Start date Mon. Feb 12th 2018

Micaela P

I have added mushrooms, I have made one with shredded potatoes for a crust. Lots of variety. My family likes it!

@SalW I am so glad you have the opportunity to eat what you want without your husband. And try new foods. 

So glad I have tomorrow off, going for a massage and tennis with the Seniors. Technically I am 50, so I count as a senior to play tennis with them. Funny some of them are 80+, even a couple of 90+ year olds. I want to be like that, they are thin and healthy and moving!

@jenrunsaustin - Hope all is well. 

Lanette

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the recipes @Sunshine2020. That quiche looks yummy. I made Melissa's Chicken Hash pg 228 for dinner tonight. I thought the flavors were really good but my sweet potato was so huge so it overpowered the dish a bit. Glad to have leftovers for tomorrow!

Yesterday was my eating out day with lunch and dinner. We have a Paleo restaurant here in Boulder so I went there and had a delicious chorizo wrap. I couldn't eat the beet soup (it had syrup) so they made crispy Brussels sprouts for me. I think I could eat there daily! So good. Dinner out was for my bookclub, so I called the restaurant in advance and was transferred to 3 people, the last being the owner who could actually answer my questions! He helped me pick out a dish that they could make compliant. So glad I called, as the waitstaff are not native english speakers and I of course don't speak Nepali. Eating out is so challenging!!!! I feel bad that some people have to eat out a lot when they are on the Whole30. 

Apparently we are past the hardest days? Whooo hooo! I am so bored with eggs. I'm going to make some turkey sausage tomorrow for my breakfasts. Costco here had compliant chicken meatballs and plain grilled chicken in the freezer section. I thought those would be good for quick meals. I'm eating way more meat than I used to. Not really craving anything today (other than a live-in chef who can make me whatever I want, when I want it). 

@SalW I do that too when my husband is out of town. But I usually also drink wine and watch a chick flick. :) Have fun!!!

How are the rest of you doing? I underestimated the mental work this way of eating requires. Changing habits....

Wow, @Shelly :) fabulous job with your eating out..good for you for being pro-active. So far there is no eating out planned for me while on Whole30, but I did add a dinner out with friends on March 17th into my calendar today. ;-).  

Thank you for the yummy recipes, @Sunshine2020....I’ve printed them both off. Always nice to try something new. I tried the Pork Sausage Patties for supper & they were good!  I had to bake longer than the recipe said...I found the same for the Pork Tenderloin recipe. Hubby liked them too!  I also tried the carmelized onion recipe & they were okay, but they tasted a bit burnt (in fact hubby asked if carmelized meant burnt...smart a$$). I’m not sure if it was because I used sweet onions. I’ll have to ask my friend that just finished Whole30 as she raved about the carmelized onions & said she made them so many times. 

Time for my evening tea!  Enjoy the rest of your night. 

Sallee

Anybody else feeling dehydrated? I feel like I'm drinking lots of water and herbal tea but always wake up with a totally dry mouth.

It's been great checking in and seeing how everybody is doing and getting inspired for some new dishes to try. Thanks for the support!

@jenrunsaustin - I felt exactly the same on my 3rd Whole30. I think I was battling some depression at the time and what I interpreted as deprivation was making me sad so I quit. I wasn't participating in any forum and I was doing it alone so I wasn't accountable. I am not recommending it but I totally get it. I also run and was feeling sluggish, slow, and my heart rate was climbing higher than normal too. I think it has to do with adapting to lower carbs. This time I am trying to work in more hikes and self-paced trail runs and not timed runs. 

Yesterday I had a bacon lettuce and tomato salad and made turkey mushroom stroganoff for dinner (sorry I don't have the exact recipe but I looked at one online then went and bought groceries and dove in) - tasty easy and pretty quick. It called for ghee, red onion, sliced mushrooms, cubed turkey seasoned and dredged in compliant flour (I used turkey tenderloin and tapioca flour), broth, heaping tablespoon dijon, full fat coconut milk, lemon, salt and black pepper to taste. And I served it on - surprise - spiralized zucchini! My daughter had it on rice and said that was good too.

I agree - breakfast is a little challenging... I eat a lot of leftovers. I also sometimes make a stovetop frittata with veggies (or leftovers) in it. I've been doing a lot of boiled eggs this time and making salads... and before a hike or jog I have my compliant muesli as a pre-workout snack. 

Day 11! Woohoo! 

@dnewc would you share your muesli recipe?  That sounds really appealing right now. I bought "Malk" at whole foods yesterday. Almond milk with 3 ingredients. I haven't tried it yet, will let you guys know if its worth it. :)

And YES I've been super dehydrated too. Its really cold here right now so I didn't know if its the diet or temperatures or both!

@Shelly :) so it's not exactly a recipe - you can basically add whatever you want in whatever proportions you want. I usually use maybe roughly equal parts toasted coconut flakes, sliced almonds, walnut pieces, then maybe a half part pepitas, sunflower seeds, raisins , and cut up dried mango (check for no sulfites and sugar in the fruit). It is so rich and filling I usually have only a handful - about 1/4 cup - an a small bowl with almond milk. The coconut flakes and sliced almonds give it the "cereal" feeling. 

