1st timer, starting November 1st!

PhoenixSarahzona

Hello Whole30 Family! 

I am starting the Whole30 lifestyle on Wednesday, November 1st. Yay! I just ordered The 30 Day Guide to Health and Food Freedom, and have a crock pot arriving tomorrow. 

I also just went through my cabinets and fridge to figure out what needs to be removed prior to Day 1. I have been programmed to think a lot of this stuff I need to pitch is healthy. Marketing can be so deceiving: organic, low sodium, low fat, sugar free, whole grain. I do however struggle with the idea that quinoa is bad for me. That might be one of my first reintroduction foods after the 30 days, to see of I notice any difference. 

I honestly don't know what will unveil as most challenging; alcohol, dairy, grains, sugar...? I considered myself fairly healthy overall, until noticing how incorporated all these foods are in my diet.

On a separate note, I am elated to have my mom as my accountability partner! Even with 3000 miles between us... we will be sharing stories everyday about what we're eating :) She starts on Saturday, and is simultaneously competing in a 30 day weight loss challenge at her gym. She has done Whole30 once before and already knows her biggest challenge will be drinking black coffee, not chewing gum, and eating 3 meals a day. None of which will be difficult for me. Mine will probably be wine, cheese, and tacos!

Hello,

I am starting my 1st w30 on Nov.1st as well. I am 51, mom to my adopted 16 and 14 year old daughters. I work for the worlds largest retailer where I walk about 20k steps a day, squat machine and stair master (as I call it) for 12 hour shifts. I also get dragged around my neighborhood by our 90 lb dog. I love the outdoors. My secret is that I chase rainbows. And...I play Pokemon Go everyday. It started as something to do while walking the dog.

My NSV are...I am hoping for less redness of my skin and for my joints to not ache all the time. Weight loss in my belly would be nice. I would also like to wear a dress without looking pregnant.

My biggest hurdle is going to be my sugar hydra. I actually read a canned tomatoe label...it had high fructose corn syrup. Eating single ingredient food is the only way I see to be grain and sugar free. I have not been eating grains since March 2017 and I also quit smoking after 38 years. Woop woop! 

Back to cleaning out my cupboards.

Charli

Hi Charli,

Thanks for responding to my post. Congrats on quitting smoking!! If you can do that I'm sure you will be successful with whole30. Can I also tell you how envious I am that you have a job that keeps you active!? I work in an office. My extent of walking is from my office to the conference room and back to my office. I do travel about 30% of the time, which is nice. Affords me the opportunity to get steps in as I march through airports. 

Keep me posted on your whole30 journey.  Good luck!

Sarah

Hello 

i will also be starting on November 1st. I am scarred that I’m going to fail but really excited to give it a shot. I have a very stressful job, I had a baby about 5 months ago and I feel like I have a million things going on but I need to do this. I’m happy to read everyone’s post and I’m hoping when the going get Pugh reading post will give me the strength to keep moving forward. 

Happy to be on this journey with my amazing daughter, Sarah! If our mutual desire to make health rise to the top of our priorities, also bridges the 3000-mile gap between us, I'll take it!! You are 100% right, coffee with anything but milk, giving up gum and actually eating 3 meals a day will be challenging for me but as Melissa says, "This isn't hard, we have done way harder things!" Thinking about all of those harder things we have experienced gives me encouragement that we can definitely do this!

The Whole30 family sure seems like a fantastic group of people to add to our lives. Excited to see where this journey takes us! 

How many tacos are you having this weekend, Sarah? ;) 

Love you,

Mom (Sheryl)

Calling all Whole30 supporters...

I have been renting a two bedroom apartment from an older friend of mine for about a year. Today she came back to visit for the weekend, only to spring it on me that she's not visiting... she's moving in and staying until June. As if that wasn't enough of a surprise, when I told her about Whole30 she was completely unsupportive. Saying that our lifestyles will not be in sync and 'how could I do this the month of her birthday?!'.  She's Persian, so she makes a lot of delicious rice dishes and we've always enjoyed our wine together. I told her this is already difficult enough and I need the people in my life to be supportive (especially her, since she's apparently living with me now!).  She went on to say that she doesn't believe in 'nutrition fads' and thinks it takes away from the pleasures of life. Instead she believes in being grateful for what the universe has given us and not living such a rigid life. I'm trying to stay positive. But sheesh, I had no idea how challenging it would be to deal with the disbelievers, and I haven't even started yet!

