Sept 18 start date reintro

dmrob2009

Hi all!

@dmrob2009 you are keeping all of us going! Thanks for your daily check-ins and reminders... Also @Mike5858, it's great to hear about your daily food freedom journey. I still find it so comforting to come on here and read everyone's experience and contribute my little bit. 

@dmrob2009 sorry to hear your first week (or has it been two) was tough... taking on the perspective of food freedom, it's so great that you got through the week as best you did with the resources you had and the struggle of having to tend to a sick husband. You can only improve from here and that's the key thing - recognizing what is working for you and going from there.

@Mike5858 sorry to hear your wife is having issues with alcohol and you poor thing with your back! It's funny how quickly we can be reminded to slow down. I started going to the gym a little more a few weeks ago, but with my tummy bug last week I had to sit a few days out. It was frustrating, and actually was quite a trigger for me - I was so tempted to take it as a "what the hell" and just return to my old lifestyle, but I just tried to focus on allowing my body to heal. Remember, as you said to me a few weeks ago, this is a lifestyle change and every little thing you are doing is making you better and stronger. A few days rest is exactly what your body needs to allow you to go back to the gym with gusto! In a few months time, when your benching double or triple what you can now, your body will thank you for a slow start.

@CorgiLover it's great that you are starting to see what suits your body and what your needs are.. if you are finding yourself weaker at the gym, then that is telling you something. It sounds like you are really fitting so much into your days... I'm not sure of your overall weekly schedule, but is there a day there that you can just completely have 'no plans'. I have 3 days in the week (Mon, Tues, Wed) where I have a very intense schedule of meetings and classes. On these days, I just focus on getting through work - and that means up at 6am, on the train by 7am, work from 8-6, home by 8 and bed by 9:30/10pm. But the other four days, I allow myself to have loose plans.. e.g. don't set an alarm, go to the gym when I feel like it, prep some food all around some sense of work! I find that on the crazy days when I don't have time to think or barely breathe, I know the other days are waiting for me.

@kirbz I haven't tried the eatingevolved chocolate but the reviews look great - I'd love to hear what you think. Also, thanks so much for the banana bread recipe. I already had the banana's frozen when I received it, but I will definitely defrost them this week and try it out. Some of her recipes are amazing! Anything else you would recommend?

Just for full disclosure here, I'm not 100% w30 compliant and so it's probably unfair of me to say I'm on day 41... For example, I went to brunch with some friends on Saturday and ordered the best option on the menu - we were at a Jamaican restaurant which is not good for my whole30 plans or the end stages of my tummy bug. I ordered jerk chicken and seasonal greens, but while I asked for everything super plain, I'm convinced the seasoning they used wasn't compliant. I'm not stressing about it as i'm no longer "on w30" but I do find that I'm trying to stay as close to this for my food freedom. This week I do intend to reintroduce legumes and follow up with non-gluten grains just to see. I would like to add more foods to my diet.. but yes, @dmrob2009 I am very comfortable in this way of eating.

That said, I have been struggling the last few days. I've really wanted to just check out and eat ALL THE THINGS.. I don't know if it is stress, the colder weather, a sense of loneliness (my boyfriend has gone back to Boston for a few weeks for work), a sense of exhaustion with this way of eating/living or just recovering after the tummy bug, but I'm really having a "is this all worth it"? feeling. I'm not sure if anyone else has experience this?! It can just be so hard sometimes to always be prepared, and always ask for modifications, and always feel like you have to go against the grain on things. Sorry, maybe I need to read the TOUGH LOVE section of the book again. I'm almost done with Food Freedom Forever and @Mike5858 I agree that it is so helpful! The strategies are great and it just lays everything out so well.... but I still can't kick this sense of 'urgh' right now. Sorry for the long post and the rant, but I just wanted to share where I've been the last few days. I'm hoping that now my tummy is almost back to itself, I can make some fun dinners from Well Fed or somewhere to help me feel excited about food and this lifestyle again.  

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, SineadMon said:

Hi all!

@dmrob2009 you are keeping all of us going! Thanks for your daily check-ins and reminders... Also @Mike5858, it's great to hear about your daily food freedom journey. I still find it so comforting to come on here and read everyone's experience and contribute my little bit. 