Really struggling tonight....so craving chips, but I won’t give in. Watching tv & every commercial is for snacks. :blink:   Had 2 cups of tea & some almonds...I will get through this. Weird day - felt fine when I got up, had a normal brekkie & then mid morning my tummy was not feeling good at all. I asked hubby how he was as I was afraid it was the Pork sausage patties from last night, but he was fine. So maybe I’m having a delayed body reaction to the Whole30?  At lunch I just could not eat & just had a pear & a cup of tea (that was the only thing that I thought I could get down).  By supper everything felt back to normal & I made the spaghetti squash recipe, which was soooo good....pure comfort food. I’m thinking I just didn’t get enough food today, that’s why I’m struggling with cravings tonight. Hopefully things will be back on track tomorrow. 

Happy weekend everyone!

Sallee

@dnewc that sounds very satisfying. I'm excited to try it.

I made a regular recipe tonight with some modifications. Its really good and the coconut rice is delish when you're eating grains again. I made the coconut cauliflower rice for myself and I subbed Cholula & fish sauce for the Sriracha as I couldn't find one without sugar.

https://food52.com/recipes/26046-crispy-coconut-kale-with-roasted-salmon-and-coconut-rice

How are you guys doing? I'm feeling pretty normal except for what all these veggies are doing to my digestive tract. Will I get used to it? Or will I always feel uncomfortable. Ha. :blink: That and the thirst and tiredness. I guess I'm not tooooo normal yet.

How’s everyone doing? I can’t believe we are almost at 2 weeks! Excited to make a spaghetti squash casserole tomorrow. Had a good workout today. My energy is really good. Of course I miss things, but it feels manageable. I love that I don’t reward myself with food, and I had no idea how frequently I was doing that. 

Today I came back from shopping at Costco and my husband was baking MORE cookies!! Chocolate chip this time. It smelled really good - which was kinda nice actually - but I had a little piece of a coconut choc rx bar with a few almonds to satisfy the cookie urge... very much like an almond joy! 

On 2/22/2018 at 9:06 PM, AmberinCanada said:

It's a hard day today, craving bread...pizza...melted cheese and wine....i'm not giving up, just having a pity party for myself. :-)

Oh yes -- I often find myself thinking "Boy, this would be good with some cheese!"

Breakfast and lunch today were really basic and salady, but I did make some zucchini hummus which was pretty good. I got a nice big bag of brussel sprouts from costco and made roasted sprouts and sweet potato with compliant chicken sausage.

Day 14 almost over!! tomorrow is the halfway mark then it's all downhill!

Hello. It has been a tough weekend. Not with the food, just more the emotional side. I finally made my Thai soup, it is delicious, but I felt a lot of water retention....

I went and did Mom's on the Run for the first time. It was really fun! per watch 4.91 miles, so probs about 4.5. Felt good, little sore, but a good sore.

I am glad that we have 2 weeks almost done. it is strange how some moments feel so easy, and then others - ummmm not so.

I made loaded baked potato, but forgot to add the coconut milk. But it still was a success with the family. 

How is everyone feeling so far?

@dnewc I got Brussels sprouts at Costco too. And the pre-cut butternut squash. Made the balsamic roasted sweet potatoes and Brussels sprouts recipe last night on pg 262. Subbed the squash for the potatoes.

We had dinner at friends house last night and I told them not to worry about me, that I'd bring something I could eat but my friend asked question and after question and when I got there she explained all she had made and most of dinner was compliant! So sweet. Kinda embarrassing to add more restrictions as they often cook around my family's existing food restrictions. I'm #thatfriend. :unsure:

@Sunshine2020 sorry about the tough weekend. Hang in there. But yay on the Mom's run!!!

In general I'd say I feel impatient right now. I'd like to see some changes -- primarily the brain fog, but I'm still feeling a little behind on energy, sleep, etc. And I'm pretty sure I've gained weight only because some of my pants are tighter!! Ugh. Ha ha. Oh well. I'm going to cut back a bit on the amounts of food per meal. I was following the cheat sheet but maybe that's too much for me.

Tonight I'm making Cashew-crusted chicken and wilted kale salad from the Whole30 Fast and Easy book. I got the regular Whole30 cookbook from the library, but the recipes in general are more labor-intensive with longer ingredient lists. Fast and Easy is more my speed. :)

Have a great day!!!!

Week three, here we come!

Oh @dnewc I’m so glad my husband doesn’t bake!  This is testing your commitment & you’re doing so good!  My husband is really missing my baking, but I was doing way too much of it since retiring. I give a bunch away, but had been consuming too much of it!!

@emily13631 how did your spaghetti squash casserole turn out?  What all is in it?  Man, I love spaghetti squash!

@Sunshine2020 I’m sorry you had an emotionally tough weekend. Hope this week is better for you!

@Shelly :) did you get the Fast & Easy cookbook at Costco?  We have to go into the city on Thurs & thought we’d do a Costco run. What a sweet friend you have!  It’s all in the way you approach it...you obviously are a very good friend to her. 

