First W30 starts 1/1/13

WholeDeb

My husband and I are pumped about our first Whole 30 because we have watched our son flourish with regular CrossFit sessions and a Paleo diet. We are both starting W30 on Jan. 1. Today we talked about what we're going to eat for breakfast. This is the most challenging for both of us because we usually eat oatmeal, and have been drinking sweetened coffee. I'm going to eat eggs, avocado, spinach, mushrooms and sometimes banana/coconut/almond milk smoothies. We have been gluten free since October, and our lunches and dinners consist mostly of grilled meat, veggies and salad. We will need to cut out rice, peas, corn, beans and white potatoes, and add good fats such as nuts, avocado, coconut, and more types of meat.

Today we had fun shopping at Whole Foods and Trader Joe's for califlower, brussel sprouts, macadamia nuts, avocado, coffee and other things. I wanted to buy bacon, but couldn't find any without sugar added (even at Whole Foods). It will be nice to stop buying gf bread for $5.99 a loaf!

Since March 2012, I have unintentionally lost 20 pounds because of collaneous colitis (a new diagnosis), so one of my goals is to gain weight. I also have acid reflux, so it is an extra challenge to avoid highly acid food that makes me cough such as tomatoes and vinegar. Maybe the Whole 30 will help my digestive system.

How exciting! I think you're going to do great, and I'm glad you're on board with us. Something to note - some might argue that it's not a great idea to have smoothies for breakfast, because they don't fill you up for a long time. There might be other reasons, but I'll let someone more well-versed in this program than myself field that one. Nonetheless, it sounds like this is going to be a big step for you and your husband. I look forward to hearing how things go for you guys. Don't hesitate to check in if you have any questions or concerns - the moderators of this forum are quick and thorough with their answers. :)

Congrats to you and your husband. It's very cool that your son encouraged you with his lifestyle.

On the smoothies..it is a no no for several reasons. Drinking your food does not satisfy the same way chewing does. It is also hard to overeat good whole foods but it's not hard to overdo when you drink it. If you are looking for easy first meals, leftovers work great. Or hardboiled eggs, homemade mayo and s bunch of cut up veggies. I always have many choices of already prepared food so I don't get stuck.

If you haven't read It Starts With Food, I highly recommend it. I have it on my Kindle tablet and in hardcover so it's always handy in case I need to win any arguments. :)

Thank you both for the info about smoothies. Almost as soon as I pushed the button to post my comment, I remembered what the book says about smoothies. It's a lot of information to take in, and I appreciate the help.

Thank you both for the info about smoothies. Almost as soon as I pushed the button to post my comment, I remembered what the book says about smoothies. It's a lot of information to take in, and I appreciate the help.

It's a ton of info Deb. Keep it simple and follow the guidelines and you will be good. :)

Day 1 breakfast at 9 a.m.: 2 eggs scrambled in a bit of ghee, one half avocado, sweet potato squares, one cup black coffee. The avocado by itself was a little jarring, but I combined it with the egg at first, and then I got used to it and liked it. I thought black coffee would be so hard, but it was ok. Felt kind of cool actually, and I didn't want more than one cup. My husband and I are going to experiment with sweet potato hash later today.

You know you're serious when you throw out food. This morning, I took out a heavy garbage bag filled with items my husband and I discarded last night and this morning. Since I'm not going to have smoothies for breakfast, I poured out the carton of coconut milk (which had carrageenan in it!) and the unsweetened almond milk, which didn't taste great anyway. Two hours later, I feel pretty good -- still nice and full. Now I am going to fill up my water bottle and make sure I stay hydrated.

Day 1 lunch: big salad with arugula, 4 oz grilled chicken, "open handful" of black olives, "closed handful" of cashews, cucumber, one artichoke heart, generous amount of shredded carrots, some kale and one tablespoon of homemade dressing -- olive oil, balsamic vinegar and herbes de provence.

I ate at the dining room table without reading, looking at a screen or anything else, and I was antsy. I stuck with it, and noticed the tastes more than usual. It was a complex salad -- very tasty.

Day 1 Mini-meal: I got hungry at 3:00, and my hunger passed the "fish and broccoli" test. So I had a mini-meal of sliced turkey (from Whole Foods) a handful of macadamia nuts and a banana. I am trying to gain weight, so eating when I am hungry seems like a good idea to me.

Day 1 dinner: I was pleasantly hungry, even after my mini-meal. We had squash soup, roasted autumn vegetable salad (with brussel sprouts, acorn squash, cauliflower and teaspoon of balsamic vinegar and oil dressing), 6 oz of grilled chicken and steamed broccoli.

