January W30: Take 1

micah_erin76

Today is my 2nd day of my Whole 30. This is my 1st Whole 30. I bought The 30 Day Guide to Health and Food Freedom and Food Freedom Forever and started reading last week.  By Sat and Sun before starting my W30, I was wrestling with anxiety and doubt that I would be able to successfully do this. My diet has been pretty consistently horrible for the past 3 years with an excess of sugar, bad fats, and processed foods. My eating habits were such a part of poor coping skills that I had thought how could I possibly get through a day without...let alone 30 days. I've been working on focusing on my goals and reasons for doing this. There are so many things I want to do to enjoy each day but rarely have the strength or energy to do much of anything other than recuperate when I'm off work. My reasons for successfully completing W30:

1.  Give my body the fuel it needs to function at its best

2. Be a positive example for health promotion for my son

3. Improve/eliminate aches, pains in joints and back

4. Work toward healthy weight

5. Feel good about how I treat myself

I want to hike, bike, swim and be able to play basketball with my son. I've been in a cycle of overeating unhealthy food for so long and have had such low energy for so long, that I really look forward to being able to wake up and enjoy an active lifestyle rather than feeling so pooped that I can only partially participate and then feel I need to rest. 

Looking forward to advice and encouragement along the way! Let's do this!

Great job getting started! Hope Day 2 goes well. You sound like a lot of us around here, tired of eating and feeling like crap and ready to take control over your not-so-great eating habits! You can totally do this. You're doing a fantastic job writing in your log. I think it really helps, especially when you feel like throwing in the towel! As hard as some days seem, each day reveals a tiny bit more than the last about our relationship with food, so just keep going and if you feel rotten one day, keep the course and know that feeling will pass.

Let us all know how things go today, and we'll be here cheering you on. I've leaned on this fabulous group of people each and every day (I'm on day 12). Honestly, I would've quit last week if it hadn't been for all the amazing people here posting about their days each day. They've all been very inspirational. I wish you all the best as you get started and hope your first week goes well.

Day 2 Won! I'm definitely struggling with eating 3 meals. I think it may take a little time for my appetite to cooperate. I can see I need to eat more veggies and a more complete lunch. I had a lot of nausea this morning and on and off throughout afternoon. My breakfast was very late. 

B: 3 whole scrambled eggs in ghee w onion, 1/4 avocado, Frank's Red, apple, coffee with nutpod creamer

L: Celery, a few almonds, water

D: Ground turkey, w compliant chipotle lime mayo, lettuce boats, and water

Welcome aboard!

It's great that you've taken the first steps to being the best version of you.  You can totally do this and I love how you identified very specific reasons WHY.  Let that motivate you and let all of us help.  Seriously, we are here for you and ready to boost you when you're challenged and cheer your successes.

You've totally got this. :)

6 hours ago, MimiHi said:

Hey Micah, just checking in on you to see if you're feeling any better? How's the nausea today?? You're on day 3, so great job on getting through 2 days of feeling like crap and probably wanting to quit! That's a HUGE deal!!

Thank you for checking in w me. Still had nausea today but I got through it. I was very tired today so I stayed on plan and gave myself permission to get plenty of rest. I still feel very determined, even though I had moments of feeling overwhelmed by the thought of continuing. One of my biggest struggles is that for years I've eaten mostly good that is fast and easy to grab. So planning, prepping, preparing are much more work than I've ever put into eating. I still want to see this through more than I want easy, fast, unhealthy food. I just know that this whole 30 can change my life. I want to follow the whole 30 with continued healthy eating. How was your day?

Day 3 is in the books! Still had nausea today but it was manageable, not too intense. Very tired today. I stayed on plan, except didn't eat as much as I should've. I also slept A LOT today.

B: 3 scrambled eggs w almond milk, onion, spinach, cooked in ghee. Coffee w nutpod creamer

L: walnuts and apple...nauseated

D: chicken breast tenderloins in skillet w ghee, steamed broccoli w coconut aminos, few bites of plain baked potato

I'm wondering if the nausea is just part of the sugar/processes good withdrawal? It's not an intense nausea that comes w illness...just queasy and uncomfortable

• Moderators

I was surprised during Whole30 to find that sometimes my hunger would feel like that kind of low-grade nausea. I don't know if that's what's going on here, but looking at your meals, it seems like a possibility. 

If you're not used to cooking every meal, it might be worth setting aside a day or two a week to cook ahead, so when it's time to eat you just pick food from the fridge and heat it up. Here's one way that can work:  http://meljoulwan.com/2010/01/14/paleo-kitchen-the-method-behind-my-madness/ Basically, just make sure you have easy to fix things on hand. Cans of tuna or salmon, frozen burger patties or chicken, frozen or canned vegetables. Figure out foods that you can make that'll last you several meals (assuming you don't mind leftovers) -- breakfast casseroles with eggs, sweet potatoes, sausage, and whatever other veggies you like; pot roast or pulled pork or a whole chicken could get you multiple servings of food that you could eat as they are, add to soups or salads, or wrap in lettuce wraps. Whatever you do, figure out something for lunch that looks like a template meal (meal template: https://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-meal-planning.pdf

Also, be sure you're salting your food. 

Well done. Day 3!! I have no clue about the nausea....any chance you could be getting the flu? The only reason I ask is that I had a horrible flu bug prior to XMAS, and nausea was one of the symptoms. I don't mean to suggest you have the flu or anything, but maybe post that question in the trouble shooting thread. The moderators are amazingly quick at responding to questions.

