Plantain crackers - no flour

YogaMomNYC

This recipe - compliant? https://www.thepaleomom.com/plantain-crackers-nut-free-egg-free/   Crackers are not on the "do not eat list" on this page: https://whole30.com/whole30-program-rules/.  The ingredients (plantains, coconut oil, spices) are no different than if I simply sliced the plantains thinly and called them "chips," so it just seems silly to say they aren't compliant because they are blended into a slurry and baked. After all, blending cauliflower into a slurry is one of the staples of the paleo diet.  Am I cheating here?  They have gotten me through every July 4 and Superbowl party I've been to for years, and take so long to make I hardly ever do, so there is no SWYPO habit issues in the making.

PS.  I apologize for posting what I know is probably a redundant question, but the search function does not work in Chrome or Safari, so I cannot search for any prior answer to this type of question.  Please fix this issue!

47 minutes ago, YogaMomNYC said:

PS.  I apologize for posting what I know is probably a redundant question, but the search function does not work in Chrome or Safari, so I cannot search for any prior answer to this type of question.  Please fix this issue!

It's must easier to use Google rather than the search function in the forum. If you Google "Whole30 + plantain crackers" or something else it will bring up relevant forum threads.

• Moderators

This is really a gray area because as you say, you could slice them thin and bake them, and it's the same number of ingredients but 1/2 cup of fat to two plantains is a LOT and probably gets them much more like crackers than the sliced vegetable so I personally would say to save these for after your Whole30.

I'd say it's different because there's a lot more processing involved. In making your own plantain chips (which I totally did during Whole30) you're thinly slicing the plantain, maybe tossing it with a little oil, sprinkling on some seasoning and baking. For these crackers, you have to puree the plantain with the fat and then do some baking, cutting, and baking again. 

It's the cracker equivalent of the banana+egg pancake situation. You can't puree a banana with eggs to make pancakes, so it stands to reason that pureeing plantains (it's like a banana!) with a fat (like eggs but with none of the protein!) and making crackers is a no-go.

Archived