Start date Mon. Feb 12th 2018

Micaela P

22 hours ago, Sunshine2020 said:

Yes it will pass. The first time I did Whole30 I did not have these systems. Guess I really was eating a lot of sugar!

Lanette

I didn't post on day 3 but the withdrawal symptoms were tougher than in the past Whole30s I've done too. Headachy hangover feeling in the afternoon - I felt like going to bed at about 7:30pm! I guess a sign my diet was really off the rails!

I'm not so big on Valentine's day so that wasn't a struggle for me, but glad everyone found a compliant way to enjoy! My daughter did make a delicious smelling carrot bread.... even just the smell of it baking was a treat.

I'm feeling pretty good today - a little brighter. Breakfast was boiled eggs (sliced with my new slicer - yay!) with a bit of salmon and avocado in lettuce cups. Lunch will be leftover soup, and dinner will be a paleo pasta sauce over spiralized veggies!

Can't believe it's day 4 already.... would it be weird to say this is going too fast? -- I'm sure I won't be saying that in a week :-)

Diana

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Happy day 4! Passed up lots of office treats thes last few days. I’m feeling pretty good overall. Really liked the chili from the Whole30 book, and it’s been an easy lunch this week. By dinner, I’m feeling tired and less interested in eating since nothing compliant sounds good. Anyone else experiencing this? 

Hey guys feeling pretty good today food-wise. Not so good news-wise. Ugh....

Anyway, I made the salmon cakes from the Whole30 book last night and I thought they were fantastic. That was also part of my 1st breakfast and 2nd breakfast. :)

I had the weirdest dream that I was eating my kids cheese puffs (which we don't even buy) and I noticed after the second puff what it was and was trying to quickly wash my mouth out. I was thinking in my dream "on NO! I have to start over!!"

@emily13631 I do feel blah about breakfast, but I'm trying to change my usual habits...

I look forward to checking in and seeing how you all are doing and what you're making for food! Day 4  1/2-way done. 

8 hours ago, jenrunsaustin said:

I feel much better physically today - Mentally having a hard time not being able to comfort eat base on my anger on some of the events happening in the world my views of changes needed that are not appropriate to discuss here... anyways..

@Shelly :) - Instant pot is a do everything - ie last night made gumbo. - sauted the sausage, added the other ingredients - pressure setting for 5 minutes (plus warm up) - then back to saute (for an open cook) to add in the shrimp to just cook a little bit - all in the same pot, super fast, super easy.  Even cooks hard boiled eggs really well.  Also slow cooks.

@Sunshine2020 why no mashed potatoes??  I made some super yummy ones that had full fat coconut milk and Ghee - so beyond my expectations.

I thought I had replied...but guess I didn't. I didn't eat mashed potatoes because it was instant potatoes with skim milk.

I got home to late, was going to make thai soup. But just going to eat sweet potato and and my soup I made earlier this week. Has anyone signed up for Meal Planner? This is something I did throughout the year to help with ideas too. I need to really plan for next week. 

Off to eat and watching olympics!

Lanette

Oh @jenrunsaustin those mashed potatoes sound divine!  I need to try them. 

@Shelly :) your dream was hilarious!  I want to make those salmon cakes, but I can’t find canned sweet potatoes (other than ones canned with syrup). Maybe we can’t get them in Canada. I guess I could just mash my own sweet potatoes. They sound yummy, so good to hear you tried the recipe. 

Today we had to drive to “the big city”. I packed my spinach, protein salad & sugar snap peas for lunch & brought some almonds. Hub went to Wendy’s & a burger & fries & it didn’t even bother me!  I’m sure if I was further into this it would have! :) 

Watching hockey & I won’t lie...chips would be good. But I’m not even hungry...just bad habits. Having a cup of tea instead. Day 4 in the books!

Had some Poke Poke last night with a friend, it was quite humorous to listen to us talk with the "cook" (not sure of the term to use since it is raw tuna) ended up being compliant when we got down to the coconut amino acids instead of the soy sauce and we got the avocado, cucumber, and tomato salad instead of the rice.

My Run yesterday was really hard (very hilly) and I felt like I had no energy in my legs, but got done what I wanted to - just slower. 

No headache today or body aches - yay, but still tired an lacking motivation and focus on my work tasks.  (Did have to run from the room after our meeting since they brought breakfast tacos which are much harder for me to turn down than a doughnut)

@Sunshine2020 Lanette, just start typing "@" and the poster's "user name" and our user names will come up.

