Sept 18 start date reintro

dmrob2009

19 hours ago, Svmomma said:

@Mike5858 downloaded and reading "Food Freedom Forever" and liking it!  I like that it's framing this effort as a lifestyle, giving you strategies and thought processes on when the cravings happen.  Also, needed to go a little deeper on the reintroduction elements and focus on what is special to me and not really missed.  Bumming a bit at my reintro of dairy, although it was telling.  Definitely stripped me of my energy.  So back on W30 for a while.  

I have really enjoyed this book.  It comes the closest to giving me a blueprint of how I want to live the rest of my life, as far as food is concerned.  I need the freedom to make my own choices, based on what's most important to me, and have a plan in case I go off the rails some.  The "Food Freedom Plan" I have for myself should accomplish that.  Although I plan to eat a Whole 30/Paleo hybrid type of diet most of the time, I am going to allow myself a treat now and then when I feel like "it's worth it".  This book helps get my mind right in how to decide that very question.  The section on "triggers" or what makes us fall off the healthy eating wagon, was SO spot on in my opinion.  Vacations have always been a trigger to send me in a downward spiral, but I think I have a much better plan for our upcoming get away.  Strict W30 for the week before we leave, mindful choices, but nothing out of bounds while we are gone (not an unlimited frenzy of bad food, but giving myself the latitude to choose what I want), and strict W30 for a week when we get back.  I don't think this will be all that hard, since my wife and I have both agreed we really enjoy eating the way we learned to on Whole 30.  Strict W30 for us, really just means no booze, and we can do that.  We have not had to fight the sugar dragon yet, and that's the foe we need to be most mindful of.

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Mike5858 and @Svmomma I am half way though Food Freedom Forever and really enjoying it. My head is in a good space around how I want my food blueprint to be, but I'm hoping the book includes some exercises and tips on how to really embed them into my life.

@kirbz you should feel so so proud for going this far with the program. And your boyfriend is right, if your food choices are making you miserable (even if they are healthy and wholesome!) that's no way to live. I'm interested to hear how the reintro of the vegan cookies went - to be fair, all of those ingredients are compliant so you should be ok. How do you feel today? More important, were they tasty?

I had a really tough weekend - I must have picked up some mild stomach bug because I was quite unwell all weekend. Yesterday I just sat on the couch (or in bed) and could barely eat anything. I found it tough because if I ever had issues like that before I would eat plain toast, but I didn't want to reintro anything when i was already physically upset. So I had some plain potatoes and eggs and I think it has passed today. Still going to be careful, but it wasn't fun!

Good morning @dmrob2009  Yes, I'm ready.  I went to the gym this morning from 5am to 6am, did a half hour of biking and a half hour of weightlifting with my trainer.  I know BLE says don't exercise during the weight loss eating, but it has become habit for me and I don't want to lose what I've gained in the gym.  I feel better, and it wakes me up.  Here is my plan for today:

Breakfast: 2 eggs, 4oz (cooked) grits, 2 kiwi

Lunch: 4oz chicken breast, 6oz zucchini noodles (cooked in 1 tbsp. ghee), 2 kiwi

Dinner: 4oz ground pork cooked with ginger, garlic and coconut amines, 6oz lettuce leaves for wraps for the pork, 8oz salad (will mix in any leftover lettuce wrap leaves) with 1tbsp olive oil and vinegar to taste

I'm at work 8-8, so I brought both lunch and dinner with me.  I usually get home between 8:30 and 9pm, and I get up at 0430, so will just have some Sleepytime tea and go to bed. 

So far, so good. 

12 minutes ago, Mike5858 said:

I have really enjoyed this book.  It comes the closest to giving me a blueprint of how I want to live the rest of my life, as far as food is concerned.  I need the freedom to make my own choices, based on what's most important to me, and have a plan in case I go off the rails some.  The "Food Freedom Plan" I have for myself should accomplish that.  Although I plan to eat a Whole 30/Paleo hybrid type of diet most of the time, I am going to allow myself a treat now and then when I feel like "it's worth it".  This book helps get my mind right in how to decide that very question.  The section on "triggers" or what makes us fall off the healthy eating wagon, was SO spot on in my opinion.  Vacations have always been a trigger to send me in a downward spiral, but I think I have a much better plan for our upcoming get away.  Strict W30 for the week before we leave, mindful choices, but nothing out of bounds while we are gone (not an unlimited frenzy of bad food, but giving myself the latitude to choose what I want), and strict W30 for a week when we get back.  I don't think this will be all that hard, since my wife and I have both agreed we really enjoy eating the way we learned to on Whole 30.  Strict W30 for us, really just means no booze, and we can do that.  We have not had to fight the sugar dragon yet, and that's the foe we need to be most mindful of.

