Any successful Senior Whole30 stories?

Melmike

Day 18.  I’m wondering if there are any success stories for seniors out there.  I need some encouragement!  Both of my daughters are doing great on the 30! The 44 year old tells me her body looks “amazing”! Ok, I’m not expecting “amazing”, but I was counting on, at least, “improved”.  I do think my energy has improved, and that’s a good thing.

Hey @Melmike - how 'Senior' are we talking?

We've had heaps of seniors come through the forum. There used to be a few group threads going for a while, but I can't seem to find any to link you to unfortunately.... and yes 'improvement' is what you're after.

If you want us to check you're on the right track feel free to post a few days worth of your food/liquid intake & we'll be more than happy to take a look and suggest any possible tweaks if necessary...

ETA: Found some....!! Here you go.....

Then you could also have a search for posts by ArtFossil who is an advanced member who had great success with the program...

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the response! I’ll be 68 next month. I’d say I’m in pretty good shape, no major physical problems. Fairly active; I try and get to the gym at least a couple times a week.  My main  reason for doing the Whole 30 is to, hopefully, find the cause of a chronic (at least five years) skin problem.  My eyelids get dry, scaley and peels.  Sometimes it becomes raw in the skin crease. I’ve tried EVERY type of ointment, gone to several MD’s, even an “eyelid doctor”.  I was tested (skin test on the back) for allergies...nothing! Of course, I would be thrilled to lose some weight/inches as well.   Typical breakfast, either eggs or a leftover protein from dinner, (Luckily, I love leftovers!)  veggies, more veggies, occasionally a cup of blueberries or a tangerine, handful of nuts.  I only add the nuts if I didn’t have coffee, as I add a good amount of coconut cream/milk, which I’ve been counting as my breakfast fat.  Is that correct?  Lots of water all day, usually with a slice of lemon.  Lunch can be sardines/tuna, or leftover protein, a couple of cups of veggies, (beets, broccoli, cauliflower, green beans, asparagus).  Maybe a half yam or some baby potatoes.  Dinner is pretty much like lunch. If I don’t have a fat (ghee or coconut milk) in a meal, I’ll have a handful of nuts or 1/4 - 1/2 avocado.  Chamomile tea in the evening.  I’m no longer afraid of being hungry between meals, so I have cut the portions down some. To tell you the truth, that first 10 days I felt like I should have gained 10 pounds!!

It's hard to tell from how you've listed your food what your portion sizes are, but it sounds like you've got the hang of the template - 1-2 palm sized pieces of protein, fill your plate with veg, and add a fat. Unless your avocados are HUGE I'd say a half is a serving, and I'd recommend you go easy on the nuts as they can be hard on the digestive system and are known for causing skin break outs (they're quite high in inflammatory omega 6 fatty acids). Apart from that I think you're doing fine - keep on keeping on...!!

• Administrators
2 hours ago, Melmike said:

Should I count the coconut cream i put in my coffee as my breakfast fat?

Yep, you can as long as you're using a good amount of it. 1/4 cup or so would be halfish the fat you'd want to eat.

Archived