@SalW great job on packing a healthy lunch and sticking to it! I was feeling like having something special last night so I had Kombucha. GT Dave's has a winter edition: Hibiscus, roses, blood orange. Soooo delightful. And those salmon cakes keep on feeding me...having them again right now for breakfast. Our natural food stores have canned potato with nothing else. But a baked one would work fine. You only need a cup.

Last night I made Applegate sausages, Whole30 cauliflower rice and the roasted beet, orange and avocado salad. I thought the salad was great but a bit time consuming to make.

I think the most challenging thing for me so far is keeping blood sugar under control. Its been a rollercoaster the last couple of days. :wacko:

Hello on day 5!  @jenrunsaustin hope you got through your snack attack!!  

Back to feeling crappy with this cold...not sure if part of it is feeling yucky from eating changes?  Lack of appetite again today. Finally had brekkie at 10 & really didn’t want anything for lunch but knew that was asking for trouble. Finally threw a salad together with leftover chicken & veggies & spinach & used the curry sauce. It was good & I was glad I forced myself to eat. I think I’ll try the mashed potatoes with coconut milk & ghee, along with leftover chicken & green beans for dinner.  Notice I put the potatoes first...excited about those! :) 

@Shelly :) I will have to look for the canned sweet potatoes at a health food store next time we go to the city. My daughter works in the marketing dept for a health food store & I asked her if they carry them & she said no....I think she said no without checking because she doesn’t think I should be eating veggies from a can. :-|. 

i do notice I’m not feeling bloaty when I go to bed & the acid reflux has disappeared. 

Okay...we’re almost to the weekend - any challenges?

Sallee

I am up to a challenge..:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Who has one for all of us?

I just survived being with my parents. My mom was this food and this food and this food. I just kept saying, Mom, I can't eat that - Dairy, Dairy, Dairy. Then it was eat this soup - again dairy. But I still had fun with them. We went to a restaurant. I ordered egg whites with spinach, yellow squash, zucchini for lunch and it was prepared in compliance. It was yummy!  

@SalW Guessing having a cold may be throwing you off. But I am proud that you are eating... Per the book it may the combo of cold and new eating habits. Just remember to take care of yourself!

Lanette

Wow, @Sunshine2020 your lunch sounds awesome...how nice that the restaurant was willing to work with you. And you didn’t cave to your mom’s suggestions! :)  sounds like you had a great time. 

I think my biggest hurdle is going to be going out to eat. Hasn’t happened yet. A bit scary. 

But I have to rave about mashed potatoes with coconut milk & ghee!!  I contained myself & only took a small helping & was satisfied with that, chicken & green beans. But oh my, so good!  I will be making some into little cakes to saute in coconut oil & have with eggs in the morning!  Hub raved about them too. 

Wow, day 5 done!  :D

Hey everyone!  I started the 13 th and am wondering if you mind if I jump on this thread as I can't find any for the 13th.

It's my 1st Whole 30 and I'm going it alone.  I am doing well so far, over the tiredness.  I was never a huge sugar addict (only in wine!) but it's the chips I miss!  And the ease of reaching into my pantry for something.  I started this Whole 30 to change exactly that.  I have had gut issues for years now and since I started this clean eating I have already had improvement!  

Lookign forward to the journey!

It is actually going pretty well today, ran with my group, a little bit tough, then walked with some other friends that included a stop for breakfast which was sweet potato hash with a couple eggs.  What is really surprising to me is I am not just pacing around the house trying not to eat, which is pretty typical of Saturdays.   I am just comfortable and good with just my meals.  I will savor this moment!

Welcome, @AmberinCanada!  The more the merrier & I’m happy to have a fellow Canuck join us!  

@jenrunsaustin I’m glad your breakfast went well today - your choice sounds perfect!  I am feeling the same, I actually don’t even think about eating between meals, which is unusual. Of course that could all change...hahahahaha. I find I’m full after meals, but not uncomfortably so & it carries me through until the next meal. I almost messed up today. I went into my baking drawer, where I keep the ghee & found my hand going towards the open choc chip bag. Not because I wanted any, but just out of habit!  Thankfully I realized what I was doing. Yikes. 

I tried 2 new recipes today...the shepherds pie & the coleslaw. Both were very good, with enough leftovers for another meal plus a bit (always a bonus). At lunch I had such a yummy salad...spinach, peppers, celery, avocado topped with warm leftover chicken & curry sauce. I adore that curry sauce!!  

