoor activities, including backpacking. I take a small, portable charging stick when we do three days or longer in the backcountry and that gives me what I need to keep the thing charged throughout the trip (of course I only keep it in GPS mode when we're actually hiking, not when we're setting up and milling about camp).  

Honestly, Garmin has a lot of more moderately priced products that do almost the same thing. I LOVE Garmin and would recommend one to anyone, but perhaps you don't need something like the Fenix series. I've previously trained for a triathlon and want to do so again, so I have this one because I can record water activities and even heart rate when I swim. But most people wouldn't need that and you can save a lot of money if you give up on that feature alone. 

ROUND 2 REINTRODUCTION Day 6: Friday, January 11

Foods Reintroduced Today: none

How I Felt: I found another pimple on my forehead. So, either the garbanzo beans, peanut butter, or sugar in the peanut butter makes me break out. That's a bummer! I mean, it isn't severe, but I loved the clear skin I had...

Sunday should reveal more as I reintroduce non-gluten breads and white rice (and maybe quinoa). For now, I'm back to Whole30 and even three meals a day! And you know what, it isn't even that hard. 

ROUND 2 REINTRODUCTION Day 7-8: Saturday, January 12 to Sunday, January 13 

I did not end up reintroducing non-gluten grains over the weekend. Honestly, I just didn't feel like it. I preferred to eat Whole30. It feels pretty comfortable for me and I wanted the benefits of eating that way. I didn't want to deal with any more unpleasant side effects (even though it was only a couple of pimples). I also didn't want to mess with my cravings anymore, because I noticed a pretty significant increase in sugar cravings after that darned peanut butter! So, I ate Whole30 and it was delicious and satisfying and I felt good. 

In fact, I'm questioning the whole reintroduction thing as I don't think it will inform anything. I'm gonna eat what I eat, when I feel like it. I still need to read Food Freedom Forever but, for special occasions and an occasional splurge, I'm gonna eat a Red Robin burger no matter how it makes me feel. And I'm really starting to feel confident that Paleo is the right long-term choice for me, so why bother? I'd rather introduce Paleo desserts! But I have a ways to go before I think I can do that without going out of control! 

But, I'll probably carry on. I just need to plan the reintroductions better. Who knew that would be a problem!? LOL. I just don't have the right ingredients around and I don't know what to prepare to reintroduce the foods! 

Okay, I'm planning to reintroduce non-gluten grains today! I'm starting off with some unsweetened instant oatmeal this morning, which has oats, amaranth, and quinoa in it. Not ideal to reintroduce all three at once, but my options for instant oatmeal packets that I can eat at my desk that are gluten-free and sugar-free are limited! I will then have some shawarma with rice from my favorite Middle Eastern restaurant for both lunch and dinner. I may also try to get some corn in there somewhere, because I do like corn! 

More information to come! I honestly don't really feel like eating this stuff but I need the learning! I have a work conference next week with all food provided, so I want this finished before then. 

ROUND 2 REINTRODUCTION Day 10: Tuesday, January 15

Foods Reintroduced Today: gluten-free oats + quinoa + amaranth; yellow rice 

How I Felt: I ate a bowl of gluten-free instant oatmeal with blueberries for breakfast. It was unsweetened, but contained oats, quinoa, and amaranth. I immediately felt terrible. I had a stomach ache that did not feel better for a few hours. I wasn't on the verge of throwing up or not being able to work, but it was uncomfortable. Oatmeal definitely isn't worth it. 

I then had yellow rice with shawarma and baba ganoush for lunch and then leftovers for dinner. I didn't feel anything negative after eating this, so that's good news. Rice, on occasion, would be nice for my future. It's so simple and hearty. 

I wish I had introduced corn but I didn't have the opportunity. I'll try that some other time. 

Thoughts/Reflections: 

I'm wondering if my results are unusual. I was surprised at my pretty definitive response to the oats/quinoa/amaranth. I honestly didn't think I was that sensitive to food and didn't think I would have such a dramatic response to any of my reintroductions. Mind you, dramatic for me is probably pretty mild for others, but still. And is it weird to have such a reaction to oats, but not to rice? 

I just got the menu for my three-day work event in DC next week. It doesn't look great. There's quite literally nothing at all I could eat for two of the meals so I'll have to figure those out. And every other meal will most definitely have suspect items (e.g., bacon, sausage, sauces, dressings, buffet-style scrambled eggs, etc.). I'm not going to ask about the ingredients in these items as it seems the willingness to accommodate my dietary needs is minimal, so that sucks. I hope all this hard work and feeling and looking great doesn't go to waste. Guh. It's one thing to go off-plan for something worthwhile. It sucks to go off-plan for garbage catered buffet-style food. But, at the same time, it's just not realistic to provide food for myself for that many  meals. We literally have events from 8:00 am to 9:00 or 10:00 pm. When would I even find food? And I'm most definitely not eating tuna packs and meat sticks for three days. Hopefully it won't be as bad as I'm thinking it will be! 

Guh, it's Girl Scout Cookie season. And suddenly I find myself wondering what I learned from all of this. Because I just ordered six boxes of Caramel Delites and just can't find a reason why I shouldn't be able to eat an entire box as a reward to myself for being oh-so good during the last month and a half.... 

Yikes, I really need to read Food Freedom Forever and come up with a better strategy to deal with these Girl Scout Cookies!