Squash soup was great. Recipe: one acorn squash, one butternut squash (both roasted until very soft and scooped out), one-third cup canned coconut milk, 4 cups of chicken stock, and a bit of salt all blended together.

I am excited about breakfast. My husband just grated some sweet potato so we can make sweet potato hash browns in the morning. He did a test batch, and it was great!! We are keeping a container of grated sweet potato in the refrigerator, and we can make sweet potato hash browns on demand (cooked on high heat with half ghee and half coconut oil) ....so tasty!

Day 2

Woke up early and hungry. Woke twice during the night.

Pre-workout meal @5:30 am: one cup squash soup and about an ounce of smoked turkey.

Workout: walked 1.46 miles in 25 minutes; strength training and stretching for 20 min

Felt odd to exercise after pre-workout meal; usually don't eat before early morning workout

Day 2 breakfast: 2 eggs scrambled; sweet potato hash browns (1 cup), half an avocado, banana with a teaspoon of cashew butter, black coffee.

I was so busy cooking the sweet potato hash browns that I forgot to make coffee first thing. Very unusual for me. Enjoyed black coffee more today; didn't want more than one cup.

Day 2 lunch: 2 cups squash soup; leftover roasted vegetables, 5 oz grilled chicken, broccoli.

Full!

No snacks before lunch or dinner; I just drank a lot of water at work.

Day 2 dinner: Small but hearty salad of mixed baby greens, avocado, artichoke hearts, green olives, and a bit of yellow bell pepper with a teaspoon of olive oil and balsamic vinegar. About 4 oz of roast beef, sweet potato squares, roasted zucchini. While I was making my big salad for lunch tomorrow, I added some "emergency" coconut flakes to my lunch box for tomorrow, and of course had to have about a tablespoon. My husband made kale chips tonight -- they are great -- and I sampled a few. I'm full, so I can't imagine eating anything else today.

Switchblade805, that makes me feel good that your coach is impressed. Thanks for passing that along!

Day 3:

It was hard to fall asleep last night, but I slept soundly and was still asleep when the alarm went off at 5:45. (I usually wake up between 5 and 5:30 a.m. without an alarm). Woke up feeling slightly nauseous, so I did not eat before yoga at 6 a.m.

Breakfast: 2 scrambled eggs, cup of sweet potato hash browns, kale chips, and a small piece of roast beef (which tasted weird for breakfast). The kale chips were great right after my husband made them last night, but they had wilted by the morning. I toasted them again in the oven, and they were sort of bitter. I ate them, though. Felt some nausea after breakfast, but by 11:30 I was hungry.

Lunch: Cup and a half of squash soup, and a big salad with arugula, spinach, kale, handful of green olives, 1/3 cup macadamia nuts, a third of an avocado, a cup of broccoli, 3 oz broiled chicken, about an ounce of sliced turkey, and a tablespoon of olive oil and balsamic vinegar.

Headache started about 1:30. I was hungry at 3 p.m., but couldn't imagine eating fish and broccoli, so I didn't have a snack. However, I was really really hungry for dinner. I think I should have eaten more at lunch.

Dinner: About 8 ounces of roasted turkey, big serving of sweet potato squares, steamed carrots, cabbage with cashews sprinkled on top, a dinner salad (lettuce, olives, jicama and a few cashews), one-fourth cup of coconut flakes, and a date roll. Wow. I ate much more than usual, but I don't feel too full. I still have a headache at 7:30 p.m. Would love for that to go away!

My husband (the main cook of the family) is a little concerned that our meals are not substantial enough. We went over the Whole9 shopping list, and I suggested adding some different types of vegetables and soups made with canned coconut milk. He made an extra trip to the store tonight to buy eggs and also some hubbard squash -- a new kind for us. Stay tuned tomorrow for how that turns out.

Day 4:

Last night I had leg cramps -- very annoying -- and this morning I felt slightly sick to my stomach.

I slept a little later than usual and didn't go to the gym, but I felt like eating around 7:30.

Breakfast: two boiled eggs, sweet potato hash browns, a banana, one cup of black coffee. Quote of the day (by permission) from my husband (who is doing the Whole30, too), "I am looking forward to to the day that I am used to the taste of back coffee."

Today, I thought black coffee was ok, and didn't feel like I wanted to add anything to it.

Lunch: Squash soup and a salad with about 4 oz roasted turkey, mixed greens, open handful of black olives, jicama, one boiled egg, a few slivered almonds, and oil and balsamic vinegar dressing.