Interesting development...hubby is interested in joining me on the Whole 30!  He won’t for another week (won’t be a true Whole 30) as next week he is working (we’re retired, but he’s helping a buddy) & then next weekend he’s in an out of town hockey tournament. But I’m thrilled he’s been observing & asking questions. He has been eating the dinners & enjoying them & not eating sugary desserts (because I’m not making them...ha). Anyway, I’m pleased by that. I’ve rattled on too much...we’ve made it through Day 6!

I absolutely loved the spiralized veggies with pasta sauce the other night. I made zucchini, carrot and potato noodles and they were so delicious and fun and colorful. I had some of the left over "noodles" with boiled egg for breakfast and a little homemade mayo for a deconstructed egg salad. I went out to lunch with a friend to a tacqueria and they gave me just a side of the carne asada with a side of their shredded cabbage salad and salsa - it was tough to give up the chips but it was otherwise perfectly satisfying. More "noodles" and grilled tri-tip tonight - this time beet, butternut squash and zucchini.

I had a dream about biting into a cookie someone gave me and then remembering Whole30 and trying to spit it out (without being rude). So funny. Then today I was in class getting a cup of coffee and absentmindedly put in a packet of creamer. I realized and dumped it out and got a cup of black coffee.

So far so good! 

@SalW I'm going to have to try the chicken curry next! 

On 2/16/2018 at 2:53 PM, SalW said:

i do notice I’m not feeling bloaty when I go to bed & the acid reflux has disappeared.

Me too! And my back is less achy in the morning!

Glad you are joining us @AmberinCanada! The tiredness is my number one symptom too this week. (And I may be coming down with a cold....could all be mixed together.)

@SalW the chocolate chips!!! I was making muffins for my boys today and I always eat a couple while I'm making them, but had to keep reminding myself. :) So nice that your husband is interested! I think even a week without sugar can affect most people in a positive way. My brother and sister-in-law are finishing up their Whole30 tomorrow. My SIL is continuing with a paleo diet after. 

Today was full of leftovers from yesterday. I had an Rx bar and an apple for lunch as I was on the go, but plan on making meatballs (doubled) tomorrow so I can freeze some. I would like to try the shepherds pie too! Glad you liked it @SalW.

The big challenge this weekend? My son's birthday. When I was explaining my diet to my boys a couple days ago, the first thing my 6-year-old said was "so you can't have any of my birthday cake!?!?" I told him we could make another cake after my diet was over.....Ha. Maybe!

I like to enjoy a glass or two of wine on Friday nights, so I was "feeling" the diet last night. But as soon as distract myself with something else it passes.

I'm getting even more curious about the reintroduction period. Which things I'll let back in and which things will be worth it to give up.

3 minutes ago, dnewc said:

I absolutely loved the spiralized veggies with pasta sauce the other night.

had a dream about biting into a cookie someone gave me and then remembering Whole30 and trying to spit it out (without being rude).

You're making me want a spiralizer!!! :)

The dream is too funny. At least we're getting it out of our system while sleeping!!!

Hello. All! 

I had to work at a Speech meet for my youngest who is a senior. I was a room monitor - and direct traffic. Fell off my chair with my computer in my hand - felt like I was in High School which was almost 33 years ago. Was a klutz then, still am.

My biggest challenge this weekend was the speech meet: I also worked in the concession stand: Pizza, Cold Stone Ice cream and POP! Candy! Bagels! I was surprise how many kids had Mountain Dew and Skittles - some of the worst things for our teeth, besides the diet. A mom I worked with who has become a new friend said the kids have been up really early, but I was so disappointed in their diets...Now most were twigs - boys and girls, but I was a twig in high school and it caught up with me in my later years, and I didn't even eat that junk! 

I am having a lunch meeting today. I have to make sure to make good choices, laundry, paperwork, laundry, cleaning and planning meals for the week. I find when I am at home, I do want to nibble more often. 

@shelli :)  What kind of RX bar did you have. I looked at many of them, but wasn't sure what to pick that was compliant?

Okay I missed it somewhere  - who has a spiral that works great?   I bought a cheap one and it did not work at all!

We are almost a 1/4 thru already. It is amazing how you will start to feel better and others want to jump in too. This really is a life style change. Thinking about patterns. grabbing a couple chocolate chips, drinking wine (Okay I really miss a glass). But you all are so strong! Just remember that!!:wub:

Lanette

23 hours ago, Sunshine2020 said:

Welcome!!

It has it ups and down, but will help with the GI for sure. When you complete, you will want to introduce foods slowly. The book does a great job explaining this.

Lanette 

I am borrowing a copy from a friend as it's tough to stomach $36 bucks when I am spending $16 on ghee lol. I should get it tomorrow!

Archived