You've definitely got it all figured out, @Mike5858.  Fantastic job of taking what you've learned it and applying it to real life!  That's the whole point to the program and you've nailed it!

11 minutes ago, SineadMon said:

Love this @dmrob2009! Congrats on starting BLE - is it very prescribed in terms of food weight, or is that just your approach to it?

Thank you, @SineadMon.  It is extremely regimented, which I need. The mediation, inspirational reading are part of the morning routine, then committing of food for the next day, gratitude journal and 5 yr journal are recommended activities for bedtime.  I did the gratitude journal last night and awakened with some pep in my step.  I think it works.  :D

9 minutes ago, CorgiLover said:

Good morning @dmrob2009  Yes, I'm ready.  I went to the gym this morning from 5am to 6am, did a half hour of biking and a half hour of weightlifting with my trainer.  I know BLE says don't exercise during the weight loss eating, but it has become habit for me and I don't want to lose what I've gained in the gym.  I feel better, and it wakes me up.  Here is my plan for today:

Breakfast: 2 eggs, 4oz (cooked) grits, 2 kiwi

Lunch: 4oz chicken breast, 6oz zucchini noodles (cooked in 1 tbsp. ghee), 2 kiwi

Dinner: 4oz ground pork cooked with ginger, garlic and coconut amines, 6oz lettuce leaves for wraps for the pork, 8oz salad (will mix in any leftover lettuce wrap leaves) with 1tbsp olive oil and vinegar to taste

I'm at work 8-8, so I brought both lunch and dinner with me.  I usually get home between 8:30 and 9pm, and I get up at 0430, so will just have some Sleepytime tea and go to bed. 

So far, so good. 

Awesome!  Good luck today!  As far as working out, it's only recommended that you do not start a new workout regimen.  If you've been doing it, then it would be silly to quit. Way to go!  I've not been working out and therefore have to wait until the program is over, so as to not tax my willpower.  

Good Morning Everyone!

I was so happy to see everyone's posts from over the weekend.  What a treat!  Everyone seems to be moving forward, and that's all we can ask of ourselves.  Good luck on the "Bright Line Eating" program to those of you embarking on that journey.  Please keep us up to date on how that's working.  Good luck on reintro to those still working that too!  And Kirbz, if all it takes is a couple of Paleo cookies to cheer you up, by all means enjoy! :D

My wife and I had an interesting weekend.  We worked pretty hard around the condo on Saturday, and while we were coming back from yet another trip to Home Depot, she asked me how I'd feel about having pizza for dinner.  My first reaction was, "oh my God, no!", but then I began to reconsider.  I tried to be as logical as possible.  We had not done a reintro with dairy yet, and pizza would have cheese.  We had been very good and 100% compliant through the W30 and reintro.  We are both adults, and after reading most of "Food Freedom Forever", I knew I had it in me to decide whether pizza was "worth it".  At first we thought about making our own, or getting a thin crust veggie pizza.  We both decided that we were not going to do that.  If we wanted pizza, we were not going to compromise and we'd get our favorite pepperoni pizza from our favorite local pizzaria.  We got the pizza, took it home and opened a bottle of wine to enjoy it with.  We both grabbed two slices, left the rest in the kitchen, and sat down at the table to eat.  We ate slowly, savoring each bite, just as described in the "Food Freedom Forever" book.  We talked, laughed, and really enjoyed the pizza.  You know what happened that was amazing to me?  After the two slices, I was full.  My wife was full too.  We threw the rest of the pizza away!  That NEVER would have happened in the past.  We also stopped at one glass of merlot (admittedly, a pretty big glass).  In the past that whole pizza would have been eaten and the whole bottle of wine finished too.  We stopped at two slices and a glass, and actually went back to work on the condo for a couple of hours!  THAT would have never happened a month ago either.  It would have been stuffed bellies on the couch.  This whole thing was a HUGE deal for us.  We were 100% compliant with W30 all day Sunday, and have no plans of veering off course anytime soon.  The W30 reset really opened our eyes, that's for sure.  We both laughed when we agreed that we enjoyed the wine more than the pizza too!  :lol:

Have a great Monday everyone!  It's great to "see" everyone again.