I was not hungry between lunch and dinner. Stomach felt a little yucky for much of the afternoon. I felt better by dinner.

Dinner: hubbard squash -- pretty good -- it's mild like acorn squash

two helpings of sweet potato turkey hash with kale similar to this recipe:

http://www.janssushibar.com/turkey-sweet-potato-hash/

(We didn't have any bacon, which I am sure would make it outstanding, but it was very tasty without it)

And three tablespoons of coconut flakes.

One note: my husband discovered that our favorite chicken stock (Chicken Basics) has HONEY added to it. So he used vegetable stock (without honey) for the sweet potato turkey hash. Man, those food manufacturers are a sneaky lot!

Day 5

I slept well -- about an hour longer than usual.

I feel much better -- no nausea, no headache and more energy. I did some research on pastured meat, and found a local source, which i plan to contact.

Meal #1: sweet potato hash browns, 2 eggs scrambled in coconut oil, a banana and black coffee.

10:45: I am hungry but it feels good-- much better than the nausea and slight stomach ache from yesterday. Sounds weird but I think I am going to enjoy being a little hungry until lunch.

Day 5 lunch

Big salad and leftover sweet potato, turkey and kale hash

Had headache all afternoon

Dinner: about 7 oz grilled salmon, broccoli, roasted eggplant, sweet potato squares

Feel sleepy -- but it's only 6 pm. Going to walk in the mall.

Day 6: today's theme is hungry!

I slept well, and felt good this morning, woke without an alarm at 5:30 -- the usual time for me.

Breakfast: 7 a.m. 3-egg omelette with mushrooms and spinach sauteed in ghee, sweet potato hashbrowns, two small slices of avocado, and coffee. I experimented with canned coconut milk in my coffee, but I discovered that I like black coffee better.

I was really hungry at 11 a.m., and was starting to get a headache. I ate a banana and a a third of a cup of coconut flakes with two teaspoons of coconut milk to make the flakes softer. That was good!

Lunch: I was very happy to eat lunch a little earlier than usual at 11:45 so we could catch an early movie. I had chicken vegetable soup made with grilled chicken, vegetable stock, carrots, chunks of squash, celery and kale. I added a little coconut milk, which made it creamier. Also had leftover eggplant and a handful of cashews. My headache continued for a couple of hours.

After the movie, we went to Whole Foods, and found organic free-range chicken stock with no added sugar. The brand is Imagine. We are interested in trying some new things, so we bought a rutabaga, swiss chard, and canned pumpkin (Whole Foods brand) for soup.

4:00 -- Walked outside for about 25 minutes, and ran three short intervals. I don't usually run, but I felt like trying it after watching a lot of running in the movie (Silver Lining Playbook -- the movie was good).

To be honest, one of the reasons I walked and ran is so I could have a post-workout mini-meal meal. I was so hungry! I had an ounce of sliced turkey, a handful of olives and about five squares of honeydew melon (wow was that good!) After the snack, my headache was gone.

Dinner: small salad with mixed greens, jicama, sliced olives; turkey burger, cauliflower, asparagus, swiss chard, honey dew melon, two small dates and about five macadamia nuts.

Day 7:

Woke up with upset stomach.

Meal 1: 2 scrambled eggs, sweet potato hash browns, banana

First thing I saw at work: a giant box of chocolates in the break room. I said to myself -- those things just aren't edible-- and proceeded to put my lunch in the refrigerator,

When I went back to the break room to get my lunch, there was a huge tray of bagels and cream cheese leftover from a meeting. I was not that hungry and wan't tempted at all. That idea of "those things are inedible" really works for me.

Lunch: 6 oz grilled chicken breast, cauliflower, green beans and Hubbard squash.

I had a snack (honey dew melon and coconut flakes) at 4:30 because I needed to take medication with food, and I forgot to take it earlier in the day.

Dinner: 4 oz steak, salad with olives, mixed greens and avocado, sweet potato squares and coconut flakes.

Week 2, Day 8:

I liked the grass-fed steak I ate last night (about 4 oz), but my stomach didn't. (I rarely eat steak.) After dinner last night, I had a slight stomach ache and gas, which is unusual since I adopted a gluten-free diet in October. At 3:30 a.m., I woke up coughing, felt a clog in my throat, and had heartburn (acid reflux symptoms). I didn't go back to sleep. This morning, I feel challenged and tired, and I am trying to psych myself up for meeting with my boss today to improve my time management (I like him; this is a good thing). I decided to reduce the fat in my diet today (no nuts, coconut flakes or steak.)

Breakfast: 2 boiled eggs, half cup of sweet potato squares, banana.

