Brand New- Starting 2/19/18

pbnJessie

Hello!

I am so excited to start my first Whole 30 this coming Monday- February 19th. Recently, I got engaged and am in the throws of wedding planning our June wedding. With all the stress of planning the big day, plus working full time at a relatively new job, I have to admit I have let me health get away from me...

I am super pumped to hit the reset button with the Whole 30. The only big concern I am having is that I am not much of a meat eater, so acclimating to eating meat every day may be a tough one for me.

I'm new and also starting today. After my workout I had baked avocado, eggs, bacon and oranges. I could not find bacon without sugar, so I chose the one where it was the 4th on the ingredients list. My biggest challenge will be sweets at night. I did buy some pineapple, so hopefully that can become my new nighttime treat.  

Same here! I had sugar cravings last night when I usually would have some ice cream or yogurt and granola- reached for a banana and a handful of pumpkin seeds instead!

If anyone here wants more one on one accountability, feel free to private message me also!

What is everyone eating today?!

29 minutes ago, pbnJessie said:

Same here! I had sugar cravings last night when I usually would have some ice cream or yogurt and granola- reached for a banana and a handful of pumpkin seeds instead!

If anyone here wants more one on one accountability, feel free to private message me also!

I grabbed some pineapple! 

For breakfast I'm going to have eggs and bacon, then me and a gf are doing lunch - she knows I'm on w30 so we are going to a great salad place.  I'll put a chicken in the oven for dinner and do a salad mix with some sweet pot's. Tomorrow I can use the rest of the chicken for a soup. 

1 minute ago, Jennifer K said:

I grabbed some pineapple! 

For breakfast I'm going to have eggs and bacon, then me and a gf are doing lunch - she knows I'm on w30 so we are going to a great salad place.  I'll put a chicken in the oven for dinner and do a salad mix with some sweet pot's. Tomorrow I can use the rest of the chicken for a soup. 

Sounds Perfect!

I am still afraid of trying to go out to eat while doing the whole 30. This girl definitely rides the struggle bus when it comes to self-discipline and restaurants, hah!

4 hours ago, pbnJessie said:

Today I made an egg and veggie scramble with a couple of mini potatoes~ served with a bed of micrgreens/salsa/avocado.

mid morning snack: sliced veggies with my favorite (compliant) green goddess dressing and a handful of almonds.

lunch:big salad topped with salmon leftover from last night.

afternoon snack:green apple slices with almond butter

dinner:chicken served with cauliflower rice and a salad 

last night I snacked on a handful of raisins/dried coconut/cashews~ going to work on not making a habit out of the evening snack since I wasn't hungry at all from dinner. Normally I have tea with a drop of stevia at night, so will have to try tea without the drop :( 

Day 3 -- woot woot! 

Meals today-

B- 2 boiled eggs, bacon

L - baked chicken thigh quarter, squash noodles, kale salad

D - same as lunch

I'm finding it easiest right now to make L&D the same meal. Less cooking! My carbs are going to be super low ( for me) today. Around 40 g. If it's too much, I'll add fruit or sweet pot to dinner. 

Yesterday I felt kinda irritable and tired. Didn't sleep the best last night, either, but that could be because my hubby came to bed late and had to get up super early - plus the cat decided I was a trampoline in the middle of the night! :angry:

Hey everyone! Beginning of day 3 for me. I am still feeling fine (but wating for the other shoe to drop). I keep having mild headaches towards the end of the day, but they go away.

I've been to the market a few times without cravings; totally weird! Has anyone else had an issue with nausea between meals?.

Here is what I will be eating today:

B:  butternut squash breakfast sausage

L: Roasted chicken with green beans and walnuts.

D: Slow cooker shredded beef with a baked sweet potato.

We got this!

If I don't have a snack, I get nausea between meals. I really want to quit my snacks bc I fully agree that it's best for digestion, but not sure how. I do a mid morning snack and a mid afternoon snack. I also have adrenal fatigue and my health care worker wants me to eat every 2 hours. I'm curious if this will change with whole30. 

Oh Guys.... Yesterday I was DRIVING the struggle bus.

Was so cranky, had a headache all day and a low grade fever in the evening. No sugar cravings but I am missing my beans and grains! I had no idea how much my emotions were going to be connected to this...by the end of the day I felt so overwhelmed that I wanted to cry.

I stayed strong and compliant though! Breakfast was 2 eggs, some avocado and a banana. Lunch was curry chicken salad with cabbage slaw and dinner was steak, sweet potato and broccoli green curry. I did have a snack before bedtime of a spoonful of almond butter and a small handful of raw pumpkin seeds.

This morning is the complete opposite! I have so much energy, no headache, no indigestion and am feeling very positive!

I feel for my fiancee, every time we talk he has no idea what to expect! Hah!

Sorry for the novel. How is everyone feeling today?! What is on your menu?

• Administrators
26 minutes ago, pbnJessie said:

Oh Guys.... Yesterday I was DRIVING the struggle bus.

Was so cranky, had a headache all day and a low grade fever in the evening. No sugar cravings but I am missing my beans and grains! I had no idea how much my emotions were going to be connected to this...by the end of the day I felt so overwhelmed that I wanted to cry.

I stayed strong and compliant though! Breakfast was 2 eggs, some avocado and a banana. Lunch was curry chicken salad with cabbage slaw and dinner was steak, sweet potato and broccoli green curry. I did have a snack before bedtime of a spoonful of almond butter and a small handful of raw pumpkin seeds.

This morning is the complete opposite! I have so much energy, no headache, no indigestion and am feeling very positive!

I feel for my fiancee, every time we talk he has no idea what to expect! Hah!

Sorry for the novel. How is everyone feeling today?! What is on your menu?