Mike

12 minutes ago, SineadMon said:

@Mike5858 and @Svmomma I am half way though Food Freedom Forever and really enjoying it. My head is in a good space around how I want my food blueprint to be, but I'm hoping the book includes some exercises and tips on how to really embed them into my life.

@kirbz you should feel so so proud for going this far with the program. And your boyfriend is right, if your food choices are making you miserable (even if they are healthy and wholesome!) that's no way to live. I'm interested to hear how the reintro of the vegan cookies went - to be fair, all of those ingredients are compliant so you should be ok. How do you feel today? More important, were they tasty?

I had a really tough weekend - I must have picked up some mild stomach bug because I was quite unwell all weekend. Yesterday I just sat on the couch (or in bed) and could barely eat anything. I found it tough because if I ever had issues like that before I would eat plain toast, but I didn't want to reintro anything when i was already physically upset. So I had some plain potatoes and eggs and I think it has passed today. Still going to be careful, but it wasn't fun!

Sorry to hear that you've not been feeling well, @SineadMon.  My go to in the past has been ginger ale and saltines.  It's hard when you take that stuff out of the equation.  I hope you feel better soon!  Way to stick to plan under these circumstances! 

4 minutes ago, Mike5858 said:

Good Morning Everyone!

I was so happy to see everyone's posts from over the weekend.  What a treat!  Everyone seems to be moving forward, and that's all we can ask of ourselves.  Good luck on the "Bright Line Eating" program to those of you embarking on that journey.  Please keep us up to date on how that's working.  Good luck on reintro to those still working that too!  And Kirbz, if all it takes is a couple of Paleo cookies to cheer you up, by all means enjoy! :D

My wife and I had an interesting weekend.  We worked pretty hard around the condo on Saturday, and while we were coming back from yet another trip to Home Depot, she asked me how I'd feel about having pizza for dinner.  My first reaction was, "oh my God, no!", but then I began to reconsider.  I tried to be as logical as possible.  We had not done a reintro with dairy yet, and pizza would have cheese.  We had been very good and 100% compliant through the W30 and reintro.  We are both adults, and after reading most of "Food Freedom Forever", I knew I had it in me to decide whether pizza was "worth it".  At first we thought about making our own, or getting a thin crust veggie pizza.  We both decided that we were not going to do that.  If we wanted pizza, we were not going to compromise and we'd get our favorite pepperoni pizza from our favorite local pizzaria.  We got the pizza, took it home and opened a bottle of wine to enjoy it with.  We both grabbed two slices, left the rest in the kitchen, and sat down at the table to eat.  We ate slowly, savoring each bite, just as described in the "Food Freedom Forever" book.  We talked, laughed, and really enjoyed the pizza.  You know what happened that was amazing to me?  After the two slices, I was full.  My wife was full too.  We threw the rest of the pizza away!  That NEVER would have happened in the past.  We also stopped at one glass of merlot (admittedly, a pretty big glass).  In the past that whole pizza would have been eaten and the whole bottle of wine finished too.  We stopped at two slices and a glass, and actually went back to work on the condo for a couple of hours!  THAT would have never happened a month ago either.  It would have been stuffed bellies on the couch.  This whole thing was a HUGE deal for us.  We were 100% compliant with W30 all day Sunday, and have no plans of veering off course anytime soon.  The W30 reset really opened our eyes, that's for sure.  We both laughed when we agreed that we enjoyed the wine more than the pizza too!  :lol:

Mike

Wow, Mike!  That is truly awesome.  Congrats to you and your wife.  You both deserve a HUGE pat on the back!  Woo hoo!

2 minutes ago, dmrob2009 said:

Wow, Mike!  That is truly awesome.  Congrats to you and your wife.  You both deserve a HUGE pat on the back!  Woo hoo!

Thanks.  It's a long journey, and this was just one of the first steps, but it was very encouraging.  It's just a matter of establishing habits, and being mindful.  Easier said than done, but we are giving it our best shot.

@SineadMon the BLT eating has some really basic tenets.  Yes, weights is one of them, in fact the only required equipment is a digital food scale.  You plan your eating for the day ahead of time (the night before) so that there are no choices to be made on the particular day.  There is a meal template that tells how much of what you eat at each meal.  You also eat three meals a day only, no snacking, not even tasting while cooking.  It ends up being a pretty well balanced ~1200cal per day plan, if I figured it correctly.  What I like is that there are really no decisions to make, you just eat what is on the plan for the day, but you get flexibility in what the proteins, fats, veggies and fruits are.  That is the weight loss portion.  There is another plan, a little more liberal with amounts, for maintenance.  I see it like having a work uniform, it's so easy to just put on the uniform every day and not have to think about what you are going to wear.  Once I've lost what I want (I expect it to be several months), I'll transition to Paleo as it makes me feel so much better than my old way of eating. 