For lunch, I packed 5 oz grilled chicken breast, green beans, broccoli, sweet potato squares. I included a boiled egg and a banana as a possible snack.

Added after work:

No snacks at work -- didn't feel the need.

Dinner: 8 ounces of talapia, mixed roasted vegetables (butternut squash, rutabaga, carrots), spinach, one boiled egg, and small salad with avocado, olives, mixed greens, extra virgin olive oil and a few sprinkles of balsamic vinegar.

I had a productive day at work, and I feel better.

Day 9:

Slept well last night.

Pre-workout: steamed carrots with ghee and coconut flakes

WO: 25 minutes on treadmill with two running intervals; 30 minutes strength training and stretching.

Breakfast: 2 boiled eggs, sweet potato hash, 2 oz grilled chicken, banana

Lunch: grilled chicken, spinach, Hubbard squash and six big olives

Hungry by 3:00-- All I had left was a handful of cashews and macadamia nuts. This was not enough; I was really hungry at dinner and I had a headache

Dinner: squash and pumpkin soup, salad mixed greens, avocado, olives and oil and vinegar), grilled chicken, roasted yellow squash, coconut flakes and a Larabar.

I think tomorrow I will take a mini meal to work instead of just nuts. I'm not always hungry in the mid-afternoon,, but I need to have more food with me just in case because there is no option of buying compliant food at work.

Day 10:

Slept well, but my colitis was acting up, and I didn't go to the gym.

Breakfast: two boiled eggs, sweet potato hash browns, about an ounce of grilled chicken, a banana and black coffee.

Lunch: squash& pumpkin soup, BA salad with mixed greens olives, avocado, jicama, boiled eggs and oil an vinegar dressing.

Mini-Meal: At 4 p.m. I was hungry, and I ate about two ounces of grilled chicken, steamed carrots with a bit of ghee, and spinach.

(I have been overly hungry the past few days, so I decided to add a small meal.)

Dinner: kale, chicken and sweet potato mixture, green beans with mushrooms, and small salad with olives, jicama, avocado and dressing.

It has been raining the past two days, and I realized today that my joints don't hurt like they usually do on rainy days. I have been sleeping better, but my stomach is rebelling against something. I suspect it's nuts, so I'm going to avoid nuts for a few days to see if it makes any difference.

Day 10 Still having colitis symptoms and still compliant with the Whole30, but didn't feel all that great. I felt weak from the D, but I was productive at work.

Breakfast: two boiled eggs, sweet potato hash browns cooked in a tiny amount of coconut oil and a banana.

Lunch: leftover kale, sweet potato and chicken mixture, green beans and mushrooms,

Dinner: broiled turkey breast, purple cauliflower, squash and carrot soup made with free-range chicken broth.

All day I drank Trader Joe's water with added electrolytes.

Day 11: slept pretty well, but D continued. Breakfast: two boiled eggs and a banana. Mid-morning snack: steamed carrots, and a bit of leftover sweet potato, kale and chicken mixture.

Despite my gastro problems, I had a lot of energy. I cleaned the house for a while, then went shopping and snagged a great pair of jeans for $25 and a cool shirt for $10. Usually I don't have much energy for shopping, but today I did not feel tired at all. The only reason I stopped shopping is that I was hungry!

Lunch: summer squash, green beans and mushrooms, and slices of turkey.

Snack: squash soup and a baked version of sweet potato hash (didn't really work-- too soft).

Dinner: frittata with spinach, turkey and sweet potato, and grilled eggplant.

My goal today is to drink lots of water, avoid nuts, and reduce fat to see if my system will settle down.

Day 17

I have been eating according to plan, but having a really hard time with symptoms of collagenous colitis (diarrhea and some nausea). these symptoms started a week ago. I see a connection between fat and these symptoms-- and I have stopped eating avocado and olives. I had some nuts and coconut flakes last night and the symptoms were worse.

My enthusiasm for the Whole 30 is decreasing and I have been thinking fondly about oatmeal, rice and white potatoes. Mostly I am eating boiled eggs, bananas, grilled chicken and talapia, and vegetables. I had one baked apple, which was ok.

One very good thing is that I stopped taking Zantac for acid flux Saturday, and I have not had any heartburn or coughing. This is huge because it is very possible that the drugs I was taking for acid reflux (Prevacid and Zantac) led to this collagenous colitis, according to some respected websites.

I am going to continue eating grilled meat and veggies, and I think I will start keeping a log of food and symptoms on paper. I have an appt with a gastro doc Tuesday.

Archived