@dmrob2009 sorry to hear your first week (or has it been two) was tough... taking on the perspective of food freedom, it's so great that you got through the week as best you did with the resources you had and the struggle of having to tend to a sick husband. You can only improve from here and that's the key thing - recognizing what is working for you and going from there.

@Mike5858 sorry to hear your wife is having issues with alcohol and you poor thing with your back! It's funny how quickly we can be reminded to slow down. I started going to the gym a little more a few weeks ago, but with my tummy bug last week I had to sit a few days out. It was frustrating, and actually was quite a trigger for me - I was so tempted to take it as a "what the hell" and just return to my old lifestyle, but I just tried to focus on allowing my body to heal. Remember, as you said to me a few weeks ago, this is a lifestyle change and every little thing you are doing is making you better and stronger. A few days rest is exactly what your body needs to allow you to go back to the gym with gusto! In a few months time, when your benching double or triple what you can now, your body will thank you for a slow start.

@CorgiLover it's great that you are starting to see what suits your body and what your needs are.. if you are finding yourself weaker at the gym, then that is telling you something. It sounds like you are really fitting so much into your days... I'm not sure of your overall weekly schedule, but is there a day there that you can just completely have 'no plans'. I have 3 days in the week (Mon, Tues, Wed) where I have a very intense schedule of meetings and classes. On these days, I just focus on getting through work - and that means up at 6am, on the train by 7am, work from 8-6, home by 8 and bed by 9:30/10pm. But the other four days, I allow myself to have loose plans.. e.g. don't set an alarm, go to the gym when I feel like it, prep some food all around some sense of work! I find that on the crazy days when I don't have time to think or barely breathe, I know the other days are waiting for me.

@kirbz I haven't tried the eatingevolved chocolate but the reviews look great - I'd love to hear what you think. Also, thanks so much for the banana bread recipe. I already had the banana's frozen when I received it, but I will definitely defrost them this week and try it out. Some of her recipes are amazing! Anything else you would recommend?

Just for full disclosure here, I'm not 100% w30 compliant and so it's probably unfair of me to say I'm on day 41... For example, I went to brunch with some friends on Saturday and ordered the best option on the menu - we were at a Jamaican restaurant which is not good for my whole30 plans or the end stages of my tummy bug. I ordered jerk chicken and seasonal greens, but while I asked for everything super plain, I'm convinced the seasoning they used wasn't compliant. I'm not stressing about it as i'm no longer "on w30" but I do find that I'm trying to stay as close to this for my food freedom. This week I do intend to reintroduce legumes and follow up with non-gluten grains just to see. I would like to add more foods to my diet.. but yes, @dmrob2009 I am very comfortable in this way of eating.

That said, I have been struggling the last few days. I've really wanted to just check out and eat ALL THE THINGS.. I don't know if it is stress, the colder weather, a sense of loneliness (my boyfriend has gone back to Boston for a few weeks for work), a sense of exhaustion with this way of eating/living or just recovering after the tummy bug, but I'm really having a "is this all worth it"? feeling. I'm not sure if anyone else has experience this?! It can just be so hard sometimes to always be prepared, and always ask for modifications, and always feel like you have to go against the grain on things. Sorry, maybe I need to read the TOUGH LOVE section of the book again. I'm almost done with Food Freedom Forever and @Mike5858 I agree that it is so helpful! The strategies are great and it just lays everything out so well.... but I still can't kick this sense of 'urgh' right now. Sorry for the long post and the rant, but I just wanted to share where I've been the last few days. I'm hoping that now my tummy is almost back to itself, I can make some fun dinners from Well Fed or somewhere to help me feel excited about food and this lifestyle again.  

So great to hear from you SineadMon!  Thanks for the encouraging words about my back.  You are 100% correct, I just need to rest it.  I do feel better when I walk, so my dog is happy.  I so want to have fun on my trip to Hot Springs this weekend with my wife, so I'm not going to rush back to the gym until I'm ready.  I'm a little better today, and hope to be even better tomorrow!  

My wife and I had a glass of Pinot Noir last night, and she had no ill effects!  We will be on the wagon until Friday night when we arrive at the hotel, so we are both hoping the headaches were just freak things and not something that will happen all the time.  