Hi all, I'm starting November 6th, as have a stressful week next week, so thought I'd say hi!

I'm excited to be doing it, and having binge-read the book in a day, I'm now halfway through second read and it's already having an impact on what I'm eating.

Initially I thought no booze was going to be my biggest challenge until it dawned on me that I drink buckets of tea with milk and SWEETENERS every day!  THIS is going to be my biggest challenge!

I'm doing it alone, so will be on the forum loads for moral support.

Sarah, your friend is going to make it tough but don't let her pull you down!

On 10/28/2017 at 12:20 AM, PhoenixSarahzona said:

I have been renting a two bedroom apartment from an older friend of mine for about a year. Today she came back to visit for the weekend, only to spring it on me that she's not visiting... she's moving in and staying until June. As if that wasn't enough of a surprise, when I told her about Whole30 she was completely unsupportive. Saying that our lifestyles will not be in sync and 'how could I do this the month of her birthday?!'.  She's Persian, so she makes a lot of delicious rice dishes and we've always enjoyed our wine together. I told her this is already difficult enough and I need the people in my life to be supportive (especially her, since she's apparently living with me now!).  She went on to say that she doesn't believe in 'nutrition fads' and thinks it takes away from the pleasures of life. Instead she believes in being grateful for what the universe has given us and not living such a rigid life. I'm trying to stay positive. But sheesh, I had no idea how challenging it would be to deal with the disbelievers, and I haven't even started yet!

I'm sorry.  You say she just told you she was moving in?

I'd pull that welcome mat back and stow  it away.

Hey Everyone,

I will also be starting the Whole30 on November 6 (crazy busy week of travel and making a wedding cake….so it will be best to start afterwards.

This is my second Whole 30 (or maybe technically my 4th? i don't know how to define the other). I started my first Whole30 in February of 2016 and quickly noticed how amazing I felt both physically and mentally. Because I felt so good and have struggled with my weight and PCOS for pretty much all my life I continued on for 90 days in total (thats why I'm not sure if i count this as my 4th, but it doesn't matter lol). It was amazing!! I had a new zest for life, lots of energy, better moods and outlook. My anxiety was under control and I had lost 30lbs!! Unfortunately over the next year a lot of stress was piled on and I went back to eating sugar to deal with it.  Things have been especially stressful recently and my anxiety is back in full force. I have also put my weight back on and have 0 motivation to get myself to the gym. This is why I have decided that it is time to get back on the Whole30. Back following something that I know works for me. 

I really can't wait to get back on track. I participated in the Forum for my first 30 days last time and found it to be a great way to stay accountable. I looks forward to being on this journey with you all and sharing some recipes too!

I have some friends who have said they were interested in the Whole30, but I am unsure if they will follow through. I completed my Whole90 solo last time, so I am not too concerned.

Time for me to start meal planning!

Lets do this everyone!!!!

Jess

On 10/28/2017 at 2:20 AM, PhoenixSarahzona said:

That's great these are her beliefs, but what about yours? Why does she get to decide your diet beliefs are invalid because they don't line up with hers?

Hi everyone, I started on Sunday, but that was before I realized that I already put the cute stickers I'd bought for my food tracking planner in to start my whole30 on the 1st. So it looks like I'm just finishing up day 2 of my whole33. :)

I've tried to start this program several times before, but have never made it more than a week. Like you guys, Sarah and Noriah, I travel a lot, and I've always accepted that as an excuse for not sticking to the plan. This time will be different! I've never been on the forum before for support, so I'm really looking forward to having a bunch of accountabilibuddies.

Good luck, all. Let's rock this!

Sierra

Hi everyone!

I will also be starting the Whole30 for the first time on the 1st. I've always fantasized about a diet without added sugar and other junk food and I think this is the best program to help keep me on track with that. My biggest worry is being tempted by food around the house. I'm currently living with my mom and my aunt, who is mentally handicapped, and junk food is a big part of their diets, and something I have tried to eliminate from the house for years. Asking my mom to stop buying Cheetos Puffs and Pringles at the store will not result in anything, but I am looking at this instead as just another obstacle I will face in the next 30 days. Who knows - maybe my Whole30 meals will even squash the cravings and help me finally have the power I want over my food. 

