Day 17 and still feeling very tired

Hi, 

I'm in day 17 of the whole 30 and I am still feeling very tired. Feel like I can nap at any time. Also had tummy problems since Day 10. Is this normal? I'm eating higher quantities of meat, veggies, fats, nuts and smaller portions of fruit. I'm eating enough, haven't been hungry. I've really felt the difference of the whole30 while exercising & sleeping, but not in other times of the day. 

I do not have any medical condition, always been healthy and my energy has been normal. What can I do about this? Because I don't want to be sleepy at work for the next 13 days left.

Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Sorry you are not yet feeling the good energy. It will come!

Please post your meals and amounts (including how much water you're drinking) if you'd like us to have a better chance at spotting any potential issues. Are you going at least 4 hours between meals before you feel hungry again?

Nuts are known to cause tummy issues in many people, so I'd start with cutting them out to see if that resolves the problem.

Sure, my typical day goes like this:

Wake up: Warm water with Lemon + Probiotics, and Green Tea. Exercise for 1 hour (fast walking, spinning or weight training).

Breakfast 8 am 2 eggs with spinach and cashews. Snack: 12 pm Coconut meat + 1 fruit + 5 Brazil Nuts. Lunch 3 pm Salad with Lettuce, Salmon or Tuna, Avocado, Tomato, Cucumber, Peppers with Olive Oil and little Balsamic Vinegar.  Dinner 8 pm Snapper with Roasted Cauliflower and cashews + Broccoli + Roasted Beet & Sweet Potato. (Where I currently live meal times are different than in the US. E.g. Lunch is at 3 pm)

I drink 2 Liters of water per day on average. 

Thanks so much!

Your breakfast is tiny.  Especially if your breakfast is post-workout as well.  Eggs if they are your only protein should be as many as you can hold in your hand.  (At least 3).  If you don't want more eggs, add a few bites of some other protein.  You'd need to eat a huge pile of spinach to get a good amount in, and you might want some starchy carbs in there as well.

You're also eating a lot of nuts, which can be problematic for some people.  They are recommend about a closed handful every other day.

I'd recommend adding a few bites of protein and sweet potato right after your workout (even before breakfast), then trying to up your breakfast quantity and throw a few more veggies in there.  Try other fats besides nuts.

For me personally, if I don't get in a good enough breakfast, I struggle the entire day to catch up.

• Moderators

Your lunch and dinner choices look good. Since you are active, you may get better results from including a high-carb veggie in your salads.

It's important that you eat a pre-Workout mini-meal of protein and/or fat. Check the Meal Template, linked below. Especially important since you are not otherwise eating breakfast within an hour of waking, which we recommend. If nothing else have a few bites of chicken or another protein before your workout.

Eat a post-Workout meal if your workout was fairly strenuous (weights, spinning). Then, have breakfast an hour later or so.

Instead of the snack, eat your lunch at noon.  If you can't eat until 3, make your breakfast meal bigger or your snack more nourishing (protein + fat or protein + veggies).

One other question - are you eating a palm to two palms size portions of protein?

I second the suggestion to limit your intake of nuts. It's very easy to eat more than the serving size!

Archived