Sounds to me like you did great at the Jamaican restaurant.  I believe (for me anyway), that the attempt to do the best you can is what matters most.  Being mindful when you order, and understanding that even if it's not 100% "compliant", it's way better than the "anything goes" ways of the past that i had.  Food freedom, to me, is taking responsibility for my choices.  A little sugar or spice here and there is nothing, in my opinion.  It's life and the tastes that make it enjoyable.  It's not like grabbing a glazed doughnut, because we got up late, or a handful of M&M's, because someone was mean to us at the office.  We've all struggled with food or we wouldn't be here, but we all need and deserve to enjoy life as well, in my opinion.  No need to apologize for our choices. ;)

That sort of leads into your last point about struggling the past few days.  I get it, and have the same feelings now and then.  My sore back made me think about picking up a key lime pie (my favorite) as a reward for being so good the past 6+ weeks.  I stopped short though, when I remembered my upcoming trip and the promises I made to myself to wait until then for a "treat".  I certainly don't ever need the whole pie available either!  I had to take a deep breath an realize that my sore back was a trigger to get me thinking the "old way", where any excuse to feel sorry for myself or reward myself with food was just the natural way of doing things.  I've been "good" in the past, and lost weight, ate well and worked out.  Then I would have that moment, like I did this weekend, and feel I deserved a reward.  Problem is, the reward would last for weeks, and I'd be in worse shape than when I started.  The same for set backs.  "Oh, woe is me, my back hurts and I can't keep momentum going at the gym.  The heck with it, lets eat a pie and drink a bottle of wine".  Instead of acting on any of this, I took a deep breath and thought it out and decided, for me, this was silly thinking.  I took the dog for a walk instead and the feeling and thoughts completly left my head.  So, I'm with you, and understand that sometimes this new lifestyle can be frustrating, and frankly a pain in the butt.  I'm learning to cope with it though, and make good decisions, and be mindful.  Most of the time this is all becoming automatic, but sometimes it takes a little more thought and work.  I do thank goodness for this forum, as I place I can come to vent (like I just did), or help by listening to a friend vent (like your short rant:D).  You're doing great!  Everyone who finished Whole 30 with us is doing great.  We will all continue to move forward at our own pace.  

Have a great Monday everyone!

Mike

@Mike5858 and @SineadMon... so glad to hear from y'all and sorry to hear about both of your struggles.  I can relate to both.

@Mike5858 back issues suck and I know how debilitating they can be.  You are wise to take a break from further workouts until the kinks go away.

@SineadMon I, too have been struggling.  To be perfectly frank, I do not like weighing and measuring my food.  I've been grouchy and even a little depressed because I know this is not sustainable.  I can say, with absolute certainty, that I cannot, nor do I want to, live like this anymore.   I'm starting to feel 'triggered' by the obsessive nature of committing my food, obsessing about not deviating, being hard on myself when I do... and above all else, weighing everything down to the hundredth of an oz.  How on earth is this healthy?  This is entirely too much focus on food, in my opinion.  @CorgiLover if this is working for you, please do not let my vent ruin your mojo.  I wish you all the best.  Keep up the good work!

The motto for BLE is 'happy, thin and free'.  I can see how I could get thin eating minimal calories daily, 20 oz of which are veggies and not eating any sugar or flour ever.  Having said that, I'm definitely not happy and far, far from free.  No sugar, no flour,no cream in my coffee, no sweeteners of any kind.  Ever.  That  means holidays and birthdays.  OMG, this is not for me. I'm done.  I thought about buying Food Freedom Forever.  I actually thought the W30 was a walk in the park compared to BLE, so maybe FFF will be worth exploring.

I have gained a few good habits (the starts, of good habits, anyhow) from the program.  I like the morning meditation and uplifting readings, as well as the gratitude journal entries in the p.m.  I've gotten a good idea of portion sizes and gotten used to not eating in between meals.  Also, the more veggies, the better.  

Anyhow, happy Monday, all!