I also worry about going out for events, but mainly Thanksgiving. I know I'm doing it to myself given I chose the start date, but I'm open to suggestions for those of you who visit relatives for TG and worry about being rude/rejecting their food/bringing your own Whole30 approved meal to the Thanksgiving table. I know it's a little ways away, but it is something all of us will have to deal with in the coming weeks!

Like many of you, I have never joined a forum like this and I hope putting my thoughts out in the open will do what the Hartwigs say it will! I'm currently meal prepping with this cute little print out meal planner (attached) I found online.

Let's grow together and show food who's boss!

menu-planner.pdf

Hi Fellow Travellers,

I’d love to join you all on this journey!

I managed to finish 2 whole30s about 2 years ago. From day 16 on I started to feel great. I just couldn’t stop smiling.

That’s the exact thing I’m going for : this feeling of thinking:  why am I smiling? while cycling through town.

Let’s do this together!

Hilty

On 28/10/2017 at 9:20 AM, PhoenixSarahzona said:

Just go for it!

Keep focus on you goal and don’t look back. You’re the one with a whole forum of whole30ers behind you!

Love,

Hilty

Hello! 
My husband and I started today, Nov. 1st! I'm both excited and intimated. As I'm typing this, I just realized I already failed. :(  I chewed gum today without even realizing it had sugar. The crazy part is that I know that gum has sugar-I just didn't think about it. I think my biggest fear will be consuming a food without stopping to think about what is going into my mouth. I am a teacher so my day is "go, go, go" all day long. My lunch is at 10:30 am this year :o I know! I am not sure how to balance meal 1 and meal 2. I eat breakfast at 8 am, but if I eat Whole30 approved breakfast portion then I am not hungry by 10: 30 am. I need to figure out how to make it work between these two meals and the huge gap between lunch and dinner where I would have usually snacked like nobody's business before starting Whole30. 

Although I feel like a failure on day 1, gotta stay positive!  

Fantastic! Congratulations on committing to you! On quinoa....everyone’s different of course but I recently tried reintroducing quinoa after many years and whoah. Stomach craziness! I’ll be interested how it works for you if and when you reintroduce it. And I’ve read in Robb Wolf’s materials on Paleo that it’s pretty much the Satan Of grains in terms of what it does to the gut, even though it seems so healthy! But first, your 30 Days! May they be easy and happy!

No hate at all! Honestly, I bought the book last year planning on a Jan 1 start and have successfully come up with excuses multiple times about why I can't stick to it longer than a week (travel, not wanting to be high maintenance at a restaurant, not wanting to refuse a friend's offer of homemade goodies...). I've been freaking out a little about two 4-day weekend trips I have coming up and how I'll navigate those (Veterans' Day weekend and Thanksgiving). So far I'm just diving in and planning on sticking to it. I also look at it as a lifestyle change, however, and I think you could start incorporating whole30 changes into your life even if you aren't "taking the plunge" in Nov. Example: start cooking more meals at home where you know all the ingredients that go into it, or focus on eating three well-balanced (whole30-ish standard) meals per day. There are so many good changes you can adapt that let you have pie on Thanksgiving and not worry about feeling like you failed :)

Good luck, and I hope stay a part of this thread!

I survivwd day 1! Hardest part...my kids...lets get this...here mom have a (halloween candy). Just on and on. Only managed 2 meals due to kids having practice, drama, library run, ect. Cant wait to go to work. New schedule and position so now to figure out meal times. Almost completed my meal plan. Fortunately I have lots of stuff I can through together. 

On to day 2. Stay strong. Do not beat yourselves up. Poo on your roommate and any negative people.

Today is a good day!

Charli

Noria-

You're ready to start when you're ready!  If holiday feasts would be too distracting, then wait til they're over.  Great to work on adding more good stuff and reducing the not good stuff.  But remember, the primary focus of this program is to be able identify what is not good for your system.

I started on a whim without planning to.  I had read the stuff online and printed out the worksheets from the W30 website, but sat on it for a few weeks.  One evening, I realized that I hadn't made any snack-craving purchases all day and decided the next morning would be day 1.

