Cooking with ghee butter...?

peak

Am getting ready for a Tuesday start and am going the route of True Fare for the first 30 days to make it easier for hassle-free compliant foods during the work week.  I will have time on weekends and plan to cook compliant.

Often, I will saute vegetables in regular butter.  Will I be satisfied using ghee butter as my cooking substitute?   For the most part, I will be using olive oil seasoned with salt, pepper and basil,  but it would be good to change it up if I want that sweet savory taste?

On a similar note, I do not mind baked potatoes dry (I know, I am weird)  but is ghee butter on bakers OK as far as taste?

• Moderators

Some people love ghee. I could take it or leave it. It's not exactly like butter, but I'm okay with the flavor both for cooking with and on baked potatoes. Olive oil, salt, and pepper is also good on a baked potato, if you need to add some fat to a meal but aren't in the mood for ghee on it.

If you really want a treat for sauteed vegetables, find some compliant bacon and save the fat for cooking your vegetables in, or find some duck fat to use -- both are a nice change from olive oil or ghee.

Thanks for the reply... compliant bacon fat is a good option,  I will keep that in mind.  I read a recipe of Brussels sprouts with compliant bacon and apples...YUM!  

Appreciate the ghee opinion.  I will buy some and try it.  It has been years since having clarified butter, I think it was with lobster a long time ago.

I do not bird hunt anymore, but those game were not really fatty, but that was pheasant as opposed to duck.  The duck fat to which you mention, I assume that is domestically raised (commercial) duck?  I am not too fond of commercially raised game because I am used to and picky when I harvest and dress my own... it just does not taste the same.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Goal is -40lbs said:

The duck fat to which you mention, I assume that is domestically raised (commercial) duck?  I am not too fond of commercially raised game because I am used to and picky when I harvest and dress my own... it just does not taste the same.

I picked some up on a whim when I saw it in a store, so probably. I wouldn't know the difference, but it sounds like it might not be a good option for you. You can use other animal fats as well, like tallow or lard or chicken fat (or I presume rendered fat from any other animal, if you hunt other game or know people who do -- I don't know how those would taste, but if you have access and want to try it, go for it). 

If you have a chance to make Melissa Joulwan’s Better Butter, I highly recommend it. It’s ghee infused with garlic, ginger, and other flavors. The recipe is in her book “Well Fed 2” and may also be online through blog sites.

I use it more like a condiment than a cooking fat, and it’s great on sweet potatoes.

• 5 months later...

I have found that ghee seems to taste like an amped up version of butter, so I don't need to use nearly as much to get that flavor in my veggies.  I sometimes will cook things using avocado or olive oil and add a touch of ghee towards the end for flavor purposes.

Archived