Hey all - Trying to get caught up here after a long week last week and fundraising event I put on on Friday.  With such a busy schedule, I definitely slipped here and there from a mostly W30 menu.  Brought food with me to the event, but then just ended up eating the caesar salad as it seemed the safest (with previously introduced) ingredients at the time.  Stayed away from all the mini pizza's we served as apps.  Truly, I find myself thankful to go back to the W30 menu/meals knowing I feel fed well, and great quantities of proteins/veggies.  I did introduce gluten today officially (although some things I've eaten were suspect I'm sure).  Nothing really happened, which I"m amazed given everyone's experiences.   So with that out of the way... I'm just living  mostly W30, still cooking a lot but liking what I eat.  Had a good run over the weekend, and hope time in the gym tomorrow goes well. 

Best wishes to you all on your journeys!  

@SineadMon I’ve definitely been struggling with the “is this worth it?” concept! And @dmrob2009 I’ve also thought that maybe some of this just puts way too much emphasis on food! For what it’s worth, here’s where I’ve landed on what food freedom looks like for me… It’s come with much reflection and experimentation but I feel happy with this place.

I know what foods do and do not make me feel crappy. I know what foods do and do not help me achieve the results I want to see with my body and soul. Cravings no longer govern my decisions about food because I now have control over those. Being healthy does govern my decisions about food but being 100% compliant to anything does not make me happy. I continue to want to lose weight but I do not feel bad when I eat off-plan foods. But I do make a conscious decision to be more active when I eat those foods.  

Over a four-day period, I had a commercial, pre-packaged, store-bought chicken teriyaki bowl. It didn’t taste good because my taste buds don’t care for processed foods like that anymore and it was overly sweet. I had Paleo pancakes with organic maple syrup and it was a warm, nice way to start a cold, stormy morning. I felt full for a really long time but I went for a hike with the love of my life and my pups. I had a peanut butter sandwich and loved every moment before, during, and after eating it. I ate a handful of dark chocolate covered almonds and it was divine. I did not feel the need to eat more, I did not feel bad, but I went for a walk that evening because I ate them. Oh, and I had a small slice of pepperjack cheese because, well, yum!

I don’t feel bad about any of it. Besides a very minor tummy ache after the teriyaki bowl, I didn’t feel any worse for eating those foods. I managed my portions well and did not over-eat any of it. I did not have any significant cravings after eating them. And I continued to lose weight. I call that success and I call that something I can live with for my forever food freedom.

57 minutes ago, Svmomma said:

Hey all - Trying to get caught up here after a long week last week and fundraising event I put on on Friday.  With such a busy schedule, I definitely slipped here and there from a mostly W30 menu.  Brought food with me to the event, but then just ended up eating the caesar salad as it seemed the safest (with previously introduced) ingredients at the time.  Stayed away from all the mini pizza's we served as apps.  Truly, I find myself thankful to go back to the W30 menu/meals knowing I feel fed well, and great quantities of proteins/veggies.  I did introduce gluten today officially (although some things I've eaten were suspect I'm sure).  Nothing really happened, which I"m amazed given everyone's experiences.   So with that out of the way... I'm just living  mostly W30, still cooking a lot but liking what I eat.  Had a good run over the weekend, and hope time in the gym tomorrow goes well. 

Ahhhhhhh... lucky!  Gluten makes me feel like poo!  :D

19 minutes ago, kirbz said:

@SineadMon I’ve definitely been struggling with the “is this worth it?” concept! And @dmrob2009 I’ve also thought that maybe some of this just puts way too much emphasis on food! For what it’s worth, here’s where I’ve landed on what food freedom looks like for me… It’s come with much reflection and experimentation but I feel happy with this place.

I know what foods do and do not make me feel crappy. I know what foods do and do not help me achieve the results I want to see with my body and soul. Cravings no longer govern my decisions about food because I now have control over those. Being healthy does govern my decisions about food but being 100% compliant to anything does not make me happy. I continue to want to lose weight but I do not feel bad when I eat off-plan foods. But I do make a conscious decision to be more active when I eat those foods.  

Over a four-day period, I had a commercial, pre-packaged, store-bought chicken teriyaki bowl. It didn’t taste good because my taste buds don’t care for processed foods like that anymore and it was overly sweet. I had Paleo pancakes with organic maple syrup and it was a warm, nice way to start a cold, stormy morning. I felt full for a really long time but I went for a hike with the love of my life and my pups. I had a peanut butter sandwich and loved every moment before, during, and after eating it. I ate a handful of dark chocolate covered almonds and it was divine. I did not feel the need to eat more, I did not feel bad, but I went for a walk that evening because I ate them. Oh, and I had a small slice of pepperjack cheese because, well, yum!