Hi guys, I started 10/30 but can't find a group for then, so I'm joining here:) 

I am on day 4 and going to bed hungry because I'm afraid of making a bad choice, or having to eat more meat :(

...I did drink some coconut milk/Unsweet almond milk right before bed so my stomach would stop grueling!

• Moderators
3 hours ago, HMH said:

I am on day 4 and going to bed hungry because I'm afraid of making a bad choice, or having to eat more meat :(

...I did drink some coconut milk/Unsweet almond milk right before bed so my stomach would stop grueling!

You really don't need to be hungry during your Whole30. It can be helpful to set aside time once or twice a week to cook batches of food, so you've always got something in the fridge. On this page, there's a link to an article called The Method Behind My Madness and one called No Recipe Required, they both have some ideas you might find helpful:   https://meljoulwan.com/paleo-101/

If you're not used to eating this much meat, you can always have eggs, or fish might be a little less meaty feeling if it's a texture issue. There's also some tips here that might help:   http://whole9life.com/2013/02/eating-meat-a-primer-for-the-meat-challenged-2/

20 hours ago, HMH said:

Random question: is it because you don't like meat normally, or just because you feel like you've been eating too much of the same thing? I totally get that way with eggs. I'll go through phases where I LOVE them, and then I get to a point where just the idea of eating another egg is so blah that I'd rather not eat.  Going to bed hungry is setting yourself up to make a bad choice, though.

There are plenty of other options. Here's some examples of things I usually have on hand (excluding the non-compliant options, of course):

1. Sliced apple with almond or sunflower seed butter and a sprinkle of cinnamon.

2. A jar / can or container of olives (black, green, you name it, I love it).

3. Mixed nuts.  (A handful before bed can stave off hunger, but per the guidelines, you shouldn't eat nuts everyday. Goes for the almond butter, too.)

4. Tuna in olive oil. (It took me a while and a few taste tests to find a brand I liked, but it's one of the few meats that I can enjoy all the time without being tired of it or a little turned off by the idea of eating more meat.)

5. And I always have eggs, which are easy to cook up with some clarified butter or ghee for a protein packed snack.

Speaking of, I'm about to cook up a couple of fried eggs with some sauteed spinach. It's been a long week, and I'm super glad it's over. I'm planning to host a couple friends for dinner on Sunday night. It's one of the solutions I've come up with to keep my social life going. I think I'm going to make a whole30 compliant chicken Tikka Masala recipe that I found online. I have some rice left over that a friend who was moving gave me, and I rarely eat rice (especially not this month!), so I may use this as an excuse to get rid of it. I've also been toying with the idea of venturing into dessert territory for my guests, but I think that would be too hard for me to resist, so I'll probably just put together a fruit and nut tray for after dinner nibbles.  Finishing up day 3 and I haven't yet experienced any negative symptoms. I'm holding my breath and crossing my fingers that I don't wake up tomorrow ready to kill all the things because I'm headed to work with some religious sisters I know, and I'd hate for that to be ruined. Hope everyone else is doing awesomely!

Hay Yall

Day 2 made me realize i am not as prepared as I thought I was. Meal planning is so ... I thought I was good at it. So I am still on track just having to wing a few times due to my wacky schedule. Thank goodness for bananas when in a store and realizing your hungry. Safe food not needing washed. 

Well off to work.

Oh I have only snapped at fools standing around once...and told the rude stinky girl that she needs a shower and manners. That might just be me and not w30 related.

Trust your gut and stay strong. 

Charli

Hay Y'all

Day 3 was a breeze. I think it is because of the new position at work. I put on 27,640 steps. I am also lifting all of the things people desire so plenty of strength training. Muscles are tender.

I am missing flavored drinks. Is fruit in water ok. Just for flavor. 

I remember reading that we are not supposed to snack between meals. What do Y'all do on breaks from work. I am surrounded by everyone eating junk at work. I did have a bowl of grapes last night. 

My happy thought today is...Actually I Can.

Stay strong...day 4 awaits

Charli

On 10/28/2017 at 12:20 AM, PhoenixSarahzona said:

Sarah we havent heard from you. Are you still with us.

Charli

Archived