January start, based in New Zealand

Leah1991

Hi everyone,

I'm starting my first Whole30 on Jan 3rd (my partner's birthday is the 2nd so I had to wait for that to be over haha) and am a little nervous! I live in New Zealand and am worried I'm going to struggle to find compliant foods as easily. I really want to get nutpods for my coffee but don't know where I can get a substitute here, I checked their website and they don't ship to NZ. I was looking at collagen peptides as well but the VitalProtein shipping to NZ is a LOT.

Is there anyone on here from NZ that has had success finding good Whole30 products?

Thanks team!

Leah.

• Administrators

Hi @Leah1991 - welcome! I totally understand the pull to buy up all the stuff that Whole30 markets as helpful/needed/handy during Whole30. But being from Canada where, insanely, it is almost as cost and goods prohibitive as being across the ocean, I would tell you that you don't need all (or any) of that.

Nutpods: find an almond or coconut milk that is compliant or wean yourself onto black coffee or no coffee
Collagen: handy, but you can get the exact same results by regular consumption of bone broth which you can easily and cheaply make yourself
The Rest of the Convenience Foods: hard boiled eggs, burger patties, homemade mayo, olives etc. 

Honestly, you don't need the stuff that they market on the social media feeds. Keep it simple. Meat/eggs/fish, lots of veggies, some fruits and the good fats. You shouldn't really have trouble finding any of that! :) 

Thanks @kirbz and @ladyshanny for such quick replies!

I am following both Whole30 and Whole30 Recipes on Intstagram and have requested the cook book from my library, so I should be ok for proper meals I hope! It is mainly the coffee side, I'm not super reliant on it, I've only recently started drinking it and have almost weaned myself off the sugar!! It is just nice to have I guess, maybe I'll try adding almond or coconut milk. I have done the bulletproof coffee before, I could just go back to that (I just had to add a teaspoon of honey in so we'll see haha).

Good to know I don't really need the collagen, I just noticed that both Instagram stories this morning were promoting putting it in coffee. I thought I had found it nice and cheap through the company my partner gets his protein from but they put sweetener in it! Probably just give it a miss then.

Okay, I'll keep it simple :) Not having just a bowl of muesli for breakfast is sure going to be interesting!

Thanks!!

• 1 month later...

Hi Leah I’m currently doing the whole 30 this month also in NZ. (Day 15 today)

Im based in Auckland. 

Ive ordered vital proteins from Australia  checkout http://emporioorganico.com.au/

i invested in several items to make shipping worth it. But you can also buy Great Lakes collagen hydrolosate via pharmacyonline.co.nz

I bought some compliant creamer which is loaded with collagen from vital proteins. Makes coffee bearable with nut milk. 

I’ve found a compliant nut milk - Sanitarium So Good Almond Coconut Unsweetened,  no nasties in it  it’s the only one without carrageenan or other baddies. 

I’ve found some bubbly waters with no sweetness but natural flavourings  and cans of La Croix bubbly water - peach pear is good.

Hopefully this some help and you’re going strong.

Hey SuzQNZ, so good to hear from someone else in Auckland! I've just hit day 15 today :) 

Thanks for that link, I was trying to figure out how I could get vital proteins here, I really want to try their collagen creamer. I have just been putting coconut milk in my coffee, but would like to add a little bit more flavour.

I have a Soda Stream at home so that side of it isn't too bad, but I definitely contemplate the La Croix every time I'm at Countdown haha. 

Have you seen Milk Frothers anywhere? My parents had one a few years ago before they upgraded to a real coffee machine, but I really want to get one so I can make "bulletproof" style coffee in a mug. I thought they would be at Briscoes or even New World at a stretch, but I haven't found them anywhere :(

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/13/2017 at 12:20 PM, Leah1991 said:

Hi everyone,

I'm starting my first Whole30 on Jan 3rd (my partner's birthday is the 2nd so I had to wait for that to be over haha) and am a little nervous! I live in New Zealand and am worried I'm going to struggle to find compliant foods as easily. I really want to get nutpods for my coffee but don't know where I can get a substitute here, I checked their website and they don't ship to NZ. I was looking at collagen peptides as well but the VitalProtein shipping to NZ is a LOT.

Is there anyone on here from NZ that has had success finding good Whole30 products?

Thanks team!

Leah.

Hi Leah! I hope your Whole30 is going really well? I am in NZ and maybe I can help you source some Whole30 compliant products and local recipes? 

I am a health coach in Wellington and I work with people doing Whole30 http://theremedyproject.co.nz/

I use iherb to purchase Collagen peptides, ghee, Lara bars, Epic bars etc. If I spend over $100 NZD it is very low shipping and great value.

https://secure.iherb.com/tr/list?id=259145903&rcode=WJR340

Please get in touch if you have any more questions! I would be happy to help :)

Hadley Fierlinger

On 2/4/2018 at 11:05 AM, Hadley F said:

Hi Leah! I hope your Whole30 is going really well? I am in NZ and maybe I can help you source some Whole30 compliant products and local recipes? 

I am a health coach in Wellington and I work with people doing Whole30 http://theremedyproject.co.nz/

I use iherb to purchase Collagen peptides, ghee, Lara bars, Epic bars etc. If I spend over $100 NZD it is very low shipping and great value.

Hadley Fierlinger

Hi Hadley,

thanks but I've finished my whole30 now. I found somewhere to get collagen creamer and I just get my ghee from the supermarket.

Do you get good service from iherb? Their reviews are pretty bad from what I can see.

Thanks,

Leah.

Hi Leah, well congrats on your Whole30 success! 

Glad you made it work in the end. I have started a FB group called Kiwis Who Whole30 in case you want to share your experience or join in for support in the future.

I order from iherb once a week and spend over $100 each time (I buy grocery items and supplements) and the shipping is $4-$12 and it arrives in about 5 days. I have never been disappointed with them. 

All the best,

Hadley

On 12/13/2017 at 12:20 PM, Leah1991 said:

Hi everyone,

Thanks team!

Leah.

Hadley Fierlinger

Archived