I don’t feel bad about any of it. Besides a very minor tummy ache after the teriyaki bowl, I didn’t feel any worse for eating those foods. I managed my portions well and did not over-eat any of it. I did not have any significant cravings after eating them. And I continued to lose weight. I call that success and I call that something I can live with for my forever food freedom.

Now that's something.  Congrats on learning so much from this experience, @kirbz.  Very, very inspiring.:) 

Hi everyone, thanks so much for the replies and conversation! I am so proud of all of us as we graduate towards a more sustainable and happy life.

@kirbz that sounds amazing - and exactly why we all started the W30: to be able to enjoy life, eat what you, your body and soul want and to stop when you are full. Also, how was the chocolate? I'm dying for a review!

@dmrob2009 to be honest, and I don't want to bias your fantastic commitment, but it does sound like that program is just too restrictive and time consuming. I think after W30 we all see what our bodies want, what they respond to and how to move forward knowing these things. Weighing your food to figure out a portion size is someone else trying to tell you what is right for your body. Maybe just try to experiment with portion sizes - try a small plate and if after an hour you are hungry again, have a small snack. if this doesn't work, try a larger plate with no snacks between meals. Kind of like a reintro with portion sizes. Also, just so you know, I never did beat the nut grazing and i've just accepted that i like them and I enjoy snacking on nuts and raisins every now and then!!!!

@Svmomma congrats on the gluten reintro... great to see how your body responds and hopefully today in the gym will be good.

@Mike5858 getting closer to that vacation! I just read that section in FFF last night.. great to have a plan to model it around. I found it so helpful when the book discussed the holidays. I already feel better going into the next few weeks.

Yesterday I had a really stressful and intense day at work - one of those days where all you want to do is escape into food. After having a rant here about the 'is it worth it?' and then just realizing food was not going to change how stressful the day was, it was just going to slow me down and upset me more, I powered through. I'm physically and emotionally exhausted today, but i have energy, my body feels healthy and nourished and my mind is clear. So when i'm wondering 'is it worth it', I want to remember how this feels - i think this is food freedom.

15 hours ago, dmrob2009 said:

@Mike5858 and @SineadMon... so glad to hear from y'all and sorry to hear about both of your struggles.  I can relate to both.

@Mike5858 back issues suck and I know how debilitating they can be.  You are wise to take a break from further workouts until the kinks go away.

@SineadMon I, too have been struggling.  To be perfectly frank, I do not like weighing and measuring my food.  I've been grouchy and even a little depressed because I know this is not sustainable.  I can say, with absolute certainty, that I cannot, nor do I want to, live like this anymore.   I'm starting to feel 'triggered' by the obsessive nature of committing my food, obsessing about not deviating, being hard on myself when I do... and above all else, weighing everything down to the hundredth of an oz.  How on earth is this healthy?  This is entirely too much focus on food, in my opinion.  @CorgiLover if this is working for you, please do not let my vent ruin your mojo.  I wish you all the best.  Keep up the good work!

The motto for BLE is 'happy, thin and free'.  I can see how I could get thin eating minimal calories daily, 20 oz of which are veggies and not eating any sugar or flour ever.  Having said that, I'm definitely not happy and far, far from free.  No sugar, no flour,no cream in my coffee, no sweeteners of any kind.  Ever.  That  means holidays and birthdays.  OMG, this is not for me. I'm done.  I thought about buying Food Freedom Forever.  I actually thought the W30 was a walk in the park compared to BLE, so maybe FFF will be worth exploring.

I have gained a few good habits (the starts, of good habits, anyhow) from the program.  I like the morning meditation and uplifting readings, as well as the gratitude journal entries in the p.m.  I've gotten a good idea of portion sizes and gotten used to not eating in between meals.  Also, the more veggies, the better.  

Anyhow, happy Monday, all!

"Nothing ventured, nothing gained".  It's the truth.  You're finding your way dmrob2009!  Whole 30, BLM, it's all part of finding our way with food.  Reading your posts, it's so inspiring to see how self aware you are.  Good for you!  I plan on starting morning meditations soon myself.  keeping a journal might be a good practice for me as well.  I really enjoyed "Food Freedom Forever".  It will be a really quick read for you if you buy it (you've been through and understand more than half of it), but well worth the read in my opinion.  Let us know how things are working out for you!