You should read my, Cavemom's, ceerock, and Jager07's first few days...Jager07 is a pro at this whole30 thing, but Cavemom, ceerock, and I started all about the same time and were freaking out about all the prep work. I literally spent a fortune on groceries that were already cut up, spirlized, etc, so I didn't have to do all that prep work, and it still felt like I spent all day in the kitchen. 

I'm amazed at how quickly that all passes, though. Try to come up with 3 dinners and 3 breakfasts you like, or can gag down right now, and stick to those for the first 5 days...lunch can be left overs. There's this one recipe that's really good call chicken Marbella...it's super easy and taste fantastic heated up. I also made Chia pudding for breakfast, and that was super easy. And Monkey Salad, which is berries, banana, a few cashews, coconut, and almond butter drizzled over it. Super quick and easy, and very tasty. It's not as hardcore as eggs in the morning, or sausage, but might be better on your stomach until you feel less queasy.

@ShannonM816 it could be hunger maybe? My goal for tomorrow is 3 real template meals. I thought I had meal prepped but I just partially prepped I guess bc there still seems to be too much time being spent on the kitchen throughout the day. Tomorrow is grocery day and Friday will be prepping day and I'm really hoping I get it together so I can establish some kind of routine. My work schedule varies every week so my grocery and prep day will also vary but this Friday is my Sunday. I will be working long shifts Sat and Sun. Thanks so much for your feedback!

@MimiHi I don't feel sick or achey just queasy in my stomach. I really hope it's not impending sickness. I think good that isn't as heavy in the morning could be really helpful. It's just hard getting a good amount of protein w a light breakfast. That monkey salad sounds delish! How do you make your chia pudding?

Well I'm glad you don't feel sick or achey. Sorry you feel nauseated, but we'd hate to see you get sick when you're just now starting out. You've got a great plan for the prep this week. I don't have an exact recipe for the Chia pudding, but it's super easy...I know you can easily find a recipe for it but I basically do this:

in a blender (Vitamix type):

1 to 1 1/2 C.  Compliant almond Milk (or any compliant milk)--

3 Medjool dates, pitted

pinch of sea salt

pinch of nutmeg or cinnamon

Whirl that all up in the blender until it's a looks like milk. The almonds/dates should be pulverized. Pour it into a tupperware type container.

ADD in

1/4 C. Chia seeds 

Mix it around as best you can. (The chia seeds float around) 

Put the lid on the container and give a good shake to mix the seeds up a bit more, and then put it in your fridge! It'll be ready by the morning.

I put fresh fruit berries, a few cashews or anything else you really like. It's what got me through the first few mornings. I don't like a huge breakfast right away, but I found this to be perfect first thing, and then I'd have a heartier snack around 10 am.

Yay, you made it through Day 3!

I'm so sorry your stomach is unhappy.  Would tea in the morning help? (if you like tea)  Also, maybe try peppermint and/or a different protein besides eggs for breakfast.  Breakfast has always been the hardest meal for me to eat because I'm not hungry when I wake up and not a huge fan of eggs.  Eating non-traditional foods makes it much easier, i.e. taco meat, spaghetti sauce with meat, leftovers, etc.  

Don't stress about the prep work.  Buy the pre-cut/washed things that are worth the trade of stress and time.  If you brown some hamburger and bake some chicken breasts on your prep days, your possibilities for the week are super easy.  Also check out the sheet pan recipes - quick and delish.

I get nauseated when I'm really hungry. It's like I go past hungry to not hungry and sick. Not fun. I find ginger or peppermint tea helps, not sure if that would work for you or not.

Totally agree with Jager07 on the pre-prepped foods being worth it, I'm not sure where you're located, but a lot of places like Whole Foods have pre-chopped or spiralized veggies, Green Giant sells pre-riced cauliflower and broccoli (I find doing it myself to be exasperating, so I love this). And veggies don't have to be fresh, frozen is totally fine. I've done baked chicken, frozen veggies, and a Wholly Guacamole single serve cup as an easy to prep and easy to deal with meal.

EPIPHANY!!! The eggs were making me sick!! This was a total "duh" moment for me this morning but nonetheless I'm grateful! More than 10 yrs ago I was tested for good sensitivities. The list of foods was so long that I was completely overwhelmed and just cut out the things I knew were making me sick...wheat, barley, rye. Eggs was on the list but no didn't give it too much consideration bc I don't really like eggs and rarely ate them. 

This morning I had an Apple and walnuts and coffee w nutpods. An hour or so later my stomach was feeling ok and it occurred to me that I was eating eggs for breakfast then felt sick the rest of the day. This is funny because I've been an RN for almost 20yrs and I'm in grad school in Nurse Practitioner program but I'm the worst at figuring out what is going on w me! 

I then are chicken breast tenderloin leftover w primal chipotle line mayo w romaine lettuce used as bun. And I feel good! 

Thankful for everyone on here being so helpful. 

You all are so amazing! Your support means so much! Now on Day 4 I'm feeling really good! I would love some suggestions for this evening. 

B: Apple, walnuts. Then chicken, chipotle lime mayo, on romaine. Yummy!

L: leftover ground turkey, chipotle lime mayo, on romaine. Yummy!

I will be leaving for my son's basketball game around 4:30 and getting home close to 9p.m. It's about a 45minute drive to and from this game. Any suggestions on how I could manage this?

Day 4 complete! NSVs...I felt healthier today than I have for years! I had a busy evening and still had a compliant dinner in my car an route to my son's basketball game...thanks to @Jager07 for the suggestion. After the game the team and parents went to fast food place and I really enjoyed talking w the other parents and kids, without eating. I left the restaurant feeling really good about another successful day. 

My breakfast and lunch are in previous post.

D: chicken breast cooked w ghee, carrots, walnuts, water

Woohoo!

Archived