Confused about coconut oil vs. olive oil vs. ghee

Tricia561

Hi, 

i am almost through my first week of the program and am using the Real Foods app to help plan my meals. I have noticed that most of the recipes it gave me call for coconut oil…I have gone through 3/4 of a jar already!  So I googled coconut oil vs. olive oil and it seems like most websites are saying that while coconut oil is ok in small amounts, olive oil is much better. So from now on should I substitute olive oil for the coconut oil in most of the recipes?  And what about ghee?  I had never heard of it until now and got a container but have not used it. Can that be a substitute as well?  And if so, which one is better?

I'm really nervous that I did this whole first week wrong.  I am feeling better, a little more energy, surprisingly no cravings, and each meal fills me up, but part of my reason for doing this was also weight loss, and I'm worried that because of all the coconut oil that I ruined that for this first week.  Especially because, I know this sounds strange, but this first week has felt super easy.   It makes me think I have done something wrong.  I used to eat lots of sugar, carbs, fast food, etc so I thought I would have difficulties this first week, but there's been none. It sounds funny to say that I think I am doing something wrong because it's been easy!

I alternate my cooking sessions between coconut oil and EV olive oil.  Don't worry about the oil messing things up.  It sounds like what you're experiencing already, you're doing it right!  I did my 30 days by the book (ISWF) without over analysing it.  I had to tweak some things, but it was easy for me too.  Never did I think I was doing something wrong.

Dont use weight loss as a motivator for this program as it wasn't designed for that.  Some people do and some don't.  The real benefits / goals of W30 are more beneficial than that.

>Real Foods app

Haven't used the app -- double check that the recipes you're using are Whole30-compliant.

>and it seems like most websites are saying that while coconut oil is ok in small amounts, olive oil is much better.

First I'm hearing of this. What is "most websites"?  Sounds like it might possibly be based on outdated "saturated fat is bad" information?

>So from now on should I substitute olive oil for the coconut oil in most of the recipes?

Coconut oil can have a different flavor than olive oil, so if a recipe is designed for coconut oil it might not taste as intended if you swap out.

>and I'm worried that because of all the coconut oil that I ruined that for this first week. 

If you sub oils as you're wondering about, the amount of "all the coconut oil" would still be the same amount of the other oil.  The Whole30 template recommended quantity of fat per meal is 1-2 thumbs worth, regardless if it's coconut, olive, avocado, etc. https://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-meal-planning.pdf

15 hours ago, Tricia561 said:

Hi, 

i am almost through my first week of the program and am using the Real Foods app to help plan my meals. I have noticed that most of the recipes it gave me call for coconut oil…I have gone through 3/4 of a jar already!  So I googled coconut oil vs. olive oil and it seems like most websites are saying that while coconut oil is ok in small amounts, olive oil is much better. So from now on should I substitute olive oil for the coconut oil in most of the recipes?  And what about ghee?  I had never heard of it until now and got a container but have not used it. Can that be a substitute as well?  And if so, which one is better?

I'm really nervous that I did this whole first week wrong.  I am feeling better, a little more energy, surprisingly no cravings, and each meal fills me up, but part of my reason for doing this was also weight loss, and I'm worried that because of all the coconut oil that I ruined that for this first week.  Especially because, I know this sounds strange, but this first week has felt super easy.   It makes me think I have done something wrong.  I used to eat lots of sugar, carbs, fast food, etc so I thought I would have difficulties this first week, but there's been none. It sounds funny to say that I think I am doing something wrong because it's been easy!

Coconut oil and ghee have a much higher smoke point so they're better for sauteeing and roasting (I think). That's probably why most w30 recipes use those for cooking and use olive oil for dressings. Not sure exactly why a low smoke point is bad but you could certainly Google it, or a moderator with more w30 science knowledge will be able to weigh in :) 

• Moderators
2 hours ago, racheleats said:

. Not sure exactly why a low smoke point is bad but you could certainly Google it, or a moderator with more w30 science knowledge will be able to weigh in :) 

The smoke point of an oil is the temperature at which the oil starts breaking down... the lower the smoke point, the less heat you need to damage the molecules... Here's a good article if you want to read a bit more about it

http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/05/cooking-fats-101-whats-a-smoke-point-and-why-does-it-matter.html

3 minutes ago, SugarcubeOD said:

The smoke point of an oil is the temperature at which the oil starts breaking down... the lower the smoke point, the less heat you need to damage the molecules... Here's a good article if you want to read a bit more about it

http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/05/cooking-fats-101-whats-a-smoke-point-and-why-does-it-matter.html

Always coming through! Thank you :) 

If you're concerned about the health impacts of coconut oil, let me first say be careful what you read. Recently, the American Heart Association - an organization that has always had a vegan slant - claimed a bunch of negative things about coconut oil that were, once again, not actually based on science. So, of course, many "health" blogs and news sites are running with this currently as it is a popular news topic. Many times, blogs or articles like this are reprinted or paraphrased without the author actually researching what they are writing about. News sites will often just go off the press release the AHA put out, and some blogs will just go off the news articles they read - no one is working very hard to understand or verify the information. I used to make extra income on top of my journalism job basically rewording press releases into printable news stories. You would be surprised how much of your news is this, particularly news about health topics. 

However, there is a fantastic book that I think ever single American should read, "The Big Fat Surprise." It explains how we wound up with the policies we have around nutrition and the faulty science that got us there. It also breaks down the real science. If you're confused about what fats you should be eating and why, this is an important read for you. 

• 1 month later...

I know the whole 30 is not a weight loss program and I am not doing it for only that reason. The first one I did truly changed how I eat and educated me so much and gave me tremendous insight. BUT.... I do need to lose weight and if w30 doesn’t do that for me, what the heck will? My doctor recommends Weight Watchers, but I’ve done that and there is absolutely no way I would go back.  How should I eat to lose about 50 pounds?

• Moderators
45 minutes ago, Peekiesmom said:

I know the whole 30 is not a weight loss program and I am not doing it for only that reason. The first one I did truly changed how I eat and educated me so much and gave me tremendous insight. BUT.... I do need to lose weight and if w30 doesn’t do that for me, what the heck will? My doctor recommends Weight Watchers, but I’ve done that and there is absolutely no way I would go back.  How should I eat to lose about 50 pounds?

Usually getting rid of the standard american diet foods (processed, super naturally flavored for addiction etc) can result in weight loss... honestly tho, getting your body healthy and having your hormones straightened out, which the Whole30 helps contribute to is going to be huge in getting you to where you want to be.  We cannot and will not offer hacks for how to change the Whole30 program or template to make this a weight loss diet, so to answer your question of 'how should I eat to lose about 50 pounds', the answer is feed your body healthy, nourishing food devoid of chemicals, inflammatory substances and addictive properties and concentrate on being healthy with food and with your relationship with food.... the rest follows.

Archived