14 hours ago, Svmomma said:

Great to hear gluten worked out well for you.  My experience was different. :P   I feel that "slipping here and there" when you're that busy should be counted as a big win.  Going back to cooking W30 type meals most of the time and being mindful the rest, can only lead to good things in the long run.  the "long run" is what I continue to focus on, and it sounds like you are too.  I'm jealous about the gym, as my back still isn't right (but getting there), best of luck!

13 hours ago, kirbz said:

You and i are on the same page kirbz!  I haven't tried anything processed, and don't intend to unless absolutley necessary, but I never feel bad about a glass of wine or anything else I'm doing either.  I've learned SO much in past few weeks, and armed with this knowledge, I plan to move forward on a path of being healthy AND happy.  Being more active is a big part of it for me as well.

40 minutes ago, SineadMon said:

Hi everyone, thanks so much for the replies and conversation! I am so proud of all of us as we graduate towards a more sustainable and happy life.

@kirbz that sounds amazing - and exactly why we all started the W30: to be able to enjoy life, eat what you, your body and soul want and to stop when you are full. Also, how was the chocolate? I'm dying for a review!

@dmrob2009 to be honest, and I don't want to bias your fantastic commitment, but it does sound like that program is just too restrictive and time consuming. I think after W30 we all see what our bodies want, what they respond to and how to move forward knowing these things. Weighing your food to figure out a portion size is someone else trying to tell you what is right for your body. Maybe just try to experiment with portion sizes - try a small plate and if after an hour you are hungry again, have a small snack. if this doesn't work, try a larger plate with no snacks between meals. Kind of like a reintro with portion sizes. Also, just so you know, I never did beat the nut grazing and i've just accepted that i like them and I enjoy snacking on nuts and raisins every now and then!!!!

@Svmomma congrats on the gluten reintro... great to see how your body responds and hopefully today in the gym will be good.

@Mike5858 getting closer to that vacation! I just read that section in FFF last night.. great to have a plan to model it around. I found it so helpful when the book discussed the holidays. I already feel better going into the next few weeks.

Yesterday I had a really stressful and intense day at work - one of those days where all you want to do is escape into food. After having a rant here about the 'is it worth it?' and then just realizing food was not going to change how stressful the day was, it was just going to slow me down and upset me more, I powered through. I'm physically and emotionally exhausted today, but i have energy, my body feels healthy and nourished and my mind is clear. So when i'm wondering 'is it worth it', I want to remember how this feels - i think this is food freedom.

I think you've got "Food Freedom" all figured out.  Now it's just putting the ideas and tips from the book into play.  That's my plan anyway.  The book touching on the holidays and vacations was HUGE for me, as they've always been the biggest triggers for me falling apart health wise.  I put more effort into "is it worth it?" thinking than anything else and it's working for me so far.

Happy Tuesday everyone!  Today is my birthday, and I will NOT be having cake.  My anniversary is on the 14th, so our trip this weekend is midway between the two occasions, and my wife and I will celebrate then, with a little something sweet.  It's so empowering to make those kind of decisions with next to no effort.  I really don't want a birthday cake on a Tuesday evening.  What I want is a special occasion with my wife, and waiting until this weekend will be easy.  This is my 58th trip around the sun, the cake really isn't that big a deal anymore! :lol:

On a side note, I have now purchased all three of the "Well Fed" cookbooks.  I think something like 8 of our last 10 dinners have come from them.  I've spent a bunch of money on spices and things I didn't have (arrowroot powder? who knew?), but now I'm pretty well stocked up.  I have never written a fan letter to anyone in my life, but Melissa Joulwan may get one soon.  These recipes are fabulous!  

Have a great day everyone!

