Finished whole30, slightly disappointed

Emrov

Hi,

yesterday was the last day of my whole30. I followed all the guidelines, even the ones about IBS (no nuts, coffee, tomatoes, ...).

I was a good experience and I'm proud of my achievement. No coffee or chocolate for a month!!

However, I feel like it did not deliver on its promises. I haven't noticed an increase in energy and my stomach problems are not gone. I've actually felt quite sluggish, like I was missing something in my nutrition.

On the plus side, it has made me more aware of all the junk they put in processed food. And how grains give me cramps and "slow me down".

In conclusion, I will definitely keep eating more vegetables and protein, and limit my intake of grains (especially bread and pasta). I will also stay clear of most processed foods and sugar. And I will keep reading labels.

Whole30 has changed how I view nutrition and food, but left me wondering what I did wrong to not have felt the increase in energy. Most of all I'm disappointed my stomach problems did not get any better.

There could be a lot going on here.

You may be one of those people that need more than a whole30.

Maybe you were not eating enough proteins, veggies AND fats at every meal.

Were you eating any starchy veggies like butternut squash or sweet potato?

Noting the improvements you did make, it really sounds like more than one thing is happening. If you have had gut issues for a long time, maybe you have just started to see healing.

Just some thoughts!

• Moderators

What she said... Any time someone complains of low energy, I wonder if they are eating enough sweet potatoes, butternut squash, etc. because starchy veggies are an important energy source for active people. Also, serious gut problems can take months to resolve with a combination of clean eating, bone broth, probiotics in the form of sauerkraut, kombucha, kimchi, or even supplements, and sometimes digestive enzymes are needed for a transition period.

I eat sweet potatoes and broccoli for breakfast most mornings (with minced beef or lamb). I don't eat a lot of butternut squash though.

I'm a very active person, so I eat at least 4 times a day (complete meals) + post-workout cheat meal. I also drink a tablespoon of olive oil with a meal when I feel like i didn't get enough fats. So I'm pretty sure I'm getting enough protein and fats. My goal is to gain healthy weight by eating and exercising, and I have while staying at a low body fat percentage.

This last week has been very confusing as I have been bloated all week and have a ridiculous amount of (very smelly) gas. TMI, sorry.

I stopped the magnesium and vitamin D3 supplementing, hoping that might be the cause. Whole30 is supposed to help me get rid of these problems, not create them. That's what has me confused.

Maybe you are right and I do need to continue longer. I had a coffee and a waffle today (which tasted overly sweet after not having had sugar for 30 days). So I would be starting over again I guess...

The broccoli and other green leafy veggies could be contributing to your problems. Some folks with serious GI problems have problems with ANY veggie matter, the green leafy ones in general. Try cutting those and maybe other fodmaps out and see if you see any improvements?

kb's spot on here about it possibly needing more than 30 days. gut stuff is HARD

There's not that much variety left in vegetables if I need to stick to whole30 with IBS restrictions and no fodmaps though

But no choice if I want it to change i guess. Tough love like they say :)

I'll do some research on the fodmap diet

• Moderators

I eat a lot of dark leafy greens like kale, spinach, chard, etc., but I really get gas when I eat broccoli. I eat it regularly, but it makes me gassy. Not enough to be uncomfortable, but enough to notice.

I can't imagine D3 being a problem, but magnesium supplements can loosen stools until your body adjusts.

Cabbage does it for me. Which is sad, because I adore it sautéed with some garlic and onion. Or a homemade slaw, which I drown in vinegar. LOL

Are your veggies cooked? Raw can be hard to digest. I have to steam or blanch most everything.

I've read that overdosing D3 can lead to stomach problems. Gas and bloating haven't been a problem for me up until the last week of whole30 when I started D3 supplementing. I started magnesium and fish oil from day 1 (couldn't find D3). So they probably didn't cause it.

I steam all my vegetables except for lettuce and fennel. I'm going to do another month of whole30 and limit my fodmaps (especially broccoli and other cabbagy vegetables).

http://www.drgangemi.com/2011/08/fodmaps/

Try this re fodmaps,

there is a great sheet on what to have for paleo low fodmap style too

http://www.drgangemi.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/FODMAPs.pdf

I have had some really good results from my whole30 but not in the digestive area due to my fodmap issues... But I haven't been worse and sometimes better. I am continuing because I think a lot of my fodmap sensitivities will reduce/improve with time as I continue to eat a very low inflammation diet. My skin rash healed for awhile but has flared up again slightly but again so much better than when I was taking anti inflammatories for it daily for months.....

I am continuing.. I might add in some cocoa as a hot drink and some sugarless paleo treats though since I have passed the 'break the habit' stage.. I believe... But not in any hurry.

• 4 weeks later...

Healing crisis..Herxheimer reaction. You get worse before getting better. I bet you have some health issues you are unaware of. I suggest a visit to a good holistic practitioner. Have you ever been diagnosed with Candidasis? Taken antibiotics lately? That's another big issue that can cause problems.

Archived