Turkey stock (stuffing bits)

BKA

Hi, all. 

I am starting Whole 30 for the first time on January 1st. I thought I would prep a turkey stock in advance, using my leftover turkey carcass from Christmas dinner. The trouble is, there are bits of bread stuffing intermingled with the bones. They will be strained out in the end, but will the residual wheat/gluten make it non-compliant? If that's the case, I can certainly freeze the stock for a later date, but I just thought I'd check. I'd prefer to use it if I can. 

Thanks,

Barb 

Hi Barb,

It is my understanding that unfortunately this would not be compliant. I know it seems strict, but cooking it all together means parts of those bread bits will dissolve into your stock. Either freeze the stock for another time, or the carcass itself will stay frozen for a while.

• Moderators

You're right Elizabeth, this would not be compliant.  

@BKAIf you consider that someone with celiac would never go near a broth that had been cooked with bits of stuffing, you can see that it would be 'contaminated' with the wheat.  I would go ahead and freeze the carcass if you can and make that broth after your 30 days - if you've already got it going, you can definitely freeze it but make sure it's very well labelled so you don't end up having to start over from a simple mistake.

Archived