Mike

Hi everyone, I'm still here.  I just read through the postings from past two days, and I really think we are all on same page.  Imagine that, 6 weeks after fledgling w30!  Not sure I can keep up with who said what, but here goes:  I am giving up BLE as well.  @dmrob2009I hMikave come to similar conclusions.  I think BLE is basically a template for what to eat, that amounts to about 1200 cals per day, but is very rigid and requires a lot of time and energy.  I am going to continue to measure some portions for a while, because I realized my portion control was nonexistent, but not for every meal and every item.  Why should I measure the weight of salad?  Really.  Also, I don't always want what is in the template, I don't always (usually) want grain at breakfast, or ever, and fruit is something I can give or take.  So, I'm off that bandwagon and back to a mostly w30 way of eating.  I feel better, and my gym time isn't full of cramps and exhaustion.  I still need to lose the weight, thus I'm going to be measuring portions of proteins, mostly, but I agree with the idea that controlling intake so much is not productive or healthy.  

@Mike5858 do you think the issue your wife had with wine was sulfites?  I know there is some ? of whether sulfites cause headache, but I have a friend who had issues with his tongue swelling and not feeling well with red wine.  He started only drinking non-sulfite wines and the problem went away...  IIRC South African wines were better for him, and organic like Frey vinyards, if that helps.  

@SineadMonyou are right about my schedule.  I knew it too.  I work in healthcare, where 12 hour shifts are standard (and I prefer them) but the days I work don't leave a lot of time left over.  Add to that the gym...  I work a rotating two week schedule, week 1 I work MTFSS, week 2 only Wed/Thurs.  7 days of fourteen, but that week 1 is brutal at times.  When I added going to the gym at 5am MWF, it meant that the days I go to gym AND work, I get up at 0430, gym at 0500, home at 0600, leave for work at 0715, work 8-8 and home between 8:30-9pm.  Not much time for rest, or even prepping food.  I've learned to prep meals on the days off, but I realized recently that I was getting very tired.  This week, I took the whole week off to use up some unspent vacation hours.  Yesterday, I had slept since 10pmish, got up at 0430 and went to gym, came home and made some eggs and went back to bed.  Slept till 1630 in the afternoon and felt great.  I'm looking at working into my schedule a day each week to just sleep all day if I want, I know it isn't the greatest management, but I think would be better for me to plan for some extra sleep those busy weeks.  

Sorry, I've rambled, but I like coming here and seeing that everyone is still doing well and working out best for each of us.  I have the Well Fed first book, but on the recommendation here going to order the others.  I'm going to Thanksgiving at my cousin's house across country, we are going to connect in Sacramento but then head for Lake Tahoe for the holiday.  I was concerned, but got a text last night from him asking if I have grocery/alcohol requests.  When I said I'm off dairy and gluten and artificial ingredients as much as possible, and occ red wine only, turns out they feel same and are fine with it.  I feel a lot better, and am just going to stay with w30ish  until then.  

2 hours ago, SineadMon said:

Yay!!! Win!!!!!  Good going, girl!

1 hour ago, Mike5858 said:

Happy Tuesday everyone!  Today is my birthday, and I will NOT be having cake.  My anniversary is on the 14th, so our trip this weekend is midway between the two occasions, and my wife and I will celebrate then, with a little something sweet.  It's so empowering to make those kind of decisions with next to no effort.  I really don't want a birthday cake on a Tuesday evening.  What I want is a special occasion with my wife, and waiting until this weekend will be easy.  This is my 58th trip around the sun, the cake really isn't that big a deal anymore! :lol:

On a side note, I have now purchased all three of the "Well Fed" cookbooks.  I think something like 8 of our last 10 dinners have come from them.  I've spent a bunch of money on spices and things I didn't have (arrowroot powder? who knew?), but now I'm pretty well stocked up.  I have never written a fan letter to anyone in my life, but Melissa Joulwan may get one soon.  These recipes are fabulous!  

Have a great day everyone!

Mike

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!

1 hour ago, CorgiLover said:

Hi everyone, I'm still here.  I just read through the postings from past two days, and I really think we are all on same page.  Imagine that, 6 weeks after fledgling w30!  Not sure I can keep up with who said what, but here goes:  I am giving up BLE as well.  @dmrob2009I hMikave come to similar conclusions.  I think BLE is basically a template for what to eat, that amounts to about 1200 cals per day, but is very rigid and requires a lot of time and energy.  I am going to continue to measure some portions for a while, because I realized my portion control was nonexistent, but not for every meal and every item.  Why should I measure the weight of salad?  Really.  Also, I don't always want what is in the template, I don't always (usually) want grain at breakfast, or ever, and fruit is something I can give or take.  So, I'm off that bandwagon and back to a mostly w30 way of eating.  I feel better, and my gym time isn't full of cramps and exhaustion.  I still need to lose the weight, thus I'm going to be measuring portions of proteins, mostly, but I agree with the idea that controlling intake so much is not productive or healthy.  

