whole30 while recovering from surgery

My husband had surgery on his shoulder Friday and I was wondering if anybody had experience with doing a whole30 while recovering from a surgery. If so, do you think it helped speed the recovery? Angel (my husband) started a strict whole30 on Wednesday. By strict, I mean that he has decided to not have any fruit. He doesn't want any form of sugar if he can avoid it. I made bone broth for the first time and had it ready for him on Friday, after the surgery. He is having 2 to 3 cups of that a day. We think that with such clean eating and the bone broth, he will heal quicker.

Are there any supplements I should have him take?

Also, the bone broth I'm using is from balanced bites. It's just the bones, garlic, salt and apple cider vinegar. Should I include vegetables when making it to make it more nutritious?

We bought a Harley on Thursday and we are both wanting a quick recovery so that we can ride it. lol

Priorities, right?

• Moderators

Eating the Whole30 way does promote healing, but you should not expect miracles. Healing after surgery takes time no matter how well you treat a body. The one thing I would emphasize is that post-surgery is no time to restrict calories in an attempt to speed weight loss. Your husband should eat plenty and rest fully to reduce stress on his body and support healing.

We aren't expecting miracles, but we are hoping his recovery is quicker this time than last time. He had the other shoulder repaired 8 yrs ago, long before we started eating so clean and healthy. He isn't restricting calories and he is getting lots of rest. So we are good in that department.

I was in the middle of my first Whole30 when I had surgery to remove the screws in my foot. They'd been 'installed' 3 months earlier when I was paleo, but not Whole30. Honestly, I didn't notice a difference in healing time between the two but perhaps had I been on a SAD for the first one, the difference might have been more apparent.

The one thing I did do was bring food to the actual surgery. The first time, they made me eat something and keep it down before they'd let me leave (I was under general anesthesia for both surgeries) so I came prepared with my own Whole30 approved baby food pouch and toasted coconut flakes the second time. The recovery RN said she'd never seen anyone do that before!

Archived