Lunchbox ideas for kids

myhatt

Hi,

I am doing my best to feed my 4th and 6th grader foods that follow the Whole 9 plan. I do a great job at home but school lunches are a problem. They are getting tired of tuna and chicken salad, meat roll ups, and salads with grilled meat.

Please help!

Thank you!

My kids usually take black olives, carrot sticks, cherry tomato, cucumber, radishes, apple slices, banana, kale chips, sweet potato chips, some kind of paleo dip--either guacamole, red pepper dip or black olive dip. They also do applegate farms pepperoni or leftover rotissere chicken, hard boiled eggs, avacado with ham or turkey wrapped around it. There fav is the pepperoni and olives tho.

• 1 month later...

The "lunch" part is something I struggle with as well. I've made the rest of her "lunch" W30, but the protein is always a challenge for me. She loves lunch meat but I need to source out something approved and healthier. Maybe homemade chicken soup or chili would work as well. I freeze mine in batches.

The "lunch" part is something I struggle with as well. I've made the rest of her "lunch" W30, but the protein is always a challenge for me. She loves lunch meat but I need to source out something approved and healthier. Maybe homemade chicken soup or chili would work as well. I freeze mine in batches.

Our protein options usually rotate through: Applegate Farms hot dogs, tuna with homemade mayo, nut butter (with celery and apples), and a deli meat. When we do deli meat, I focus on finding the best quality that I can, but it's not always W30 compliant (they love Salami, which generally has dextrose). That's a compromise I'm willing to make for the sake of a lunch that gets eaten :)

I read a post in here about sweet potato fritters, and I immediately thought "lunch box"! I haven't been able to find grass fed pork near me, but I think scotch eggs would be a great lunch box option.

It's frustrating to me that my kids don't have access to a microwave at school. My daughter would eat leftovers every day if she could warm it up. What kind of thermos are you using? We haven't found one that works.

I found a few recipes for cold salads that I think will go over well too, over at: http://www.theclothesmakethegirl.com/category/recipes/salads/

We do a lot of leftovers in Thermoses too, just the ones you can buy anywhere. I fill mine with boiling water when I get up, so the Thermos is nice and hot when I put warmed-up leftovers in them. The kids say their food is still hot at lunch time.

For the kids, I occasionally make "Paleo" bread so they sometimes have a normal-looking lunch. They deserve a break sometimes, LOL! They take salmon salad or liverwurst fairly regularly. They also like prosciutto- or ham-wrapped avocado or hard-boiled eggs. Them ham-wrapped eggs are particularly yummy with mustard for dipping.

We also do salads, sometime with leftover grilled meat from supper and homemade Ranch dressing.

The Paleo parents, who wrote Eat Like A Dinosaur, have some good lunchbox ideas on their site. They've had several blog posts dedicated solely to packing school lunches.

I made tiny turkey burgers tonight, with the intention of putting them in the lunch boxes. Thinking some guac on the side, some sliced raw veggies, and a piece of fruit will make a tasty lunch!

We'll see- lately the veggies have been coming home uneaten. Bums me out, but I'm going to keep putting them in there.

Archived