Starting with new determination

Shortqtpie

I did my first Whole30 in October (before I had a chance to read ISWF). I had some success with it (lost a couple pounds) and felt great. But even whn trying to maintain control through the holidays, I have succomed to my old habits- snacking, sugar dragons, and office treats. I feel crummy for losing what I gained in my first Whole30 but I definitely take responsibility for my actions. As D&M say- Its my choice for my body and my life. I finally got a copy and read the whole ISWF- and I finally get why my body has been having so many issues losing weight. The whole non-fat, low-fat, whole-grain stuff, plus constant restricting and crazy exercise fads just werent doing it and are not the way to a healthy body and life! I am on the right track now and plan to start my next Whole30 (more than likely a Whole60) and plan to keep up this lifestyle for good! My biggest downfall has been sugar cravings- any good tips for tackling those when my brain screams- must have Reeses!!

My story mirrors yours quite closely. Why oh why must the Reeses be SOOOO delicious???!!! :). I suffer from sugar cravings as well, but find that when I have enough fat and protein, they aren't as bad. And I have read that in other posts as well, so I'm thinking that works for quite a few others too. I plan on going longer than 30 days next time as well because my sugar dragon got smaller, but he was definitely still there (and waiting patiently for me to finish my Whole30 so he could pounce again). I wish you luck on yours and look forward to reading your success story!

Myself and my husband are both serious sugar addicts...and I use the word addict in the true sense. I believe that we will always be addicted and like the alcoholic who can't just have one drink without back sliding, I doubt we will ever be able to eat candies or chocolates ever again with "relapsing". I think for the sugar addicted 30 days isn't enough especially if a large part of your diet was sugar before. A W45 or W60 is what these people need to rid the cravings and then after that once on maintenance never touching them again....that is the cold hard reality.

I took a long ramp up approach so my cravings weren't awful but the first couple days were terrible for my husband. He was literally going through withdrawl. I found him laying on the kitchen floor the second day with his eyes closed and he looked up at me and told me he was mentally eating a Mars bar. He was in deep. I tried to encourage him NOT to mentally engage in eating those things because that just puts undue stress on the body and doesn't help the healing process.

What worked for him was finding a compliant tea that he really loved (a very spicy clove and cinnamon one) and for the first week whenever he had a sugar craving he would make a tea. It gave his hands and mind something to, the ritual of making the tea. He drank A LOT of tea that first week. He is on Day 17 today and admitted that he still has intense cravings but I have never caught him laying on the kitchen floor since that first time. I would say his cravings are much more managable but for sure not gone. For him his cravings are tied to stress...he was feeling anxious about work then a couple minutes later he told me he wanted a sugary non-compliant tea we still have (toasted marshmallow from David's Tea....sooooo good!). I helped him realize that he had just told me he was feeling anxious about work so that was probably why he wanted the sugary tea (he's come a loooooong way from the 2lb bag of M&Ms which would have been his first go-to stress food). I think a huge part of this is mental and figuring out what your own personal triggers are.

Best of luck taming your sugar dragon and know you aren't alone!

I can relate to this, I completed my first whole 30 in October and felt fantastic, and mostly kept up my new good habits through November too, but in the last few weeks I have given in to sugar cravings a few times and can feel myself sliding... I decided this evening to do a quick whole5 days before Christmas Eve and Christmas Day just to rein things in a little, and am starting a whole30 again on January 1st. Maybe I'll go for longer this time...anyways I definitely think I'm all or nothing with sugar - I feel great when I eradicate it and I don't crave it, but once I have a tiny amount it opens the floodgates!

As with any addiction.... The question to ask yourself is: is what I'm about to do going to hurt me or someone else.... OK it's candy,not crack...but the addiction is just as real, and yes in the long run, eating sugary foods more than likely leads to a host of medical problems....

As for me... I refuse to let anything( good or bad) control me or my life... So. Just say no!

Thanks everyone! Its very comforting to know I am not alone, and all this advice is great! Nutshell- I am also doing a quick Whole5-ish before Christmas and new years. MJam- I do have a couple favorite teas, but will definitely try more flavors to find THE one to help with my cravings- great idea! Fenderbender- I like that notion- to refuse to let anything control my life. Especially something as teeny and insignificant as sugar!!

Myself and my husband are both serious sugar addicts...and I use the word addict in the true sense. I believe that we will always be addicted and like the alcoholic who can't just have one drink without back sliding, I doubt we will ever be able to eat candies or chocolates ever again with "relapsing". I think for the sugar addicted 30 days isn't enough especially if a large part of your diet was sugar before. A W45 or W60 is what these people need to rid the cravings and then after that once on maintenance never touching them again....that is the cold hard reality.

I took a long ramp up approach so my cravings weren't awful but the first couple days were terrible for my husband. He was literally going through withdrawl. I found him laying on the kitchen floor the second day with his eyes closed and he looked up at me and told me he was mentally eating a Mars bar. He was in deep. I tried to encourage him NOT to mentally engage in eating those things because that just puts undue stress on the body and doesn't help the healing process.

What worked for him was finding a compliant tea that he really loved (a very spicy clove and cinnamon one) and for the first week whenever he had a sugar craving he would make a tea. It gave his hands and mind something to, the ritual of making the tea. He drank A LOT of tea that first week. He is on Day 17 today and admitted that he still has intense cravings but I have never caught him laying on the kitchen floor since that first time. I would say his cravings are much more managable but for sure not gone. For him his cravings are tied to stress...he was feeling anxious about work then a couple minutes later he told me he wanted a sugary non-compliant tea we still have (toasted marshmallow from David's Tea....sooooo good!). I helped him realize that he had just told me he was feeling anxious about work so that was probably why he wanted the sugary tea (he's come a loooooong way from the 2lb bag of M&Ms which would have been his first go-to stress food). I think a huge part of this is mental and figuring out what your own personal triggers are.

Best of luck taming your sugar dragon and know you aren't alone!

Thank you for this. :)

I feel so bloated after having some homemade fruit oatmeal for lunch! eurgh! sugar=sugar=sugar....I gotta keep that sugar dragon under lock and key! Also decided to cut out nuts and nut butter in my Jan whole30, I have no self control with almond butter lol!

Archived