@Mike5858 do you think the issue your wife had with wine was sulfites?  I know there is some ? of whether sulfites cause headache, but I have a friend who had issues with his tongue swelling and not feeling well with red wine.  He started only drinking non-sulfite wines and the problem went away...  IIRC South African wines were better for him, and organic like Frey vinyards, if that helps.  

@SineadMonyou are right about my schedule.  I knew it too.  I work in healthcare, where 12 hour shifts are standard (and I prefer them) but the days I work don't leave a lot of time left over.  Add to that the gym...  I work a rotating two week schedule, week 1 I work MTFSS, week 2 only Wed/Thurs.  7 days of fourteen, but that week 1 is brutal at times.  When I added going to the gym at 5am MWF, it meant that the days I go to gym AND work, I get up at 0430, gym at 0500, home at 0600, leave for work at 0715, work 8-8 and home between 8:30-9pm.  Not much time for rest, or even prepping food.  I've learned to prep meals on the days off, but I realized recently that I was getting very tired.  This week, I took the whole week off to use up some unspent vacation hours.  Yesterday, I had slept since 10pmish, got up at 0430 and went to gym, came home and made some eggs and went back to bed.  Slept till 1630 in the afternoon and felt great.  I'm looking at working into my schedule a day each week to just sleep all day if I want, I know it isn't the greatest management, but I think would be better for me to plan for some extra sleep those busy weeks.  

Sorry, I've rambled, but I like coming here and seeing that everyone is still doing well and working out best for each of us.  I have the Well Fed first book, but on the recommendation here going to order the others.  I'm going to Thanksgiving at my cousin's house across country, we are going to connect in Sacramento but then head for Lake Tahoe for the holiday.  I was concerned, but got a text last night from him asking if I have grocery/alcohol requests.  When I said I'm off dairy and gluten and artificial ingredients as much as possible, and occ red wine only, turns out they feel same and are fine with it.  I feel a lot better, and am just going to stay with w30ish  until then.  

I have to say, @CorgiLover... the thought of doing BLE through the holidays was very depressing.  I think we both learned a little about portion control, but I agree with you that weighing salad is absurd.  Glad we both came to the same conclusion!

@SineadMon So far, the only chocolate I have tried is this: https://thrivemarket.com/skinny-dipped-dark-chocolate-cocoa-almonds. Not the healthiest of the products I purchased but these came free as a gift with my order and Shawn wanted to try them so I allowed myself to have six of them. They were really, really, really good! I'll let you know how the healthier ones are (i.e., the ones without refined sugars added) once I try them! I'm planning on Whole30 eating through Thursday at least. So maybe this weekend. LOL, I will make sure to report back though!

As for Paleo Running Momma recipes, here are the ones I've tried so far (they've all been amazing):

And here are a few more I plan to try: 

Haha, @kirbz it is good news for me.  I live in Tampa, haven't seen snow in years, and don't want to.  I grew up in the mountains of east Tennessee, and broke my hip in an icy parking lot going into work early.  My cousin, who now lives in Sacramento, grew up in New Hampshire.  When I told him I thought I still have cold weather clothes, he said "we don't have to go outside."  :)  

Good morning, everyone!

I have to say that I'm so much happier being off of BLE.  I fully intend to purchase Food Freedom Forever, but until then, I'm riding on the coattails of those who have already done so.  Since I quit BLE, I've kept my portions down, eliminated breakfast grains and maintained not snacking between meals.  I will enjoy myself over the holidays, eating things that I deem "worth it", but try to do so at meal times and mindfully eat small portions of said items.  

Have a great day, all!  

Welcome back on board @dmrob2009 :) I really think your brain and spirit will thank you for this.
Also, I've been meditating for a few months now - when I remember to do so - and I really enjoy it. Hopefully something you can take away from BLE (and the gratitude journal) to make it feel a little more worthwhile

Archived