I had a hilarious dream last night. I was making a verrrry cheesy grilled cheese sandwich....cheese was melting all over the place. My husband came in to the kitchen & said “I thought you weren’t allowed cheese.”  I said I didn’t care...I was having it, not starting over & not telling my Whole30 group!  So defiant!!  I giggled when I remembered the dream. :)

Wow....day 15!!  I truly didn’t think I’d make it this far. It’s helped that we haven’t had any social events so far....  I’m finding the mindset is fairly easy...it’s all the cooking & dishes that are the toughest for me!

Happy Monday everyone!

Sallee

you all are cracking me up with your dreams of food. I am not sure if I have ever dreamed of food...That happens when I am awake!

My husband made his first beef roast in the crock pot. Just the meat - but was good.

I think I am cranky. Not a usual feeling for me, but I am feeling a little depleted. I want chocolate!!! 

I had been thinking of a costco membership for a long time. Was the brussel sprouts and potatoes - frozen?

The book is great!  Glad you all made the investment. Well worth it.

@Shelly :) how was dinner? It sounds yummy!

Any have an idea of a beverage that satisfies? I need something...

Lanette

Whew....that was tough. Felt bad for hubby that there isn’t baking available for him, so I made a banana chip loaf for him. I had to have a paper towel right there so I wouldn’t forget that I couldn’t lick my fingers!  I measure the choc chips by handfuls...I swear they were tingling in my hand!!  :o  But I got through the ordeal unscathed...no batter or choc chips crossed these lips!  I hope he appreciates it....  I made the salmon cakes yesterday & really liked them!  Hubby thought they were “okay”. Well, too bad...he’s getting them again today...punishment for enjoying the baking. I guess I’m mean when denied baking....  Hehehe!

@Sunshine2020 brussels and butternut squash were fresh at Costco. They have organic blueberries right now (here) that are sooo good. And the dinner recipe was OK. I think they must have pan-fried the chicken first for the photography because mine was pale and not crispy. Salad wasn't enough bulk. In the future I'd fry the chicken and finish in the oven. Reduce the onions and increase the Kale. Side of baked potato?

I'm really enjoying GT Dave's kombucha for a beverage. The winter edition with hibiscus. Smells like roses! Very light and bubbly.

I made the Perfect Sausage recipe yesterday to have on hand for breakfast. They are simple and very good!

Today was the day full of cravings for me. I wanted some salty chips so bad! And then I wanted chocolate! (I think because my breakfast and lunch were not enough.)

@SalW good work on resisting all that deliciousness. ;) I gave my husband some feta to put on his salad. That was his treat.

Tonight we had boiled yukons with olive oil and ghee, big green salad, leftover chicken and also Applegate sweet Italian chicken sausages. 

On 2/27/2018 at 7:14 PM, Shelly :) said:

I'm really enjoying GT Dave's kombucha for a beverage. The winter edition with hibiscus. Smells like roses! Very light and bubbly.

I totally second GT's. My favorite flavor is Euphoria - but it's kind of intense with cayenne and ginger so I usually cut it with sparkling water. 

Another Costco purchase - I bought a nice tuna steak and made some poke with coconut aminos, cucumber, scallions, rice wine vinegar, sesame seed oil and chili flakes. Yum. tonight's dinner was a chicken stir fry with onion, mushroom, red bell pepper and broccoli.

Anyone noticing any changes now that we are past the halfway point? I'm sleeping really well, er.. less gas and tummy trouble in general, I believe my muffin top is noticeably smaller and I'm starting to feel clear headed and more focused.

@Shelly :) and anyone who is totally craving chocolate, Trader Joe's has a 100% chocolate bar. That's compliant. By itself it's kind of inedible in my opinion, but when I did whole30 with my daughter she was dying for some chocolate so we got one of these bars and melted it and dipped strawberries in it. It was quite strong so you don't really want to eat much but it was delicious and satisfying. She also made something like a Lara bar with 100% chocolate, dates, dried cherries and almonds. We cut it in tiny squares and kept it in the fridge for emergencies. 

Day 17 down! Wow, really?

@dnewc I like your chocolate idea! I've been doing something similar. I bought the unsweetened Cholaca (liquid cacao) and mixed it with Malk (almond milk) and steamed it for a treat. Its not sweet, but I like dark chocolate so it satisfied the chocolate craving.

Glad you are experiencing some positive changes! I think my skin is clearer, but haven't noticed much else yet. Fingers crossed.

Hmmm...the positive...sleeping better, more energy, more clairity, no belly bloat, clearer eyes & skin....so there's that.  

I am echoing the emotional sentiment.  Feeling super thankful we are heading into the home stretch.  I think if I do the Whole 30 again, I would want a partner to do it with.  It can be pretty lonely and feel a little alienating when you're by yourself.  

Drink wise...I have been enjoying the GT's kombucha as well.  I found a few different flavours  today that I am looking forward to trying.

i am going to try the tangy BBQ sauce and do a pulled pork bowl tomorrow.  Anyone try that yet?

Archived