Endometriosis & Sugar

amandablakley22

Hello ladies, 

I am on day 32 of a compliant whole 30. I decided to do this program because I suffer from chronic endometriosis pain. I decided to buy some cold cut honey glazed ham as my first reintroduction. Does anyone know how long it takes to get pain from having a reaction to the sugar/honey. After eating this ham I started having mild pelvic pain again... which I have actually been free from during my whole 30. Any help or research would be appreciated... thank you so much!! 

Amanda

• Moderators
5 hours ago, amandablakley22 said:

Hello ladies, 

I am on day 32 of a compliant whole 30. I decided to do this program because I suffer from chronic endometriosis pain. I decided to buy some cold cut honey glazed ham as my first reintroduction. Does anyone know how long it takes to get pain from having a reaction to the sugar/honey. After eating this ham I started having mild pelvic pain again... which I have actually been free from during my whole 30. Any help or research would be appreciated... thank you so much!! 

Amanda

Is sugar something that normally causes pain for sufferers of endo?  Because I have never heard of pelvic pain from sugar before but I also am admittedly not up to speed on the consequences of food and endo.  Is it possible it was the pork and not the sugar or were you eating pork on the plan?  I would suggest going to google and seeing if you can find anything that links sugar and pelvic pain for endo sufferers as endo boards and forums are going to be much more robust from a symptom and anecdotal standpoint than the Whole30 boards.

I don't have endometriosis, but sugar is definitely a huge trigger for my menstrual cramping and PMS-related mood symptoms. Since sugar is inflammatory and endometriosis is also an inflammatory condition, I wouldn't be surprised at all for the two to be linked. I would suggest keeping a symptom journal and tracking when you have added sugar versus when you have pain flares to see how strong the correlation might be. It might also be worth tracking the source of your sugar. For me, even if the overall carbohydrate amount is the same, I react more strongly to white sugar than I do to less refined sources like honey or maple syrup (especially as a headache trigger) and whole fruit doesn't seem to bother me at all. 

Something like this is going to have A LOT of variation from one person to the next so I really think that symptom journaling is going to be key.

Archived