French Fries

tcarson

Ok, before people get out their pitch forks, I know french fries and potato chips aren't Whole30 approved. Can someone talk more about why? It's common sense, but as I'm 10 days away from the end of my Whole 30 and thinking about what I would like to reintroduce, I can't decide about fries. 

Is it only the PUFA Omega-6 fats? I feel like these demons are highly palatable in a way. I can eat an endless amount of FF, but a baked sweet potato, butternut squash or other similar item fills me right up and has a natural satiating effect. But WHY? Why is is that eating french fries seems different than eating a baked potato? Fat should be filling, but all the oil they are cooked in just doesn't have an effect on satiety. 

• Moderators
14 minutes ago, tcarson said:

Ok, before people get out their pitch forks, I know french fries and potato chips aren't Whole30 approved. Can someone talk more about why? It's common sense, but as I'm 10 days away from the end of my Whole 30 and thinking about what I would like to reintroduce, I can't decide about fries. 

Is it only the PUFA Omega-6 fats? I feel like these demons are highly palatable in a way. I can eat an endless amount of FF, but a baked sweet potato, butternut squash or other similar item fills me right up and has a natural satiating effect. But WHY? Why is is that eating french fries seems different than eating a baked potato? Fat should be filling, but all the oil they are cooked in just doesn't have an effect on satiety. 

There's a ton of info written about this if you google 'whole30 french fries' or 'whole30 chips'.  They're food without brakes for most people, many people have an unhealthy relationship with fast food which frenchfries are a huge part of... also, because of what you stated, you can eat an endless amount of them but eating that same piece of produce in a different form isn't endless... 

Thank you for the reply. To be fair, a google search for Whole30 French Fries results in several pages of recipes for paleo french fries. 

I realize they can be food with no brakes, what I'm curious about is why that combination of fat and salt is a food with no breaks for me, when an actually roasted potato with salt and butter (still triggering the same dopamine pathways for fat, salt, and carbs) fills me right up. 

• Administrators
11 minutes ago, tcarson said:

Thank you for the reply. To be fair, a google search for Whole30 French Fries results in several pages of recipes for paleo french fries. 

I realize they can be food with no brakes, what I'm curious about is why that combination of fat and salt is a food with no breaks for me, when an actually roasted potato with salt and butter (still triggering the same dopamine pathways for fat, salt, and carbs) fills me right up. 

I think it might be the "little chipped up bits" thing.........french fries are psychologically smaller so you can do the hand-to-mouth thing with them? Also they are usually deep fried which is a different kind of fat and they are crispy....like chips. Most fries are also battered so the amount of potato you're actually getting vs batter/fat/salt is probably less than when you eat a baked potato.

Just my thoughts............interesting question though! 

Archived