Pre/Post WO Plan Help

Marah

Hello! Brand new to Whole 30 and excited and nervous to start. I like to run at the gym first thing in the morning 3 times a week and yoga 2 times a week. I would like to keep that up during my Whole 30.

I have dived head first into a lot of the forums and books but I just want to make sure I am doing this correctly. Any help or direction to turn would be helpful.

My plan for run days::

4:00am--Up, prepare breakfast, and get lunches packed.

Sometime between 4:30-4:45--Eat preWO/breakfast of 1 scrambbled egg and 1/4 an avacado

5:00ish to 5:30ish--Run

I HAVE to get ready for work at the gym. I don't have time to go home. But my gym does have a microwave I can use if needed.

5:30sih to 5:45ish--Eat postWO of 1 scrabbled eggs and cold sweet potato 

5:45ish to 6:00ish--Begin getting ready for work

And have lunch at lunch time, which is 11:30 but I am prepared to have some peppers if needed as I know that is a long time to go to lunch

My plan for yoga days:: (It's not high intensity so do I need a PostWO meal?)

4:00am--Up, prepare breakfast, and get lunches packed

4:20ish--Breakfast/PreWO of scrambled eggs and peppers

5-5:45--Yoga

6:00-- Small PostWO (??)

Lunch at lunch time.

I just really want to get this right! Thanks, in advance, for the help!

• Moderators

Pre- and post-WO are in addition to your three regular meals. On yoga days you may or may not need a post-wo, depending on how strenuous your workout is. 

You can download the meal template here:  https://whole30.com/pdf-downloads/ -- it explains what your meals should look like, and what pre- and post-WO meals should be.

Your pre-WO is fine on running days. Post-WO those days, have a little protein like the egg -- the instructions call for lean protein, some people would just do the egg white here because the fat in the egg is in the yolk. The starchy vegetables post-wo are optional -- you may not need them if you're getting some starchy vegetables each day with meals, or you might feel better having them then, it's something you can test for yourself and see how you feel. This explains some of the theory about post-WO foods:  http://whole9life.com/2015/02/eat-post-workout/  You'd then have breakfast after -- possibly when you get to work, or on the way to work if that's something you can do. (Please don't do anything unsafe to try to eat a meal and drive, though.)

For yoga days, if you are good eating your breakfast at that time before yoga, that's great. If it turns out that it doesn't work well for you, you could just have the same kind of pre-wo you have on your run days, and then if your yoga is not very strenuous you might be able to just do breakfast after. If your yoga is less relaxing and more challenging, you might find a post-WO helps after these days as well, but again, that's something you can try for yourself.

• 2 weeks later...

@ShannonM816, @Marah I have similar questions, but I know much less.  What should I be eating around workouts?  Should I eat before and after?  If so, how close to the workout?  I do Les Mills Bodypump classes (an hour-long workout using weights that works all of the major muscle groups).  Should what I eat around workouts change if I do different types of workouts (cardio like running vs. walking vs. Bodypump vs. cycling vs. rock climbing)?  What is the science behind what foods I should be eating around workouts and even throughout workout days?  Are there scientific resources you can recommend?  I would appreciate some guidance!  Thanks!

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, ild228 said:

@ShannonM816, @Marah I have similar questions, but I know much less.  What should I be eating around workouts?  Should I eat before and after?  If so, how close to the workout?  I do Les Mills Bodypump classes (an hour-long workout using weights that works all of the major muscle groups).  Should what I eat around workouts change if I do different types of workouts (cardio like running vs. walking vs. Bodypump vs. cycling vs. rock climbing)?  What is the science behind what foods I should be eating around workouts and even throughout workout days?  Are there scientific resources you can recommend?  I would appreciate some guidance!  Thanks!

Hi @ild228 - this topic has been discussed LOTS around here and Shannon even linked to resources in her response, did you go check that out? This sub-forum has tonnes of valuable information in it, take a peek around and see what you can find rather than us typing it all out again. As for the science behind all recommendations and rules on Whole30, the original book It Starts With Food is the resource we recommend you seek out.

Archived