Sore throat that started day 3 and comes and goes.

JessM81

I started my whole 30 on Monday, 12/11.  I felt great day 1 & 2.  Day 3 was the first appearance of my sore throat.  It seems to come and go with meals, but I can't figure out why or what is causing it.  Wondering if it is food related, I have gone through allergy testing and I am allergic to alot of plants! I take an allergy pill every other day, and the sore throat shows up on the day I don't take my pill.  I'm wondering if it's possibly an allergy to something I'm eating?  Tempted to just start eliminating fruit and veggies that were not part of my diet pre-whole 30. I have always eaten a lot of veggies and fruits...but never had this problem until i started the whole 30.

• Moderators
21 minutes ago, JessM81 said:

I started my whole 30 on Monday, 12/11.  I felt great day 1 & 2.  Day 3 was the first appearance of my sore throat.  It seems to come and go with meals, but I can't figure out why or what is causing it.  Wondering if it is food related, I have gone through allergy testing and I am allergic to alot of plants! I take an allergy pill every other day, and the sore throat shows up on the day I don't take my pill.  I'm wondering if it's possibly an allergy to something I'm eating?  Tempted to just start eliminating fruit and veggies that were not part of my diet pre-whole 30. I have always eaten a lot of veggies and fruits...but never had this problem until i started the whole 30.

It's possible... if you're quite allergic, then you would want to make a list of what new items you're eating or eating a lot more of and see if that could be the cause. Eliminate, make note of whether that helped or not and then keep going till you find the item.... 

I had an interesting allergic response on my recent W30.  For a couple of months prior, I was getting severe itching on my ankles, shins and thighs.  Research suggested that is possible for diabetics with high blood sugar levels, but my levels have been fine.  A few days after starting W30, I started getting skin irritation and itching on my shoulders, chest and back.  I read about it being caused by toxins of former crap foods being released from the body.  And I got this before adding coconut oil and avacado to my meals, plus they haven't tested positive on my last allergy test. 

Research put me on to the idea of a food allergy, but what?  I first eliminated avocado and coconut for a few days, then reintroduced them one at a time - nothing changed.  Previous allergy boards indicated a low sensitivity to eggs, so I stopped them for a few days - no change.

By now, I had crazy-bad itching all over my body!  Eventually, I started looking closer at my high sensitivities to long & short ragweed.  Then I found articles linking melons and other foods to ragweed allergies, so I stopped eating it.  Within two days the itching stopped.  Melons are out, bummer, as I really liked them and never had problems with them before.  They never even showed up on my past allergies report.  After that discovery, I found that teas with chamomile would trigger itching on my arms and chamomile is related to ragweed as well, so that's out too.

All of this happened in the first two weeks of my W30, and took well past day 30 for my skin to heal from the scarring.  Even my foot itching has disappeared!  In the spring, I plan to do another trial with these trigger foods to see if there is a seasonal variable involved, as ragweed in prevalent in the late fall.

Dig in to your allergy report and look at what each item is related to.  Google 'food allergies and cross-reactivity'.

Good luck!

Archived