Ways to combat symptoms?

Carly J

After Whole30 and the reintroduction, I know I have moderate issues with all grains (slightly more with gluten) and more intense reactions to dairy. My daily diet is pretty clean, however our social commitments make it unrealistic to avoid those items 100% of the time. Are there any supplements out there that can help reduce my reactions when I need to eat something "naughty"? Such as anti-inflammatory supplements? I've heard Plexus is a good way to combat reactions, but it's expensive! I don't plan on relying on a supplement to feel energized/unhealthy, but something to do along with a mostly clean diet would be awesome! 

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Carly J said:

After Whole30 and the reintroduction, I know I have moderate issues with all grains (slightly more with gluten) and more intense reactions to dairy. My daily diet is pretty clean, however our social commitments make it unrealistic to avoid those items 100% of the time. Are there any supplements out there that can help reduce my reactions when I need to eat something "naughty"? Such as anti-inflammatory supplements? I've heard Plexus is a good way to combat reactions, but it's expensive! I don't plan on relying on a supplement to feel energized/unhealthy, but something to do along with a mostly clean diet would be awesome! 

We don't have recommendations for what types of pills or supplements you can take to eat things you know do not react well with your body... honestly I can't eat wheat at all because it makes me so sad and tired for a week after that any social situation is not worth it to me, pills to potentially combat the symptoms or not.  I would do my best if I was you to try and avoid things that don't work for you rather than eating them and spending additional money on remedies for the side effects.

Thank you for your answer! Just being fully honest here, I do in social settings (sometimes if it's a holiday I treat myself), avoid the troublesome foods, but people host us frequently, and I can't ask every person who cooks for me (sometimes a whole group!) dinner that is Whole30 compliant. I am perfectly fine with spending the extra money if it means I can better balance all of my values. So if anyone has any suggestions, I'd greatly appreciate it! 

I just read about Plexus Slim on their website.  It reads to be a daily thing that takes 30-60 days to start to see results, not something to take as needed.  For what it claims to do is the same as what clean eating (W30) does.

It kinda sounds like a miracle fuel additive that gives your car better MPG while running on crappy gas and leadfooting in stop & go traffic!

For a long time, I had GERD/ acid reflux and was on daily medication for it.  A few days in to W30, I stopped taking the Prevacid as I no longer have those issues.  If I were to eat 'naughty' for a meal, Id have the med as a go to.  In fact, today is my oatmeal re-intro, and with two meals of steel cut oats, Ive started to get a bit of the acid back, so I took a prevacid.

W30 has given me the awareness to deal with the cause rather than mask a symptom.

Thanks for your response! I do fully agree that saying "no" to the source is always the best option when you can. Realistically though, we all know there are occasions when you will eat something off plan, and there's nothing wrong with that! So I was curious if there was something out there to help in those situations. Eating Whole30 100% of the time may be the healthiest, but not always best. I'm okay with taking something daily it it meant feeling somewhat better after Christmas, a wedding, when someone has me over for supper, etc...

• 2 weeks later...

Rather than looking for a fix-all supplement, why not decide when a food is "worth it," and just deal with the consequences? I have a severe dairy intolerance, so it is a very rare occasion when it's "worth it" to me. Those in my social circle know, and understand. There are no hurt feelings if I can't eat something they've provided.

Archived