The most stringent "Bright Lines" you don't cross in BLE are sugar and flour.  None at all.  So far, so good.

Thanks @CorgiLover... I agree that the protocol is really helpful in taking out any level of chance or decision. You know the menu for that day and there is no hard work in figuring out what to make or how to make it. It sounds like it will be a great program for weight loss, especially as the outline is so clear. Is there a certain amount of time you do it for? Or is it until you are ready to transition? Sorry, i hope you don't mind me asking all these questions!

@kirbz you have your big dinner tonight don't you?! Enjoy!

@Mike5858 That is so amazing! Congrats! That is a fantastic achievement, but more importantly, a great feeling!! :):)

@Mike5858 Congratulations on your pizza experience! It sounds like you've come so very far in your relationship with food! You should certainly be proud of yourselves! And you should be feeling very confident as you move forward with your everyday food choices! 

@SineadMon The cookies were actually very delicious! I only made half of the recipe so we had six cookies. I ate two last night and felt quite full for some time. So much so that I didn't eat dinner! Oops! I honestly probably could have eaten one and been satisfied but I always eat more than one cookie. Always. And so poor habits took over and I ate two because it didn't even occur to me to only have one! LOL, I certainly learned a lesson from that. The good news is that when I woke up and saw the leftover cookies on the counter, I didn't have a desire to take one to work with me to have as a snack today. The cookies aren't worth it today. They certainly were last night and I genuinely enjoyed the process of baking and eating them. But I got what I needed and now I'm perfectly happy to eat Whole30 again today. 

Oh! And I felt motivated to work out even after I ate my cookies. I did a 7-mile hike yesterday with my beautiful little Inka (you can follow us on Instagram at @inkaoutside or @hertahoelife) so I had tentatively bagged the idea of doing Insanity. I'm trying to do a full cycle for the first time ever. But, after eating the cookies, I decided that I should work out and it was great! I felt strong and it made me feel better for eating the cookies because, the fact is, I still want to lose weight and even if the ingredients weren't awful, they were still fatty. 

Overall, I feel proud of myself! We're all doing so great! I continue to be so grateful for this group! 

10 minutes ago, kirbz said:

@Mike5858 Congratulations on your pizza experience! It sounds like you've come so very far in your relationship with food! You should certainly be proud of yourselves! And you should be feeling very confident as you move forward with your everyday food choices! 

@SineadMon The cookies were actually very delicious! I only made half of the recipe so we had six cookies. I ate two last night and felt quite full for some time. So much so that I didn't eat dinner! Oops! I honestly probably could have eaten one and been satisfied but I always eat more than one cookie. Always. And so poor habits took over and I ate two because it didn't even occur to me to only have one! LOL, I certainly learned a lesson from that. The good news is that when I woke up and saw the leftover cookies on the counter, I didn't have a desire to take one to work with me to have as a snack today. The cookies aren't worth it today. They certainly were last night and I genuinely enjoyed the process of baking and eating them. But I got what I needed and now I'm perfectly happy to eat Whole30 again today. 

Oh! And I felt motivated to work out even after I ate my cookies. I did a 7-mile hike yesterday with my beautiful little Inka (you can follow us on Instagram at @inkaoutside or @hertahoelife) so I had tentatively bagged the idea of doing Insanity. I'm trying to do a full cycle for the first time ever. But, after eating the cookies, I decided that I should work out and it was great! I felt strong and it made me feel better for eating the cookies because, the fact is, I still want to lose weight and even if the ingredients weren't awful, they were still fatty. 

Overall, I feel proud of myself! We're all doing so great! I continue to be so grateful for this group! 

Sounds like you made a great decision for you, and earned every bite of those cookies.  You should be proud!  Nice job!

14 minutes ago, kirbz said:

@kirbz I'm so jealous!  The paleo sweets derailed me.   I'm happy for you that you are able to incorporate them when it's worth it, because you've been talking about wanting to bake paleo treats for a while now.  You go, girl!  

12 hours ago, Mike5858 said:

Good Morning Everyone!

