My sleep is totally messed up

Hello all, I am on Day 23 of my first W30 and I would say it is going great except for one thing.  I am not sleeping well through the night.  I go to bed about 9:30 pm and fall right to sleep.  I wake 2 hours later to go to the bathroom and usually get right back to sleep.  Then, between 2 and 2:30 a.m. I am wide awake tossing and turning.  I usually will go to the bathroom.  I wake up again an hour later and toss and turn and then wake up between 4 and 4:30 and toss and turn not wanting to give up getting back to sleep.  I finally give up between 4:30 and 5 am and get up,  I feel fine during the day and lots of energy but usually take a nap in afternoon.   Yesterday I did not get to nap and I thought surely this will help me sleep through the night.  But no.  And today I am tired and cranky and I am finding my self wanting to snack. 

I have been taking Naturally calm magnesium or an epsom salt bath at night to try to help me sleep.  I tried having a small portion of a protein right before bed.  I am out of ideas and need some sleep.  Help! 

I start the day with decaf coffee with a scoop of real coffee.  I add coconut oil and Vital proteins collagen and a little nutpods creamer.  I have eggs and veggies. & avocado and sometimes potatoes for breakfast, usually a salad at lunch with protein and healthy fat and meat and veggies and sometimes potato or sweet potato at dinner.  I sometimes need a snack in afternoon because I ate lunch so early because i was up so early.  Help!

• Moderators

I second the request for more info on your meals.

One thing to try immediately is to switch to decaf. Some people are really sensitive to caffeine.

That being said, it is not uncommon to experience some temporary changes in sleep patterns due to hormone fluctuation. Your body is doing a lot right now and it may need a little time to adjust.

I feel like I am eating compliant to all the rules, except maybe more than 2 thumbs of healthy fats.  Which I thought I read is ok.   My portions are pretty compliant according to the meal planner.  Here is what I ate.  I start each morning with a couple cups of half and half coffee, however i cut the caffeinated to 1 scoop for the pot yesterday and today.    I add a 1-2 teaspoons of coconut oil and Vital proteins collagen scoop and some nutpods creamer.  Then, about an hour later I have breakfast.

Sunday--2 eggs over spinach cooked in EVOO, maybe some avocado, not sure.  Lunch 1/2 grill chicken breast, a cup or so of broccoli and 1/2 cup new potatoes- cooked in avocado oil.  Dinner was a bowl of W30 chili recipe from real plans. Salad greans with W30 Avocado Lime dressing.   I took Naturally Calm 20-30 minutes before bed. 

Monday-- Same breakfast as yesterday.  Lunch  Thai Coconut soup (real plans) and salad with W30 ranch dressing.  yummy.  Dinner- shrimp stir fry with mushrooms and greens.  I think this was the night I ate a piece of chicken before bed.  (read that might help)  Did not take naturally calm

tuesday--  Turkey and egg casserole with spinach and tomatoes on top.  Lunch  About 1/2 cup Taco meat over salad greens and   W30 ranch dressing.  Dinner-Damn fine chicken from Nom Nom Paleo and spiralized white potato with the sauce from chicken drenched over them..  Super yummy.  Took Naturally Calm before bed.

Wednesday- Repeat Turkey and egg casserole.  I cant remember lunch.  Dinner Taco Salad again with W30 ranch dressing.  Took Epsom salt bath before bed. 

Each of these days I woke through the night as described above. 

Hmm. You look pretty light on protein to me, and I'm guessing light in general...

For instance a serving of eggs, when they are the sole source of protein in a meal, would be the number of whole eggs you can hold in one hand without breaking. I'd suggest you increase the volume of protein in your meals. I'd also recommend that you continue with the magnesium regularly rather than sporadically - allow it to build up in your system. Limit liquids for a few hours before going to bed too.

What are you doing in terms of sleep hygiene? Is there any blue light in your room? Do you limit screen time before going to bed? Do you dim the lights in your home after sunset? Keep your bedroom cooler than other rooms...? Do you spend regular time outdoors?

Good ideas jmcbn.  I will take the Naturally calm more consistently and limit my liquids.  Although it is suggested that you take the calm 20 minutes before bed, which is in a glass of water.  My room is very dark and cold.  I also thought that it could be hormone regulation due to the changes in W30, but it has been 2 weeks and it is time for sleep.  I have had similar troubles before and was taking a Melotonin supplement but stopped because it had sweeteners in it.  Thanks for the comments.

I find that when I use Natural Calm before bed, I often have to wake up in the middle of the night due to having liquids so close to bed time. One thing I'm trying right now is moving my dose closer to an hour before bed, and using the least amount of water possible (4-6 oz). It sure doesn't help the flavor, but when I can get a decent nights' sleep, it makes it sorta worth it.

I have chronic sleep issues, and wondered if you were having similar sleep patterns prior to Whole30, or if they just started during your current round?

Thank you purplepadres.  I did move my natural calm to earlier last night and yes I have had sleep issues before this.   But not with this much waking up consistently at the same times from night to night.  I was taking Melatonin but i quit taking it for 2 reasons, It had a sweetener in it and I wanted to see what would happen with W30 regimen.    Well, I bought some different Melatonin yesterday and took it when I woke at 2 am.  I did get back to sleep till about 6 am so It was much better, and I dont think I woke 2 hours after I went to bed to go to BR. 

I am increasing my protein also.  Hopefully all this will help break the cycle and I can experience that wonderful sleep W30 says I will have. 

Believing,

Julie Anne

2 minutes ago, Julie Anne said:

I bought some different Melatonin yesterday

Be wary of taking melatonin long term as it can inhibit the body's ability to produce melatonin on it's own which is why you won't find us recommending it on the forums. I understand if you were feeling sleep deprived though - there's nothing worse :unsure:

I am having a ton of trouble with sleep, too. Doing the wake up all morning thing, but also takes me a long time to fall asleep, sometimes two or three hours, which puts me into that half-sleep toss-turn phase anyway. I am NOT feeling rested or like I'm sleeping deeply. Groggy, wired-exhaustion brain, feels like I'm manic. This seems like a pretty weird and, the more I try and read about it, not uncommon problem with the protocol, and the answer is to take a sleep-aid?

Is there any kind of theoretical time frame for your hormones adjusting to the diet and allowing your body to rest again? Is it different for every person?

I have always been sleep-challenged and had hoped my W30 would be a miracle solution to this annoying issue. But alas, I still have some bad nights. I find that the Epsom salt baths are a helpful ritual for me as well.....and a great act of self love and reward. But the thing that most helps me have a good night is what I call 'bed meditation'. I play a 10-minute session of Headspace as I lay down and often am asleep before the session finishes playing. And these bed meditation nights usually result in a good, night's sleep. This is helpful for me as a lot of my problem is getting to sleep in the first place. But I also struggle with waking up during the night, often around the 2 or 2:30 as mentioned in previous threads.

Just to clarify....my intention is to use bed meditations aa a sleep aid; this is not in place of my focused meditation done during the day. Also, I make sure I download the guided meditation session so that I can play it while my device is on airplane mode. I definitely do not want any EMFs in my bedroom as they can be disruptive to sleep.

• 11 months later...

I’m having exactly the same sleep issues.  It’s wearing me down and has been occurring since week two.  Unfortunately, the exhaustion is now off setting the feeling of energy earlier from Whole30.  On day 27.  Will my body reset?  Staying the course and would like to continue indefinitely but this sleep disruption is becoming intolerable.

Archived