Hey @pbnJessie - sorry you weren't feeling well. You might feel better if you increase the size of your breakfast.  Eggs when they are your sole protein, are measured by as many as you can hold in your hand without dropping; usually 3-4 is a good start for most people. Also add 2-3 cups of veggies to that breakfast.

For your lunch make sure you have at least 1-2 palm sizes of protein (that's the equivalent of your palm's length, width and thickness). Veggies again are to be 2-3 cups so don't skimp. 

Although you're feeling better today (yay!), still you might make the changes above because nutrition is cumulative. You don't want to under-eat for days and then end up on Day 10 or 12 feeling horrendous.

• Administrators
12 hours ago, Holiday said:

If I don't have a snack, I get nausea between meals. I really want to quit my snacks bc I fully agree that it's best for digestion, but not sure how. I do a mid morning snack and a mid afternoon snack. I also have adrenal fatigue and my health care worker wants me to eat every 2 hours. I'm curious if this will change with whole30. 

Hi @Holiday - the way to rid yourself of snacking is to eat meals large enough and well composed enough to last you 4-5 hours between. Maybe post a sample of your typical day and we can see how to help you edit the meals. I can't comment on the adrenal fatigue because not a doctor, but we do know that by eating every 4-5 hours and not snacking, our hormones rebalance, our digestive system gets a rest and our blood sugar regulates. If you really think about it, eating every 2 hours is not natural. At no point in history did we have the availability of food-at-an-instant like we do now and because that didn't exist, our bodies were not designed to have to pack snacks around. Once you get to the point where you're fat adapted (helped in part by meal timing described above), your body can switch to fat burning and use body fat as fuel so you don't get that energy drop that makes you feel sick.

• Administrators
21 hours ago, Tinyrn2011 said:

Hey everyone! Beginning of day 3 for me. I am still feeling fine (but wating for the other shoe to drop). I keep having mild headaches towards the end of the day, but they go away.

I've been to the market a few times without cravings; totally weird! Has anyone else had an issue with nausea between meals?.

Here is what I will be eating today:

B:  butternut squash breakfast sausage

L: Roasted chicken with green beans and walnuts.

D: Slow cooker shredded beef with a baked sweet potato.

We got this!

As mentioned to Holiday above, that nauseous feeling between meals can be because you're not fat adapted and your body wants/expects easy-burn fuel every couple hours.

That said, you are not eating enough by the looks of it which can cause nausea and if further perpetuated, lack of appetite which causes nausea and the nasty circle continues.

Each meal should have 1-2 palms worth of protein, 2-3+ cups of cooked veggie or equivalent and 1-2 servings of fat. Your breakfast appears to only have sausage (likely not 1-2 palms worth) and squash (mixed in?) which wouldn't be enough veggies. Also, fat?

Make sure your lunch includes that template as well. 1-2 palms of the chicken, 2-3 cups of the green beans or the beans + another veggie. And make sure you add fat to your dinner as well as a non-starchy veggie if you have it available. 

These recommendations are for the best possible results for hormones, blood sugar balance and energy. 

Edited to add: @Jennifer K - I've just read your rundown also and you could also benefit by increasing your breakfast protein and adding veggies and then making sure you're getting enough protein, fat and veggies at the next meals. Not sure what a baked chicken thigh quarter is? I hope you don't mean a quarter of a chicken thigh?

• Administrators
On 19/02/2018 at 9:18 AM, Jennifer K said:

I'm new and also starting today. After my workout I had baked avocado, eggs, bacon and oranges. I could not find bacon without sugar, so I chose the one where it was the 4th on the ingredients list. My biggest challenge will be sweets at night. I did buy some pineapple, so hopefully that can become my new nighttime treat.  

Hey @Jennifer K - unfortunately this bacon would not be compliant with the program. No sugar of any sort. That said, you don't have to eat bacon on Whole30 if you can't find a compliant source. Some people are more successful at finding compliant prosciutto and then giving that a super quick flash-fry in the pan.

We also recommend if you have a sweets issue that you are hoping to rid yourself of, that you don't substitute compliant sweet foods like fruits. The only way to kill that sugar dragon and rid yourself of the psychological "need" for an evening sweet is to stop doing it. If you absolutely have to eat something, go for protein and fat but leave off anything sweet or you'll be in the same place at the end as when you started. Let me know if you need further explanation or craving-buster ideas. :) 

• Moderators
On 2/20/2018 at 4:56 AM, pbnJessie said:

If you want to get rid of sugar cravings, don't feed them fruit and nuts... your brain doesn't know the difference between a snickers and a banana when it comes to sugar, all it knows is it threw a tantrum and won.  If you can't distract the craving away, go for something salty/briney like some olives or something fatty like guacamole... 

Well, while I stayed compliant yesterday, and felt great most of the day. Dinner was kinda a fail. Had to get 5 fillings at the dentist, so I couldn’t really chew or open my mouth too wide... made proteins difficult. 

Ended up doing scrambled  eggs with kale, some bone broth, avocado and a banana. Which I know probably wasn’t enough, but it was all I could chew.

the rest of the day was great though! Happy 5th day everyone!!

• Administrators
4 hours ago, Jennifer K said:

Last night was a bit rough for me. Felt angry, irritable, wanted sweets badly. It's the week before my period, so that doesn't help either. 

Hey @Jennifer K - that'll be a bit rough that you'll be having your period right around Days 10/11 which are notoriously the hardest days. :( Make sure you're eating enough, probably more than you think you need. We often need more food leading up to and during our periods and that's OK. If you have to eat between meals, prioritize protein and fat and overall make sure you're including at least a fist sized serving of starchy veggie each day. It does help! 

Archived