Mike

Love this and think you're on the right track.  Wasn't it really about figuring out our relationship with foods and our triggers.  And loved the decision to have pizza was a worth it moment.  Jealous that pizza didn't cause you harm! After my dairy episode I'm happily back on what felt like something I couldn't wait to be done with.  Back in the safe zone W30 and doing dairy again tomorrow.  I think the "worth it" item might be the pumpkin pie ice cream I bought before my family eats it all gone!  

10 hours ago, Svmomma said:

Love this and think you're on the right track.  Wasn't it really about figuring out our relationship with foods and our triggers.  And loved the decision to have pizza was a worth it moment.  Jealous that pizza didn't cause you harm! After my dairy episode I'm happily back on what felt like something I couldn't wait to be done with.  Back in the safe zone W30 and doing dairy again tomorrow.  I think the "worth it" item might be the pumpkin pie ice cream I bought before my family eats it all gone!  

Oh, my goodness... that sounds divine!!!  Have fun experimenting!

Good morning and Happy Halloween!:ph34r:

Yesterday went okay.  It was a learning day for me, so I'll take it as a win.  I'm going to admit, I felt hungry (or rather, HANGRY) a lot yesterday.  That's to be expected, so no surprise there.  What I learned about is quantity vs weight.  The total weight of my veggies at night is 14 oz.  I totally underestimated just how much that is so I didn't make enough zucchini and ended up having to crunch on garden cherry toms, raw carrots and red bell pepper... boring, with the exception of the tomatoes which were quite delicious.  Also, 4 oz of meat was more than I had visualized.  It's approximately 1 can of tuna or a reasonable serving of steak.   

At any rate, this is doable for now.  One day at a time, right?  I definitely need a new scale, as mine is not quite sensitive enough to measure down to the exact measurement every time and that's a big deal on this program.  

Today's menu:

Breakfast- 4 oz cooked GF oatmeal, 8 oz plain yogurt, 1 banana

Lunch- 6 oz field greens, 4 oz  turkey, 1 tbsp dressing, 1 apple

Dinner- 4 oz leftover elk steak stirfryed with 1 tbsp olive oil and 14 oz veggies

Have a good one, all!!!

10 hours ago, Svmomma said:

I think the "worth it" item might be the pumpkin pie ice cream I bought before my family eats it all gone!  

Maybe the pumpkin pie ice cream won't be as difficult on your system as it is mainly dairy, whereas the ranch dressing had some many other ingredients! Let us know how it goes!

@dmrob2009 This all looks delicious and congrats on sticking to such clear guidelines.. I have to say that I think the thoughts of weighing all my food might be just too much restriction for me. But different things work for different people and so if you see the benefits, we're all here to support you!

6 minutes ago, SineadMon said:

Maybe the pumpkin pie ice cream won't be as difficult on your system as it is mainly dairy, whereas the ranch dressing had some many other ingredients! Let us know how it goes!

@dmrob2009 This all looks delicious and congrats on sticking to such clear guidelines.. I have to say that I think the thoughts of weighing all my food might be just too much restriction for me. But different things work for different people and so if you see the benefits, we're all here to support you!

Thanks, @SineadMon.  It's definitely not for everyone.  I cannot promise I'll do it forever, but I'm doing it today.  :unsure:. Hopefully it gets a little more automatic, but I've not figured out all of the tips and tricks to make it so just yet.  

9 minutes ago, dmrob2009 said:

I cannot promise I'll do it forever, but I'm doing it today. 

I think one of the big things I learned from Whole30 is that we have to take it one day at a time, celebrate each successful day and just try to be consistent! That's a really healthy approach @dmrob2009 and I've no doubt you will come to enjoy it!

11 hours ago, Svmomma said:

Pumpkin pie ice cream?  Oh my!  :D  Good luck, and enjoy!

13 minutes ago, SineadMon said:

I think one of the big things I learned from Whole30 is that we have to take it one day at a time, celebrate each successful day and just try to be consistent! That's a really healthy approach @dmrob2009 and I've no doubt you will come to enjoy it!

Thank you, @Mike5858.  Being on this thread is helping so much.  Thanks a million, to all of you, for all of the support and encouragement!

32 minutes ago, dmrob2009 said:

Thanks, @SineadMon.  It's definitely not for everyone.  I cannot promise I'll do it forever, but I'm doing it today.  :unsure:. Hopefully it gets a little more automatic, but I've not figured out all of the tips and tricks to make it so just yet.  

"Food Freedom Forever talks about doing things "one meal at a time" if that's what it takes.  You'll figure out what works best for you.  ;)

Archived