Hi! I'm on day #9 and my supply has completely tanked over the last week. I've been trying for 3 or so day to increase my supply. My son is EBF and is 5 months old. I drink approximately 100oz of water a day (I'm 132/lbs), I've been drinking mother's milk tea since Monday and my supply still has not recovered. My son's poops are bright green and my breasts are SUPER soft/empty. He nurses for a lot longer than before W30. Ive been eating until full and also  adding a 4th meal, and making sure my meals have a fat. Here's a sample of what I eat:

B- 2 fried eggs, 3 sweet potato latkes, 1/2 avocado, 2 cups coffee 1/3 cup coconut cream

L- potato salad ( mayo, bacon, potatoes) mixed with arugula and 1/2 avocado.

D- pork picatta with zoodles, arugula salad with cucumber, tomatoes, 1/2 avocado 

Mini Meal- 3 slices compliant deli turkey rolled with avocado, apple + 2 tbs almond butter, handful of dried mango and sliced almonds.

Plus I drink a can of coconut milk with 2-3 cups of mother's milk tea. 

I'm offering the breast like crazy to try to increase supply. Any other suggestions? What should I do if I can't keep my supply up? Can I modify and add oatmeal to help produce milk? Any advice would be greatly appreciated! This is my last baby and I'm not giving up nursing him.

• Whole30 Certified Coach

It sure sounds like you are doing everything right... bummer that this is happening.  Is your sleep ok (or is it worse than it was?).  I've noticed a few back to back nights of crappy sleep seems to affect my supply.  Can you drink even more water... I'm 12m PP so little guy is nursing less than he used to (though not much) and on good days I get in 120+ oz (I'm about the same weight as you).  If this is a big dietary change (in terms of carbs) for you the loss of muscle glycogen also causes some diuresis.  Are you salting your food well (with a good salt - like Himalayan)?  The only other thing I would suggest is bone broth (with salt).  

• Administrators

I'm sorry but I disagree. I think you aren't eating enough. You could afford at least one more egg at breakfast if not two. Lunch has almost no protein and unless you're using a vat of arugula, you could use another veggie. Dinner is probably light too. Zucchini is mostly water and salad doesn't amount to much when chewed down. Add sturdier veggies and eat the whole avocado. You could also try denser fats like ghee or mayo with your meals. 

Thanks for help! I cook almost all our proteins in either ghee or coconut oil and use Nom Nom Paleo's mushroom powder mix (salt, dried mushrooms, thyme, pepper) on almost everything (i'm more likely to over-salt as opposed to under) . My sleep is pretty good- usually around 6-7 hours sometimes uninterrupted, mostly not because of the baby and my 2 other kids.  Here's another day of eating (I don't usually track foods, but I did this day to see what my fat/ calorie intake was for supply reasons).  I'll try to add a dense veggie/ more veggies, I just feel so full on what I'm already eating. We didn't eat many processed food before this, but i think we did eat pretty carb heavy.

image.png.33b88b3011cf3e7c70855b4696eabcc2.png

• Administrators

I appreciate what you've done here with the tracking but I'll tell you why this is not helpful. First, these are random numbers that are indicative of how hot an item burns when set on fire (calories). It's useless information for humans. 

You have a really, really good indicator that something is not right and that is your milk supply. Put all these numbers aside and try making some tweaks to your diet. Regardless of what the numbers indicate (enough, not enough, too much fat, not enough fat). 

There is no fat listed for your dinner? Also the Trader Joe coconut milk shows you're drinking a litre of it? For full fat coconut milk, you'd be looking at around 1400 calories for that much. Are you using a pourable cartonned milk? Or canned full fat?

All this besides, try making some adjustments and see how you do.

I'm using the full fat canned coconut milk (13.5oz) and I drink 1 can a day, as well as 1/3 of a cup of coconut cream in my coffee. 

I didn't have a plated fat with dinner that night as I had a cup of tea with the coconut milk in it. 

Ok, so more veggies/ hardier veggies  and more protein and see how things go?

Today's menu:

Breakfast: potatoes, green beans and 2 fried eggs, 1/2 avocado with 1/3 cup coconut cream in 2 cups coffee - I could barely finish breakfast I was so full

Lunch- leftover Thai chicken and sprout skillet with warm salmon and potato salad

Dinner- Craklin chicken with cucumber, tomato and avocado salad, roasted potatoes and green beans.

I'll have my can of coconut milk and my 3 cups of tea, plus 100-120oz water. Anything else I should add or does that seem ok?

Archived